Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM

24 posts, read 47,244 times

Advertisements

interesting to know opinions regarding the house quality back in the 60, 70s vs today. When you go to Memorial, see those old houses, then go to Katy see the houses built after 2003 with improved building code, better insulation, more energy efficient, do the older houses have any quality advantages or is it a hands down no brainer to go with newer houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Two completely different animals that appeal to two completely different buyers. With all the energy efficient replacement products out there for older homes, it's really down to a few dollars difference when the bills come in. I'll probably give you more answers than you were looking for, but that's my thing.

I've lived in and remodeled old, rented a newer tract home, and recently built new. Learned from the past and brought those ideas into the new build.

Memorial: Once you put in new windows and blow in some insulation, it darn close to the newer builds, with the bonus of being able to open the windows and have no trouble cooling the upstairs. The trees, lot sizes, and detached garages help keep temps cooler around the home. I found my bills in the older house were less than the tract rental of equal size. Do I think the houses in the 60s were built better..oh hell yeah. The product, lumber and labor was of much higher quality back then.Real wood floors on screeds, traditional layouts that reduce the sound from carrying throughout the house. No "Built in 180 days" promises. Labor was skilled, not direct from Mexico. If you really have your heart set on it, you can give it as much bling, or better, than a equal valued,newer home in Katy. I think 1970s houses can be a nightmare, and 1980s are full of cheaper product.

Negatives: 8 ft ceilings. Knowing that if the house's electrical or plumbing isn't updated, you will be doing it. Maintenance could be immediate, no builder to contract to fix anything that goes wrong within a few months of move in. The floors might creak and groan like a older home, some people don't like, I don't mind. The house will always have a slightly "old" feeling to it no matter what you do, and some people just aren't able to handle that.

Why you buy in Memorial: You are purchasing your neighbors. Many owners are original owners, or children of the original owners that have returned to raise their own families. You want bigger lots, more mature trees and a little more mixed age group. You like a small school district with residual families. Non-transfer area. Your house and the land it sits on will appreciate

New Tract: It's shiney and new, and will impress your friends. You won't have to screw with it for 10 years. It has more green technology that hermetically seals you into the house. Lots more light switches and plugs, along with better lightening systems. Do I think it's built better than 1960s? Hell no..unless you get up into the 1.5 million dollar custom price point. While the exterior may blow you away, in the long run, I don't think the bones will have the same life span as older construction.

Negatives: Second stories are impossible to cool in the hot months if it's open to the first floor. Garage in the front. Lack of mature shade trees and privacy borders. Slammed up next to your neighbors...oh yeah did I say garage in the front? Engineered flooring. Your house could depreciate with age (depending if its in an newer area) and the lot value will be stagnant.

Why you buy in Katy: You don't want to mess with an old house. You want to be in a neighborhood with all young families. And it's simply cheaper, whether at purchase price, in taxes, or in regards to short term maintenance. You like moving to an area where everyone is new there,everyone makes about the same income and there's no "old circle" to break into.

I guess at the end of the day you have to go with your budget and your personality. If energy efficiency is a deal breaker for you, then it's safer to go with Katy. Memorial is going to take work, on the house and breaking into the vibe of the area. Katy you are just going to move in and get on with it. Best of both worlds is new and in Memorial.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 10-02-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM

24 posts, read 47,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Two completely different animals that appeal to two completely different buyers. With all the energy efficient replacement products out there for older homes, it's really down to a few dollars difference when the bills come in. I'll probably give you more answers than you were looking for, but that's my thing.

I've lived in and remodeled old, rented a newer tract home, and recently built new. Learned from the past and brought those ideas into the new build.

Memorial: Once you put in new windows and blow in some insulation, it darn close to the newer builds, with the bonus of being able to open the windows and have no trouble cooling the upstairs. The trees, lot sizes, and detached garages help keep temps cooler around the home. I found my bills in the older house were less than the tract rental of equal size. Do I think the houses in the 60s were built better..oh hell yeah. The product, lumber and labor was of much higher quality back then.Real wood floors on screeds, traditional layouts that reduce the sound from carrying throughout the house. No "Built in 180 days" promises. Labor was skilled, not direct from Mexico. If you really have your heart set on it, you can give it as much bling, or better, than a equal valued,newer home in Katy. I think 1970s houses can be a nightmare, and 1980s are full of cheaper product.

Negatives: 8 ft ceilings. Knowing that if the house's electrical or plumbing isn't updated, you will be doing it. Maintenance could be immediate, no builder to contract to fix anything that goes wrong within a few months of move in. The floors might creak and groan like a older home, some people don't like, I don't mind. The house will always have a slightly "old" feeling to it no matter what you do, and some people just aren't able to handle that.

Why you buy in Memorial: You are purchasing your neighbors. Many owners are original owners, or children of the original owners that have returned to raise their own families. You want bigger lots, more mature trees and a little more mixed age group. You like a small school district with residual families. Non-transfer area. Your house and the land it sits on will appreciate

New Tract: It's shiney and new, and will impress your friends. You won't have to screw with it for 10 years. It has more green technology that hermetically seals you into the house. Lots more light switches and plugs, along with better lightening systems. Do I think it's built better than 1960s? Hell no..unless you get up into the 1.5 million dollar custom price point. While the exterior may blow you away, in the long run, I don't think the bones will have the same life span as older construction.

Negatives: Second stories are impossible to cool in the hot months if it's open to the first floor. Garage in the front. Lack of mature shade trees and privacy borders. Slammed up next to your neighbors...oh yeah did I say garage in the front? Engineered flooring. Your house could depreciate with age (depending if its in an newer area) and the lot value will be stagnant.

Why you buy in Katy: You don't want to mess with an old house. You want to be in a neighborhood with all young families. And it's simply cheaper, whether at purchase price, in taxes, or in regards to short term maintenance. You like moving to an area where everyone is new there,everyone makes about the same income and there's no "old circle" to break into.

I guess at the end of the day you have to go with your budget and your personality. If energy efficiency is a deal breaker for you, then it's safer to go with Katy. Memorial is going to take work, on the house and breaking into the vibe of the area. Katy you are just going to move in and get on with it. Best of both worlds is new and in Memorial.
LOL, you are funny, new and in Memorial means > 1 mil, hehe! But thank you very much for the detailed information, great insight.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
There are old and terrible homes built in every decade as well as good and solid homes, but it is a matter of cost. EasilyAmused is thinking of the kickerillo homes in memorial which were top end product back then (and their prices reflected it). His new homes are high end too (lakes of the parkway) and their price reflects that as EA pointed out. The tract homes in long point and spring branch woods though are much less quality and they reflect that. You can get quality homes in Katy, but at $100/sqft new you're not goon to get the quality of Memorial kickerillo. Those are closer to $200/sqft houses. But everyone needs a place to live and building codes mean the Katy house will last you long enough to raise a family, but in the end the life cycle will me shorter. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
A custom home built in any decade will be better than a tract home built in any decade based on "build quality" or the "bones" of the structure.

Old homes have nothing on new homes in terms of energy efficiency unless someone has invested a lot of money to upgrade their old home.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
I checked out that Lakes of Parkway, I can't imagine buying such a huge house on such a tiny lot as those.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I checked out that Lakes of Parkway, I can't imagine buying such a huge house on such a tiny lot as those.
New development lots in the loop make those lots look practically enormous,lol

Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Me either. Also it has a very artifical feel to it.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default You know what you can expect depending on age...

I have a 100+ year old home and am having work done on it this week; the framers there today were installing a hidden beam, and at one point, the contractor stopped work to look at the way it was framed and shook his head and said 'this has been here 100 years, I can see it will be here 100 more years if taken care of'. They used old growth wood, and if you cut one of those old 2x4s in half, you see scores of growth rings, it is solid. Compare that with new wood from any lumber warehouse and you see a few to maybe 10 rings on it, and so soft, you can write on it by indenting the wood with your fingernail; new wood is also light and needs more reinforcement.

Newer homes are more efficient, but old homes can be brought up to date with a cost. But as EasilyAmused noted, old homes have natural occuring defects. For example, 100 year old joists will sag, and they cannot be straightened... it took them at least 50 years to get that way, and have been like that for another 50, no way that wood will bend back into shape. But you learn to accept the defects as character. Looking at the beautiful red heart pine floors that are 100+ years old always puts a smile on our faces and we ignore the crooked landing, slight sag, etc.

Lastly, one thing about old homes, and if you have kids... lead paint. Most likely any home built before 1980 has lead paint somewhere. In the home we purchased, we gutted all the trim, baseboards, casings, sheetrock from walls and ceilings, and replaced with new to "Get The Led Out".

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 10-03-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 10,530 times
I like newer homes better because they offer more space and are more efficient. The house I'm living in right know was built 1965 in a late 1960s early 1970s neighborhood. I love my current house but it is not as cool as the newer 2-story homes with the game room, walk-in closets, and big master bathroom. I take a look in the houses around me and most of the 1-story plans come with 3 bedrooms and 1-1/2 baths. Basically the master bath has the half bath and if you want to use the tub you have to use the hallway bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: