Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

This is just so, so wrong. Looks like the police AND the Harris County District Attorney's Office completely lost their common sense.

Mom sues police over arrest | News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 AM

340 posts, read 802,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is just so, so wrong. Looks like the police AND the Harris County District Attorney's Office completely lost their common sense.

Mom sues police over arrest | News - Home

From reading the article alone this seems outrageous which makes me think there might be more details not being printed, but if not, then I hope she wins and wins big.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:21 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Has to be more to the story... like she was zonked out on alcohol/drugs. If they arrest people for letting their 9 year old kids play alone outside our entire neighborhood would be locked up. My 8 year old and his group of friends (ranging from 6-9) are always outside on bikes/scooters/playing football without parents.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:37 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Here is an additional info: Courthouse News Service

Looks like the woman was innocent, all charges were dropped and CPS found no cause for concern regarding the well being of Cooper's children and dropped the investigation too.
No word about a history of alcohol, drugs or other abuse. Probably just a nasty neighbor. Look at the video - that neighbor said: "no comments".
I thinks if there were any valid concerns, she surely would talk about, just to justify her call...

Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
There IS more to the story. The below article states that she "often allows her 6- and 9-year-old children to ride their scooters on the street while she watches from a chair in the driveway or through the large windows on the front of her house."

I was on the mother's side until the below news article added her statement that she watches the kids from inside the house. I dont think a 6-year-old should be riding a motorized anything in the street, much less be unsupervised -- and I dont believe the mother's claim that she never leaves the front window when she's watching them from inside.

Courthouse News Service

Edited to add that Elnina and I were posting at the same time.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
wasn't it in Pearland where the woman/kids got in trouble for the kids riding around on motorized scooters/little bumper cars (whatever the heck they are called). If I remember correctly quite a few people wanted the mother's head on a stake. but it took one of the kids nearly getting hit by a car. what if this lady's kids had been hit by a car. an ounce of prevention goes a long way - an arrest though is silly. police could have just scared her into some more sense.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Makes me wonder how the four of us survived..playng the street, running amuck through the neighbordhood barefoot,skateboard skiing without helmets, kick the can in the dark.ramp jumping on roller skates at 5, riding dirt bikes through the neighborhood,biking without helmets...we even did stunts off the high dive... Back in the good days of Darwinism

Man, if we'd only had video game and cartoon network babysitters we would have been much safer and had more fun...

Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Makes me wonder how the four of us survived..playng the street, running amuck through the neighbordhood barefoot,skateboard skiing without helmets, kick the can in the dark.ramp jumping on roller skates at 5, riding dirt bikes through the neighborhood,biking without helmets...we even did stunts off the high dive... Back in the good days of Darwinism

Man, if we'd only had video game and cartoon network babysitters we would have been much safer and had more fun...
Exactly. I'm young but I still grew up knowing if you acted up in the store you'd get a pop/light snap pat and you'd straighten up. NOW, you pop your kid even lightly and CPS and SWAT is on your ass in 10 seconds and you get a chauffeured ride downtown

These children are the future. It's lookin' pretty bleak.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Exactly. I'm young but I still grew up knowing if you acted up in the store you'd get a pop/light snap pat and you'd straighten up. NOW, you pop your kid even lightly and CPS and SWAT is on your ass in 10 seconds and you get a chauffeured ride downtown

These children are the future. It's lookin' pretty bleak.
Lol... "Im going to count to three, and if you're still doing it you're getting a spanking." Never once was it an idle threat. We would get it right on the behind in the middle of the store. People would applaud, not look aghast.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
you too easily confuse a pop or spanking with what so many kids get. i am sure the pop and spankings you got didn't leave with you concussions or scars or unable to sit for days on end. until you see the amount of black eyes, broken bones, crushed skulls, and torn rectums that happen because parents think they are "disciplining" their kids you'd think twice about telling people stories about how good physical punishment was for you. it leads to a culture of understanding for all types of physical punishment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston