Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I'm studying writing and editing for print and digital media right now, and I can't say much other than that's the way it's done. It makes sense though because it helps retain a level of privacy, unless it's necessary to disclose the location.
Lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Just to give you an idea, The Woodlands has 100,000 and is 44 square miles.
You could fit The Woodlands 14 times in NW Houston (assuming that it actually is 25 x 25 miles)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
It's hard to say because the whole grid of streets in downtown are cockeyed. The run from NE to SW and NW to SE. Go figure.

Ronnie

Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Lamest excuse I've ever heard.

Just to give you an idea, The Woodlands has 100,000 and is 44 square miles.
You could fit The Woodlands 14 times in NW Houston (assuming that it actually is 25 x 25 miles)
That's not a lame excuse -- that's the way it works. The Woodlands is its own city. Where else are you going to say that something in The Woodlands happened? There's really no other way in that situation. NW Houston is not 25 x 25 square miles -- if you include Greater Houston, maybe. However, I don't know where you are getting that number from.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Our area (Houston, Fort Bend County towards Sugar Land) is considered "far" SW Houston by the news.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Pearland is considered Northern Mexico, I think.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Our area (Houston, Fort Bend County towards Sugar Land) is considered "far" SW Houston by the news.
It sounds odd, but I guess it works. If you say Fort Bend County, that's true, but too general, and if you say something like "the portion of Fort Bend County lying in Houston" that's more awkward and too many words. Everything is usually placed in relation to downtown, it seems, even though it doesn't have the same function as in other cities.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM

838 posts, read 1,120,197 times
I tell people I live in Houston and they always ask what area. Figuring that a lot of people don't necessarily know every subdivision, I say I live in west Houston. They reply, "Katy"? Duh!! Like I don't know what city I live in. Houston is Houston, not Katy. And not west of Houston.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
I think its to give the normal resident(or visitor) a general visualization of where the story happend.Everybody that lives in or visits Houston are not masterfully familiar with every-single-neiborhood in the city.Some people are just familiar with the names of areas not necessarily where that area is located(Houston is a big big place).So by saying "West Houston" instead of "Katy" gives the newbie to Houston or the "I never leave my bubble" type Houstonian a QUICK sense of place to relate the story too...In the end, a person getting killed is the main point the reporter wants to get across; moreso than where it happened.....just my two pennies.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I think its to give the normal resident(or visitor) a general visualization of where the story happend.Everybody that lives in or visits Houston are not masterfully familiar with every-single-neiborhood in the city.Some people are just familiar with the names of areas not necessarily where that area is located(Houston is a big big place).So by saying "West Houston" instead of "Katy" gives the newbie to Houston or the "I never leave my bubble" type Houstonian a QUICK sense of place to relate the story too...In the end, a person getting killed is the main point the reporter wants to get across; moreso than where it happened.....just my two pennies.
Those people probably don't even watch the news. Why even bother reporting about the crime if the viewer has to guess if it happened anywhere from River Oaks to Memorial to Westchase and on out to Katy.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
That too. There are 6 W's: Who, What, When, Where, How and Why (we call it NEWTOY). Given that, you can see that "Where" could arguably be the least important -- (So) What being the most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston