Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

I also want to know how much is Cali Mex authentically Mexican? I never got the impression. Baja Fresh and Poquito Mas were authentically Mexican if we are going by the native eateries not authentic Mexican owned places.
The only major differences Ive noticed is regional variation. Carne Asada fries are not big in Texas, Chimichangas are not big in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,209 times
Quote:
How can you guys not find real Mexican food in Houston? It's all over just not as well known or touted as big tex mex restaurants. You have to go the Mexican areas and eat at the taquerias and small mom and pop cafes.
I'll be perfectly honest. The majority of forum members would have to step WAY outside of their comfort zone to do that. They just won't tell you that because it is not PC, and instead come up with a lame excuse as you can plainly see.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:19 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I'll be perfectly honest. The majority of forum members would have to step WAY outside of their comfort zone to do that. They just won't tell you that because it is not PC, and instead come up with a lame excuse as you can plainly see.
That makes total sense. The whining in here was getting on my nerves. I don't know why Californians think we don't have real Mexicans who own real Mexican cafes. They act as though our Mexican population aren't real Mexicans and all they eat is fake Tex Mex. Get your butts to real Mexican places and step out of Cinco Ranch!

Baja Fresh and Del Taco aren't real Mexican eateries either. I wouldn't judge all the Mexican food by it or LA's El Cholo though. Get real.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,654 times
All you people from California that don't like the Texmex food in Texas are welcome to go back to California. I don't understand why people move here and then complain its not like home. You obviously moved here for a reason get used to it or leave.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Try Pico's Mex-Mex. be warned though...it can be spicy! The Chilorio is fantastic.

I think the name changed when they changed locations, now it's just Picos.

http://picos.net

I think they have the best margaritas in Houston, and the happy hour is good.

Molinas has some grilled chicken entrees and a burrito that's good. You can ask for the burrito to not have the chili con carne sauce on top. The Fish tacos get pretty good reviews, although I've never had them there.

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-09-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 AM

Even if they don't like the Tex Mex at least go find some real delicious Mexican food. But dont act as though good Mexican can't be found and woe is you for having to deal with Tex Mex. A lot of Tex Mex is good and would sell hand over fist if introduced more in California. You can't tell me Los Cucos wouldn't be a bit popular there. The whining is just nostalgic chest thumping.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,209 times
Quote:
Get your butts to real Mexican places and step out of Cinco Ranch!
I'm not a fan of Katy either, but to be honest those taquerias and mom & pops you're referring to are just as absent in the trendy spots in the inner loop that a lot of people also don't leave except for going to work. City or suburbs, those restaurants don't exist where the rent is too high. That's why you get silly comments such as "there is no real Mexican food here" from the worldly inner loopers as well aS suburbanites.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
I'm not a fan of Katy either, but to be honest those taquerias and mom & pops you're referring to are just as absent in the trendy spots in the inner loop that a lot of people also don't leave except for going to work. City or suburbs, those restaurants don't exist where the rent is too high. That's why you get silly comments such as "there is no real Mexican food here" from the worldly inner loopers as well aS suburbanites.
I agree but I grew up in Katy Ft Bend and have been eating corn in the cup (elote) with Jarritos taramindo soda since my dad would take us to the flea markets in town (not Swap meets). And I'm not Mexican. These people do need to step out of their comfort zone. They will find excellent Mexican food.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:48 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,164,502 times
Quote:
Even if they don't like the Tex Mex at least go find some real delicious Mexican food. But dont act as though good Mexican can't be found and woe is you for having to deal with Tex Mex. A lot of Tex Mex is good and would sell hand over fist if introduced more in California. You can't tell me Los Cucos wouldn't be a bit popular there. The whining is just nostalgic chest thumping.
So is Los Cucos your idea of good Mexican food?
Even if you go to Hispanic majority areas in Houston and eat in establishments with mostly Spanish speakers the dishes they serve you will still be Tex-Mex. Any restaurant that brings out a bowl of fried tortilla and salsa when you sit down is Tex-Mex. Try and find a place that does that in Mexico and you'll see mostly tourists.
A lot of people who've never been to Mexico seem think that Tex-Mex is only for gringos and that "Hispanics" eat authentic Mexican food.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
So is Los Cucos your idea of good Mexican food?
Even if you go to Hispanic majority areas in Houston and eat in establishments with mostly Spanish speakers the dishes they serve you will still be Tex-Mex. Any restaurant that brings out a bowl of fried tortilla and salsa when you sit down is Tex-Mex. Try and find a place that does that in Mexico and you'll see mostly tourists.
A lot of people who've never been to Mexico seem think that Tex-Mex is only for gringos and that "Hispanics" eat authentic Mexican food.
That's a sweeping statement. Especially considering that chips and salsa originated in Northern Mexico.

You'll probably tell me the Pastor I'm having for lunch is Tex Mex.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 05-09-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston