Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Nice post

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I'd still rather have the olympics.

I mean how many of you would actually be able to go to the Super Bowl if it was in Houston? I bet a lot more of you would be able to go to the olympics if it was here.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post

I mean how many of you would actually be able to go to the Super Bowl if it was in Houston? I bet a lot more of you would be able to go to the olympics if it was here.
Of course the Olympics is a bigger step. The biggest stage on the world but I think it's good hosting any sporting event no matter what it is. It's a good look for any city if hosted right. And Houston's done a good job of hosting events. I didn't go to the Super Bowl in 04 but I did have a good time at all the Super Bowl related events in the city. FUN TIMES. Downtown felt like Bourbon street on steroids with more room to breath. And I honestly don't care for Bourbon street once you've experienced for 1 time. But it was a real good time when the Super Bowl was in town. And it was fun when NCAA Final Four was in town as well. I can't wait till the NBA All-Star game which is a bigger event then the Final Four.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:

The Olympics would transform Houston overnight, but it is a very very expensive event to host.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:

LOL Olympics in Houston. When pigs can fly.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Why do you feel this way??

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know the All-Star event isn't on the level of the Super Bowl but it's still one of the biggest sporting events in the world. So why is Houston getting an All-Star event next year? Glendale or Tempe is no glamorous city either. And the NFL hasn't had a Super Bowl in Los Angeles since 1973. If you're referring to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena they hadn't had a super bowl there since 1993. You only need a few requirements to host a super bowl. None of them have to do with a city being glamorous. One reason the Super Bowl events happen to be in Florida alot because of weather. Which is another reason they pick Arizona cuz of weather. Stadium seating is a must. Has to be over 70,000 seats. Has to be atleast 24,500 hotel rooms within a hour of the stadium. It's a reason why you will see Super Bowl favorite cities ever so often. Because they constantly meet the requirements to host such big events. It's a guarantee win, hosting new cities sometimes can be a hit or miss for the city and NFL.

More specifically they host cites like Indy,Detroit,Dallas,Houston,Atlanta,Minneapolis because they have one thing in common??? Newly built dome stadiums or retractable roofs. Metlife stadium is the only non domed stadium hosted in a cold weathered city. But more importantly can hold the most fans in the NFL. It's been alot of new stadiums built in recent years yet no Super Bowls hosted there. Because it is certain qualifications a city must meet to be a host city. And glamorous is not one.

Hell,Houston was a excellent choice for 2004 Super Bowl. I was here for that super bowl and it was alot of praise going around for Houston. Houston hosting the super bowl was a success. I couldn't really say the same when the superbowl was in DFW or in Atlanta in 2000. In Atlanta it had more to do with weather conditions. DFW it was weather and just unorganized compared to other cities. And one of the main reasons DFW even hosted the superbowl was because of the most powerful sports owner in history. Jerry Damn Jones.

Houston just hosted NCAA Final Four(success) and hosted The NBA All-Star game in 2006 and will be hosting it in 2013. Also the MLB-All Star Game in 2004. Houston has shown it can host big sporting events and be a success. Clearly your have insecurities about the city of Houston, but this is all about money and not about an image.

The NBA all star game has nothing to do with a super bowl, so I don't even know why you brought that up. That's number one, number two Los Angeles has hosted seven super bowls the third most after New Orleans and Miami(tied with ten each) the only reason they haven't hosted one since 1993 is because they no longer have a team, but when they move another team there(most likey the jaguars or the bills) they will be back in the rotation. San Diego has been filling in for them, until they get there act together. No sh*t weather plays into it, thats why New York will never be in a regular rotation for a super bowl, its too damn cold there in the february. The super bowl is not just a game its a event, with celebrity parties, corporate functions, city attactions. If you live in another part of the country would you rather party in Houston or Miami? Houston or New Orleans? Houston or L.A.? People in Houston need to get real nobody wants to come here unless they have to. For intance this years super bowl is New Orleans. People love going to New Orleans because everything is walking distance to the stadium, like the french quarter and bourbon street(a centralized party area) then you Mardi Gras going on at the same time. In L.A you have hollywood and sunset drive. Miami has south beach, coconut grove, along with beautiful beaches.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Why do you feel this way??
Because one criteria in the selection process is reliable mass transportation. Houston dosen't have any, and never will have any good or reliable mass transportation.
And it's too hot/humid. They would have to build air conditioned stadiums.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Not at all ....Have you ever heard the expression "it takes money to make money"

I hope Houston gets the bid!

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Texans were in the Super Bowl that year! Stranger things have happened
Nice, let's see if I understand it...
People like something = Super Bowl = "It takes money (tax dollars) to make money"
People don't like something = Education = "We need to cut goverment spending"

Completely makes sense (sarcasm)

Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Because one criteria in the selection process is reliable mass transportation. Houston dosen't have any, and never will have any good or reliable mass transportation.
And it's too hot/humid. They would have to build air conditioned stadiums.
Ummmm Reliant is air-conditioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston