Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,570,486 times

Advertisements

Well I suppose here is some proof of what I've been saying. The only thing is that the article is just about Texas students, while I firmly believe that this is a nationwide problem.

AUSTIN — Texas high school graduates enter college far less ready for the harder course load than other students, according to new research that shows nearly half of the state's college freshmen take remedial classes.

Panel: Many Texas grads not ready for college | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 PM

42 posts, read 444,247 times
Cool Article from Houston Chronicle designating Houston "Dropout Factories"

As a former educator in Galena Park ISD and others in the area I have to say that the areas are subpar to make a huge understatement. Having lived in the are for the majority of my life, I've witnessed the spiraling decline. Most money is spent on ESL (English as a second language)Programs while gifted and talented students are largely underserved.

This decline started in 1982 with the closing of Armco Steel. Many steelworkers lost their homes and were forced to live in a tent city near the San Jacinto River.

Moderator cut: OT
There is an article in the Houston Chronicle Houston news, entertainment, search and shopping | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle identifying school districts designated as "Drop Out Factories." Many are in the area. I tend to agree since I had 3 siblings drop out due to problems such as having surgery and not being assigned a home bound teacher, suffering beatings at school and the school not stopping the problem and other serious issues. My relatives pay more property and school taxes than River Oaks (the richest neighborhood in Houston) and the schools are much worse.

Most people I know have moved out since schools are getting deep in debt with bonds and raising school taxes. Others have resorted to homeschooling.

There is also severe pollution due to chemical plants and refineries and my entire family has serious health problems as a result.

I hope the situations turns around but I don't see it happening.

I have friends with kids in Katy ISD who also aren't thrilled either so there's no perfect district, they all have problems. Just choose what you want to deal with. Good luck.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-16-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 03:24 AM

42 posts, read 444,247 times
Thumbs down Conroe ISD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniyya View Post
How's the Conroe ISD?
BAD - recruiting teachers from Mexico to teach students. Google them.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,011,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadoll View Post
BAD - recruiting teachers from Mexico to teach students. Google them.
The University of Texas at Austin :: K-16 Education Center :: LUCHA Program :: Educational News lists other districts that do that.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,323,415 times
I'm one of the ones who passed the GT test with flying colors and was unfortunately turned down due to size of the class. It was Humble ISD and 1981 (5th grade). It was hugely embarrassing for me (as everyone found out I did not get in) and scarred me emotionally until I was significantly older. No one, not even my parents (who were just steamed at the time about it) took the time to explain to me that I had NOT failed it. Only when I was in my mid-twenties and my mom and I were discussing it and my subsequent academic/behavioral issues did she reveal what really happened. She had NO idea I did not know--she thought I was told, by either my teacher or by her. I just sat there in shock. It's amazing how something like that can affect you so dramatically for so long. I often wonder how different I would be today had I never thought all that time I just wasn't smart enough and had known the truth.

I've let it go now, but if my daughters are ever tested for any program, I think we'll skip it.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,323,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Well I suppose here is some proof of what I've been saying. The only thing is that the article is just about Texas students, while I firmly believe that this is a nationwide problem.

AUSTIN — Texas high school graduates enter college far less ready for the harder course load than other students, according to new research that shows nearly half of the state's college freshmen take remedial classes.

Panel: Many Texas grads not ready for college | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Oh, this is absolutely true. My hubby teaches 1st-yr Biology part-time at HCC and he is stunned at the lack of education, the lack of English spoken, and the expectation/entitlement mentality from the high school kids coming in. They ask for make-up tests constantly, extra time on labs, and other "favors" that are downright laughable. He has the same answer for all: "This is college, folks. You should be ready for this, and if you're not, go back and yell at your high school principal for not preparing you. Don't come to me and complain about it."

Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,011,743 times
This is why most teachers at my (former) high school had a "no late work" policy - And at my university some teachers take late work with penalties... it goes to show that harsher HS policies help make more disciplined students. I am glad that I am used to "no late work" now that I am a university freshman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh, this is absolutely true. My hubby teaches 1st-yr Biology part-time at HCC and he is stunned at the lack of education, the lack of English spoken, and the expectation/entitlement mentality from the high school kids coming in. They ask for make-up tests constantly, extra time on labs, and other "favors" that are downright laughable. He has the same answer for all: "This is college, folks. You should be ready for this, and if you're not, go back and yell at your high school principal for not preparing you. Don't come to me and complain about it."

Last edited by Vicman; 11-16-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 PM

54 posts, read 182,339 times
u can try humble isd and cy-fair isd they are both wonderful district that offer everything that you can possible think of..

Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,570,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'm one of the ones who passed the GT test with flying colors and was unfortunately turned down due to size of the class. It was Humble ISD and 1981 (5th grade). It was hugely embarrassing for me (as everyone found out I did not get in) and scarred me emotionally until I was significantly older. No one, not even my parents (who were just steamed at the time about it) took the time to explain to me that I had NOT failed it. Only when I was in my mid-twenties and my mom and I were discussing it and my subsequent academic/behavioral issues did she reveal what really happened. She had NO idea I did not know--she thought I was told, by either my teacher or by her. I just sat there in shock. It's amazing how something like that can affect you so dramatically for so long. I often wonder how different I would be today had I never thought all that time I just wasn't smart enough and had known the truth.

I've let it go now, but if my daughters are ever tested for any program, I think we'll skip it.
Exactly what I've been saying to any and all posters asking about GT for their children. GT in public schools is a huge joke and you are ABSOLUTELY correct, it can destroy a childs' self esteem to think that they aren't smart enough to take "advanced" courses. I'm glad that I did what I did, removed my child from such a screwed up system. I can only hope that she continues to thrive and do well, while taking advantage of the great education she's receiving.

Mom2Feebs, I'm happy that you continued to thrive despite what happened.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:00 AM

1,334 posts, read 6,422,139 times
It's not really the "district" since all have their good and bad areas.

In general though:

Klein, Cy-Fair, Conroe, Katy, Humble, Spring Branch, Clear Creek, Friendswood and Fort Bend are fairly well-regarded ISD's. I'm sure I left out a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston