Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I know a lot of Californians who moved to Houston and then moved back to Cali because of the cultural differences. It's not easy living in a southern state when coming from a place like Cali

You'd think this wouldn't be the case, considering Californians are renowned around the country for their tolerance and open-mindedness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
you'd think this wouldn't be the case, considering californians are renowned around the country for their tolerance and open-mindedness.

awesome

+1

Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee454 View Post
Moved from SF bay area (native CA, Holy City (above Los Gatos) 1944) to a small town 40 miles north of Houston
Well no wonder... small town 40 miles north of Houston? With the exception of maybe The Woodlands and parts of Conroe, most everything out that far north of town is rural East Texas. Backwoods. Not much at all like Houston proper.

Go live in the Houston city limits some, then come back with your opinions on the arts, culture, restaurants, diversity etc. I think it would be much different.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,396 times
Are any of the following television stations or magazines included as sources of information by those who replied to "Are Californians Flocking To Houston"

TV
Link
Free Speech
UCTV
Research

Magazines
Sierra Club
The Nation
Mother Jones
Dispatch (ACLU)
Natural Resources Defense Council (Nature's Voice)
Mother Earth

Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,708 times
I've seen Californians here in Galveston; two Californians live down the street close to my house.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I'm a native Californian, I'm very happy to be in Texas, and I am never moving back to California. I like going there on vacation, though...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
I love how Cee454 complains about minorities and the KKK in the Houston area.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:34 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Well no wonder... small town 40 miles north of Houston? With the exception of maybe The Woodlands and parts of Conroe, most everything out that far north of town is rural East Texas. Backwoods. Not much at all like Houston proper.

Go live in the Houston city limits some, then come back with your opinions on the arts, culture, restaurants, diversity etc. I think it would be much different.
Yes, who are these people who consider 40 miles north of Houston HOUSTON? It's not. Where is that anyway? New Waverly???

Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee454 View Post
Moved from SF bay area (native CA, Holy City (above Los Gatos) 1944) to a small town 40 miles north of Houston 22 years ago. If any of the following are important issues in deciding a move to the Houston area, DON'T.

mileage from point a to point b (annual mileage doubles)
heavy freeway traffic (I-45 going south from Conroe to Houston has a reputation as a road you never want to travel, anytime) poorly designed roads
frontage roads?
amount of continual unsafe road repairs
laws to assist traffic flow, do not exist
flooding under passes are common, trucks only, forget a sports car
lack of nature's beauty or appreciation of the few remaining pine trees, logging is the common
HUMIDITY, extreme weather fluxuation
air and water pollution
Galveston bay - maybe 3 miles of sea wall, very narrow beach (poor quality of sand), red tide, mountains of sea weed on beach (bull dozers are brought in to remove), flies, murky water, very small waves?, uncomfortably warm water unhealthy boring food, majority of people are obese; interesting, healthy, food establishments, also the arts, very very limited, downtown residents only, to far and an exhausting drive for others
cookie cutter strip centers stamped every few miles
bible belt
minorities
KKK
racial
political far right
freedom of expression for all
this is only a partial list

I dream of returning to the Santa Cruz area, live on a boat
you've got to be kidding me. Aren't Californians suppose to be all tolerant and what not? Minorities? Ummm California has plenty of those, so not sure you'll fit into the California you left 22 years ago.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:11 AM

37 posts, read 70,904 times
Well I can tell you first hand I live in a small town north of Conroe (Willis) on Lake Conroe. I have lived here my whole life hubby is from Cali he could not believe how nice Texans were. Also living up here we dread having to go into Houston dont discount the outer areas just because they dont fall into Houston proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston