Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

That'll be a huge culture shock just simply in the demographics. Wikipedia says Maine is 98% white, 1% black, 1% native American... and regardless of race 1% Hispanic. Houston and Texas are both minority-majority. But as long as you know how to carry yourself properly you'll blend in fine.

As for the flying roaches, they are rare but everyone here has their stories. You'll be sitting down watching TV nearly half asleep when all the sudden you hear this loud buzzing noise above you. You can swat at them in flight and it always seems like they try to chase you around. You have to smash them HARD or they won't die. (I have a wiener dog and he finishes them off after I knock it down.) But most roaches here are 1.5-2 inches long and don't fly. If you walk the neighborhood around midnight you can see a few crawling in the streets. They crawl out of the storm drains in search of water when things get dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
They aren't rare if you live in Houston and you have lots of trees. When I lived in Rice Village those things were everywhere. True, more were outside than inside, but those things gross me out so bad, It doesn't matter where they are. They used to get into my apartment, and they will fly after you! Even after you swat at them. They don't bite or anything, but they're just gross. My story of a roach is about one at my husbands apartment while we were still dating. He was at work at the time. One got in his apartment, and try as I might that thing wouldn't let me kill it. It kept going behind something I couldn't reach it at, and it would stay there and after a while, creep out halfway and when it saw or felt me coming it went right back into hiding. This kept up for several hours until I finally outsmarted it (or so I thought). I could swear I smushed it pretty good, but lo and behold, while I went to get a paper towel to pick it up with, It was gone when I came back. The rest of the night, I was worried about that genius cockroach coming back to plot revenge on me!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,574 times
I have visited. I spent two weeks there this past May. I loved it. I can't wait to go back actually, I'm just really terrified of bugs.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,574 times
We're moving into a gated community of apartments. Do they have any kind of regular pest control? Will there be bugs in the apartment??

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyokeefe View Post
We're moving into a gated community of apartments. Do they have any kind of regular pest control? Will there be bugs in the apartment??
Best call the apartment complex and ask management about that. All but the most ghetto apartments usually have regular pest control.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 PM

70 posts, read 430,589 times
We also just moved here from Portland. The bugs are not that bad... the one thing that got me was the large brown tree roach that crawled across my floor one day. We had the apartment sprayed the next day and they haven't been back since. Your apartment complex should regularly spray, and you'll be all set. The grass is different here, too. You can't really sit down on it and relax because there are fire ants and fleas. You're moving here at a good time though, the weather will be great! We moved here in June and nearly died in the hot hot humid weather- nothing like Maine! Good luck with your move!

tstone... Portland, Maine is not 98% white anymore (not even close!)

Old 10-11-2007, 02:43 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
I didn't check Portland; i checked Maine as a whole. I guess the far NE is white like that, like Canada.

Laying down on the grass I'm more concerned about spiders but I go barefoot in my yard and don't have many problems. I've have been bitten by a spider - it itched a little and went away fast, but it wasn't of the poisonous type. You have to look before you step or lay.

Fleas are a product of neighbors with pet (and possibly personal) hygiene issues.

You can also find plenty of earthworms. My dog likes to pull dead, stinky ones out of the ground with his teeth and roll all over them!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

88 posts, read 301,103 times
If you think about it all the time you will get bitten. Bugs, like other creatures of this planet, smell and feed off of fear. Cheers!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times
I'm moving there too and I am skeptical about the whole "roaches flying in your face" thing. It will be an adventure.........

Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
The first time you see one - which may be a year after you move here - you will think "OMG". After that shock is over, it's not a big deal. The only time I think about them is when I read about the fears people have when moving down. I just don't see that many. I show houses, including foreclosures - most of my experiences with them have been dead ones, belly-up in vacant houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston