Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
You must not be familiar with the film scene in Louisiana...
I never said the south lacked a good film industry, but just because a city is a popular filming location doesn't necessarily mean it's a great place for actors. It's not as if you can just walk onto a production set and ask them to give you a part. Even if a movie is being shot in New Orleans, most of the cast is likely flown out from California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,000,909 times
It's bigger in Austin.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,794,549 times
Film "scene"...don't come here.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 PM

75 posts, read 203,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
There is a film scene in Houston, but it's fairly indie/underground.

It definitely does exist and anyone who tells you otherwise has never been involved in film in Houston. We have a Houston Film Commission and there's also an annual Houston Production Guide with hundreds (albeit most are small) of production companies and crew members.
I really appreciate the response, Newton. Yeah--I am just looking for anything really. I am fairly green and I just want to get familiar with the process and to just have something on the resume--indie or no indie. If this is something that I will definitely want to pursue, then it will further drive me to make the move out to Los Angeles. If not, hey--you only live once and at least I gave my dream an actual shot.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM

108 posts, read 198,467 times
I work on film sets in Houston (on weekends mostly anyway). I'm fairly green as well. Send me a message. Maybe I can set you up with a few gigs.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I think Dallas and Houston are about the same in this department.Dallas is no Hollywood...Nowhere in Texas for that matter..I could be wrong though(before anybody decides to cut me).
Dallas is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I wouldn't encourage anyone to move anywhere in the south, if they're serious about a career in film; not even Atlanta, unless they're looking to be featured in the next Tyler Perry disaster.
Yeah, my cousin wants to move to Atlanta to get into the business and I tell her it's not what you think. Film production for the most part is still done largely in LA and NYC. Don't think because a place has lots of movies filmed there that it's the ideal place to go.

and no I've never been to Atlanta, but I work with film and know what's hot and not. Atlanta and Dallas are better than Houston though. Austin is the best in Texas.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,129,919 times
Puney and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston