Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM

139 posts, read 356,145 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that right out of college you would get those salaries. Even though, talking to friends in the oil industry....That many Chemical, Petroleum, and Mechanical engineers from top tier colleges are getting $70-$80K starting.

I did an MD/PhD. I did not have massive debt. After I finished my Fellowship, I had maybe ~$46K in debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Those salaries are mid career. No engineering grad is crossing the stage with a degree then signing on for $100k by September. September in 4 years maybe.

That's just not happening.

Even you had to make chump change for a good number of years until your residency was over (chump change for how much schooling and $$$,$$$ it takes to get to that MD and be on your own). Or maybe you had rich parents and had no $200k med school loans so that $35-45k during residency wasn't being annihilated by loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM

35 posts, read 131,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrecker View Post
did that a long time ago..bad decision..too much internal competition and cut throat..will never sell cheap japanese or american made cars again, maybe luxury line. they are always hiring because of high turnover, disloyalty to staff and customers, no integrity, have too many sales staff to began with, awful hours with no work/life balance. had a very bad experience with that..
It's not for everyone... You need a lot more than a college degree these days to make a six figure salary, there is a reason most people don't.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrecker View Post
i have been seeing people saying consider oil and gas/medical industrial but what good is it if you have a college degree and no experience? all of the jobs i have seen online for oil and gas are engineering...exxon/mobil, conoco/phillips, valero, chevron, shell..etc
i have no engineering degree or medical degree so that is pointless....my degree is i.t.related but i cant land anything without 3-7 years of experience so im not even interested in i.t. anymore and unfortunately having to pay sallie mae. too many 20k-30k jobs i come across everyday. i have been looking into banking, finance, real estate, and fitness, but nothing worthwhile having or even getting a phone call for. i am staying away from retail. have done that in my teen years and nothing to make a good living from. my work background is customer service, sales, finance, operations, mid and senior management. i have looked into some professional executive sites for jobs and most require you pay for the service for an executive recruiter or they dont call you if you never had a 6 figure job. if anyone could help or have connections, i would appreciate it alot, thanks.
Stop looking at the want ads long enough to make a list of every place you might like to work, then send your resume' (you can usually do this online). Send out a lot of resume's. Since you aren't applying for a particular job, make sure your cover letter explains why you would like to work for that company and what traits you have that would make you a great employee.

Then get back to looking at the want ads if you'd like. If you see a particular job advertised that requires experience, if you think you can do the job, send your resume' anyway. Within reason, of course - don't apply for a job that requires a specific degree like engineering or medical.

If you get offered a job you don't particularly want, but it is with a company you want to work for, take the offer. Once in the door, you may be able to work your way to the position you really want. If not, well at least you have gained some experience for that next job hunt.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM

38 posts, read 60,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
Stop looking at the want ads long enough to make a list of every place you might like to work, then send your resume' (you can usually do this online). Send out a lot of resume's. Since you aren't applying for a particular job, make sure your cover letter explains why you would like to work for that company and what traits you have that would make you a great employee.

Then get back to looking at the want ads if you'd like. If you see a particular job advertised that requires experience, if you think you can do the job, send your resume' anyway. Within reason, of course - don't apply for a job that requires a specific degree like engineering or medical.

If you get offered a job you don't particularly want, but it is with a company you want to work for, take the offer. Once in the door, you may be able to work your way to the position you really want. If not, well at least you have gained some experience for that next job hunt.

have been doing this since day i was laid off and still currently do.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
If you can not get a job right out of college with an engineering degree then your grades were so abysmal that you probably wont make a good engineer.

Engineers starting salaries have always been low. Its how every company, even the small ones, weed out the junk candidates and pure academics....A good engineer will go from $50-$100K in less than 4 years. If that is not fast enough then your expectations are out of line with the real world.

There are lots of great jobs out there...the only problem is that you have to have actually set yourself up for them by getting a useful degree. If you expect to earn money with a History, English, psychology, or any other liberal arts degree then you better be an entrepreneur, because you are a dime a dozen and your degree choice told most employers everything they needed to know about your work ethic.
work ethic? try going through a graduate or even under graduate linguistics program. willing to bet you'd look like a dummy. work ethic.

i am an ME and quit my job after a few years. You do have to be stupid or a horrible person to not get some sort of engineering job right out of college. I was far from that. Went to law school (why I thought that would be a better calling than working in O&G dunno) and left. I have a psych degree and a masters. I make enough money to buy a house on my own, car, vacation, maintain payments on a vacation home etc. I still have lots of friends in law and engineering. let me tell you I put them to shame the amount of work I get done in a single week.

some degrees are important degrees i.e. psychology. because they are so important you NEED a masters. engineering is important but you can get a great job for life with just 4 years. you aren't treating families and children and your business will cover your back if you explode people.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
work ethic? try going through a graduate or even under graduate linguistics program. willing to bet you'd look like a dummy. work ethic.

i am an ME and quit my job after a few years. You do have to be stupid or a horrible person to not get some sort of engineering job right out of college. I was far from that. Went to law school (why I thought that would be a better calling than working in O&G dunno) and left. I have a psych degree and a masters. I make enough money to buy a house on my own, car, vacation, maintain payments on a vacation home etc. I still have lots of friends in law and engineering. let me tell you I put them to shame the amount of work I get done in a single week.

some degrees are important degrees i.e. psychology. because they are so important you NEED a masters. engineering is important but you can get a great job for life with just 4 years. you aren't treating families and children and your business will cover your back if you explode people.
But therein lies the difference...your psychology degree is still worthless without pursuing your education to another level and thereby differentiating yourself from the tens of thousands of other psychology majors....Simply going to college and getting a degree in psychology is worthless without more. I stand by my original statement.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I see jobs paying well over $100k base for three year experienced engineer with oil and gas production operators and the experience in this same business. With bonus they are doing great..... huge shortage because ..... well I dont want to get it to and be considered off topic. Good reason there is a shortage that is PC is its a tough degree, requires math and science aptitude and hard long hours hitting the books not the bars.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM

259 posts, read 510,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Those salaries are mid career. No engineering grad is crossing the stage with a degree then signing on for $100k by September. September in 4 years maybe.

That's just not happening.

Even you had to make chump change for a good number of years until your residency was over (chump change for how much schooling and $$$,$$$ it takes to get to that MD and be on your own). Or maybe you had rich parents and had no $200k med school loans so that $35-45k during residency wasn't being annihilated by loans.

Actually Petroleum Engineering from UT-Austin or Texas A&M can get between 80k-100k PLUS a bonus with an undergrad degree. The Master's degree I'm getting at Texas A&M is petroleum related and it also gets in the 90k-100l range plus signing bonus. This is why I am making the short commute into College Station instead of going to U of H. There is no substitute for the "Network".

Old 10-03-2012, 07:48 PM

38 posts, read 60,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDinTelfair View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that right out of college you would get those salaries. Even though, talking to friends in the oil industry....That many Chemical, Petroleum, and Mechanical engineers from top tier colleges are getting $70-$80K starting.

I did an MD/PhD. I did not have massive debt. After I finished my Fellowship, I had maybe ~$46K in debt.

i knew mechanic, electrica,l and civil engineers..... some with bachelors and some with masters...none of them push 50 grand out of college...

Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Its a pity that the colleges figure ways for you to spend your time buying their courses but offer very little is training the students how to get a job... First you have to know what you want to be doing 10 years from now and then find a company that has that job for people that work their way into getting it. First you got to show them you want to work at any level to learn the business because you really are interested and then bust arse and see what happens....college never gets a person a real job,It is just a tool to be used to keep one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston