Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

First, thanks for taking the time to take a look at my thread. I'll get right to the point, I need some advice on what I can do better to find my first job. I'm interested in working in oil and gas.

I graduated from Vanderbilt University in May 2011 with a B.E. in Chemical Engineering. Here's a quick rundown of my qualifications:

1. My cumulative GPA is 2.95 and my major GPA is 3.28 (I only list the major gpa on my resume).
2. I did one internship related to Coal-to-Liquid technology during the summer right after graduating (in Beijing, so doubles as int'l experience).
3. I did my capstone project on Gas-to-Liquid microchannel technology in school, worked with a team and got a good result (an A and praise from the professor).
4. I did research for 3 years, doing programming for a biology lab at Vandy (which I present as problem-solving experience). This is how I spent my summers while at Vanderbilt.
5. I was the president of a medium-sized student organization for two years at Vanderbilt.
6. I can speak very basic Chinese, and I have an ongoing interest in improving.

I moved to Houston at the beginning of June to find an engineering opportunity for myself in the oil and gas industry. I've tried a lot of different approaches, but haven't had much success finding anything. Here's what I've been doing:

1. Filling out online applications, on company websites but also on my school's Career Center site.
2. Going in person to companies that I'm interested in, and hand delivering a cover letter and resume. I try to get this into the hands of decision makers as much as I can, but that's often harder than it sounds.
3. Doing informational interviews with Vanderbilt alumni. This has probably been the most fruitful part, as I've been offered some help and some good leads by doing this.
4. Trying to do other networking. For example, I'm going to a meeting of the Society of Petroleum Engineers this week.

I know my cumulative GPA is something that rules me out for employment at most of the big companies (Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc.). I'm interested in getting a Master's for a second chance at a great GPA, but I feel that I would first need to bolster my graduate application with work experience and work to be in a position financially that would allow me to go back to school.

Mostly I am just trying to keep doing the things I've been doing, and hoping that I'll get a chance. I've had one interview with a major engineering contracting company that went very well - my interviewer said that I did fantastically in the interview and that he was shocked that no one had hired me yet (verbatim quotes), but HR later told me all their positions were filled - but thanks for applying.

I make a conscious effort to maintain a positive attitude but my situation worries me. I do feel a bit of a ticking clock, as with each week I am further out of school without my first opportunity. Any insights or comments would be really appreciated.

TL;DR: I need ideas on breaking into the oil and gas industry for my first job. I've been applying in person, online, and networking with alums and others, but I've only had one interview. Any insights or comments would be really appreciated.

If you're wondering how I got in this position: while I was still in school, I was assured that I would be offered a position I couldn't refuse after finishing the internship. That offer didn't come through. I didn't know what to do after that. In the time between that offer falling through and moving to Houston, I moved back to Nashville and I was basically trying to figure out what to do next with my life while working two jobs to pay the bills and saving up money to come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,644,429 times
In my experience, I really think you need that master's degree. Good luck, and maybe others can give you some more advice.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,787,606 times
Due to economic uncertainty many places are in a hiring freeze, except the drilling operations. What type of job are you applying for? There are several drilling/completion type jobs out there for rig work. It often takes 6 months to get a job through the online process.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:10 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,244,016 times
I would not get too hung up on working solely inside the field of Chemical Engineering. An engineering degree is valuable in every field. You can always get a job at another engineering company or oil field services place and then get some experience and move laterally into the type of position you are actually looking for.

Beggers cant be choosers and when your unemployed its always more difficult to find work. Get your first job, get some experience and then move into your desired career...it may not be glamorous, it may not be exactly what you want to do, but there are not that many folks looking to train kids fresh out of college....

Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,327,066 times
With a Chem Engr degree, working as a facilities engineer in the midstream (processing and distribution from the well to market/refinery) is your best bet. There are midstream jobs in places like North Dakota and South Tx (Eagle ford formation) as well as Midland Tx. Also there are jobs in Pittsburgh for the NE. I recommend you use a tool called inDeed which is free and search for midstream chem engineering jobs in those locations. I mention these locations because many experienced engineers wont live in these spots..... so your willingness to go live there with your degree should be enough to get you in the door. You will likely spend time traveling to be with more experienced engineers at the Houston or Dallas locations to be trained. This is what approach I recommend for you .

Another alternative is to pursue a job with a service company or engineering company. Fluor comes to mind in Houston as does Halliburton or Schlumber also in Houston and other locations..... this approach would be a second in priority to the approach I mentioned above.

Good luck! Play up Vandy in your resume if you havent already, its a great school but not one most associated with oil and gas engineering.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 AM

670 posts, read 1,432,027 times
Do you have a LinkedIn profile? If not that's a good first step.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,350,188 times
Try Technip and CBI. they are the ones agressively hiring right now.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 PM

79 posts, read 300,994 times
GPA is definitely hurting you. Look at entry level jobs at the big consulting companies. They are hiring but you may not necessarily be working on your field.

As another poster suggested I would try and do that Masters and get a better GPA.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM

41 posts, read 126,170 times
www.indeed.com My company uses indeed as does 99% of all others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: