Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 PM

3 posts, read 74,069 times

Advertisements

I live in Harris County (Katy). I have lived in my neighborhood going on 4 years now. A year ago, a house was built across the street from me, and a couple moved in. The very first week they were there, they called the police out to my house because we were parked on the street blocking our driveway but not theirs. The policeman laughed when he came and said we weren't doing anything wrong. The guy has made smart remarks to 2 of my children when they are outside, one who is 8 years old! The HOA has sent several letters to my landlord about where our daughter parks and said NO ONE is to park on the streets more than 72 hours, no problem since we all work and go to school, so the cars are being moved daily. Now, sometimes when my daughter comes in town from school, she parks on the street in front of this neighbors house. So tonight, a policeman hired by our HOA to patrol our neighborhood knocked on my door and said the HOA President asked him to come talk to us about parking the car there. This neighbor parks his car there everynight but we should give him courtesy and just move it. He said we weren't breaking any laws, so he was just asking us. I say it's a public street and no laws are being broken so why does it bother him so much. The officer said himself that I was a topic in a HOA meeting because the neighbor keeps calling the President and they are friends. (the officers words) He even said that they have their picks and chooses of who can do what. He also informed me that this neighbor told them that my husband threatened to kill him, told them he was a professional boxer etc etc. This man doesn't even know us and the incident he spoke of, where I was outside and he began to curse at me, and my husband just so happened to be in the window looking and came out and told him he'd bust his butt for disrespecting his wife, but that was it. He blatantly lied and did not tell what he had said. Of course, as I'm black and my husband is white, I feel he's just a racist. What else could it be since we stay to ourselves and have never had any problems in our neighborhood until this guy moves in. I feel I am being singled out by my HOA, as everybody parks on the street and not always just in front of their home. He can park there, but I can't? So it's not a safety issue. The HOA and this neighbor are harrassing us, but because they call the police it looks like we are doing something. I just want to know if I have any legal footing in this matter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,760,445 times
Just park your damn car in your damn garage or own drive way and be done with mate. Why park it in the street to begin with? Too lazy to walk, too lazy to park the other cars in the garage, to lazy to do the courteous thing? So your convenience is becoming your neighbor inconvenience? How is that for a reality check. Yes you gonna throw in my face that you're not breaking any laws. Yes I know that, they can't have laws for stupidity and common sense.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 PM

571 posts, read 1,195,233 times
My neighbor parks across the street from me, directly behind my driveway (but not blocking me). I hate it because I have to angle out a little more and be careful not to hit the car. It's a very wide street with lots of space so I have no idea why he insists on parking in that spot. My husband asked him if he didn't mind parking it a little further down, but I'm not sure the guy understood and he keeps parking it there. It's annoying, but I would never complain to the HOA or call the cops.

Needless to say, if you want peace with your neighbors, park elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 AM

I don't care about peace with him because he came into our neighborhood being rude. I have peace with every other neighbor here, so I understand that. Actually, where HE parks everynight and where she was is right behind MY driveway and I have to maneuver out of MY driveway, yet I've never called anyone on him. He's parked there as I type. I would care about having peace with him if he weren't a *******, cursing me and my kids because he is a BIGOT! We've done nothing to him. He called me GIRL on several occasions, in a manner where it is obviously a put down. I'm a grown woman and will not be disrespected by a bigot that has a problem with the color of my skin. He shouldn't have moved in if he didn't want black neighbors, I was here long before he thought to come. Oh, and how do I know he's prejudice? Because the police officer said he made racial remarks about me.

Last edited by disgustedintx; 09-20-2012 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 AM

NEXT! You don't know what you're talking about Ethanw, thank you

Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 AM

61,035 posts, read 85,858,261 times
I don't know if we can resolve your problem. Obviously the HOA is also against you and they can be a real pain in the rear when they want to. I would try to sort all that peaceful, maybe ask the HOA for advice, maybe suggest a meeting for all of you.
If you feel that you are harassed or discriminated, seek advice by a lawyer, but do not underestimate the power of HOA.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 AM

340 posts, read 798,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Just park your damn car in your damn garage or own drive way and be done with mate. Why park it in the street to begin with? Too lazy to walk, too lazy to park the other cars in the garage, to lazy to do the courteous thing? So your convenience is becoming your neighbor inconvenience? How is that for a reality check. Yes you gonna throw in my face that you're not breaking any laws. Yes I know that, they can't have laws for stupidity and common sense.

+1, if people would just use their driveway as it was intended none of these issues would exist.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:43 AM

847 posts, read 2,117,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
When people get near to having heart attacks or strokes over parking in a neighborhood street, in a lawful manner too, you know our society is in some dire straits.

The fact is there are a lot of power-tripping a-holes out there that just like to make trouble. If there's some buddy-buddy favoritism going on and mean-spirited jerks out there...I don't blame disgustedintx for standing ground.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 AM

847 posts, read 2,117,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
+1, if people would just use their driveway as it was intended none of these issues would exist.
Yeah, easy for some people to say. Some households have members who do multiple shifts (concomitant to different sleeping patterns) or even domestic dynamics issues that might preclude simply getting up and moving cars around playing musical driveway.

Easy to say the "driveway" thing when one is not in those shoes. If street parking is legal, then it's legal. The uptights don't own the street. As long as one is parked legally, not blocking driveways, mailboxes and such, whatcha going to really do?

I have a couple cars in my driveway so I have to park on the street. Luckily that's not really an issue in my neighborhood.

All these self-righteous folks who use the term "lazy." These are the same types who probably congest the closest parking spots near a Randall's or WAL-MART...while I simply park quite farther out to avoid fender benders, parking lot rage and such.

I do nightly 25 minute power walks after my shift through the Med Center...so I guess a little stroll through a parking lot ain't nothing to me.

Oh yeah, some folks like me actually get around to using METRO more than half the time for work in order to alleviate freeway congestion, avoid road rage and leave more cash in my pocket than into Big Oil's coffers.

I bet the uptights and self-appointed public street chairpersons don't generally use public transportation. But they want to throw around the term "lazy."

Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 AM

339 posts, read 797,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Needless to say, if you want peace with your neighbors, park elsewhere.
Peace is the best solution. No matter who is right, or wrong, you guys just need to find a solution because eventually this will lead to some sort of confrontation in some form. Have HOA come and you both talk it out. If you explain the situation maybe your neighbor can understand, or else your neighbor will keep his bad behavior. If the situation isn't defused, ask your neighbors to support you and have them address to HOA. If you get a majority of support, it should keep your neighbor from harassing you. It is dead wrong for the neighbor to talk to your kids like that, this is a situation between you and your neighbor. One of the first thing I would tell officer is that your neighbor is harrassing your kids, I bet they get on the case quicker than you telling them about the parking situation. It is less stressful, if you confront it peacefully then let this keep boiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: