Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM

418 posts, read 742,096 times

Advertisements

Unless I missed it TexasGSD, you didn't calculate anything for gasoline either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM

26 posts, read 38,646 times
Today, 03:55 PM
TexasGSD

Edit Status

9 posts, read 677 times

My retirement comes out before my take home pay, and I have a nice matching program. I did not mention car insurance but I am around $85.00 a month for car insurance.The $800-$1500 a month was the savings/ money to I can spend if I need to. Take into account for car insurance and gas lets takes another $150.00 off these cost which will put me at $650-$1350 worst case scenario. Mind you I am being very very conservative with these numbers as I do not actually spend that much.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGSD View Post
I have a company phone, and do not use a land line. I do not have a yard so I do not need water for the yard or any lawn maintence. I pay 16.95 a month with Smith Thompson for home alarm.

If your utilities are $850.00 a month thats some of the highest I have ever seen. How old is your home?
2008. When I say $850 a month that is all standard utilities: electric, gas, water, internet, tv. $850 is for the summer, in the winter it is around $650. What kind of house are you buying with no yard, a condo?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 PM

26 posts, read 38,646 times
NO the warehouse looking townhomes they have around downtown. They are made from sheet metal and have rocks for a back yard.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,850 times
Wife and I spent right around 2X our combined income on our home. We also put 20% down, so the amount financed was more like 1.65X income.

TexasGSD... if you are frugal you can do it. But a lot of people like to buy play toys, electronics, furniture, clothes, eat out, etc.. A lot of us have kids too, which can be very expensive. And of course with owning a home it always seems like there's something that needs repair or you want to improve on.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Wife and I spent right around 2X our combined income on our home. We also put 20% down, so the amount financed was more like 1.65X income.

TexasGSD... if you are frugal you can do it. But a lot of people like to buy play toys, electronics, furniture, clothes, eat out, etc.. A lot of us have kids too, which can be very expensive. And of course with owning a home it always seems like there's something that needs repair or you want to improve on.

This, I never understood why people would spend so much of their income on buying a home to just stare at 4 walls. I would buy less of home or stay renting, buying a home has a lot of hidden costs and is a gamble that prices will always go up. Don't count on your income always going up, what if it doesn't. What if you lost your job tomorrow or became disabled. Think about what would happen to our home values if the oil & gas industry starts shrinking, it is eventually has to stop going up especially with so many tree huggers out there wanting alternative energies. The line of if I rent in the same area it is more expensive is not a good excuse then maybe you should not be living in that area. Live and enjoy life a little, go out to eat, go on vacation, buy things you enjoy, have a hobby ect ect.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM

131 posts, read 537,261 times
Quote:
Today, 03:55 PM
TexasGSD

Edit Status

9 posts, read 677 times

My retirement comes out before my take home pay, and I have a nice matching program. I did not mention car insurance but I am around $85.00 a month for car insurance.The $800-$1500 a month was the savings/ money to I can spend if I need to. Take into account for car insurance and gas lets takes another $150.00 off these cost which will put me at $650-$1350 worst case scenario. Mind you I am being very very conservative with these numbers as I do not actually spend that much.
Even your $650/mo "discretionary income" is pretty aggressive IMO. You're leaving out all sorts of costs, and I think it's pretty tough to continually eat healthy for <$8/day like you've budgeted, nevermind going out to eat. I'd say double that to get a more comfortable number that would handle the very seldom trips to a lower-end chain restaurant. So right there you're down to about $400, and still haven't budgeted for any entertainment or other activities.

IMO, you're getting to a point where if you didn't get a good bonus for a while, or even regular raises to keep up with inflation, then you're in for a rough time.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Quote:
This is where escrows come into play so I am not expected to drop my insurance and taxes in all at one time but that comes out of my monthly mortgage which was calculated above.
you are still paying the same amount, and the escrow company has the ability to change the amount you owe. depending on your type of loan you may actually end up paying them money to manage your escrow. imo it is a safer bet you do your own savings and pay taxes and insurance on your own. but you have to manage money really well. at the end of the year you will still have paid those thousands of dollars for taxes and insurance - just by paying a balloon payment each month (that you dont have control of). but, im not saying everyone has the discipline to do that. we all know we as a people are not good at saving

Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
you are still paying the same amount, and the escrow company has the ability to change the amount you owe. depending on your type of loan you may actually end up paying them money to manage your escrow. imo it is a safer bet you do your own savings and pay taxes and insurance on your own. but you have to manage money really well. at the end of the year you will still have paid those thousands of dollars for taxes and insurance - just by paying a balloon payment each month (that you dont have control of). but, im not saying everyone has the discipline to do that. we all know we as a people are not good at saving
Usually the bank will require mandatory escrow unless you have a certain percentage of equity in the property (25% I know for some).

Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
This is a true statement. We also put down 20% and have a 15 year mortgage. Price paid is 2.6x, loan amount 2.1x and it is tight financially but we're hoping to have another income coming in within the year.

Either way, I'm really liking the fact that in 5 years we'll have some SERIOUS equity in our home! Our last house was a 30 year mortgage and it was like staring into a black hole.
I thought I was pretty savvy about stuff when I bought, but I didn't know this. We had a 30-year mortgage (ratio was about 2.5 x income). We just refinanced to a 20-year, now we're building much more equity. Get a 15 or 20 year mortgage if you can or else you're just paying interest for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston