Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,903 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My wife and I will be moving to Houston and will need frequent access to Ellington Field, Bush Intercontinental Airport and Texas Children's Hospital (we will be working all over Houston). Although I was born and raised in Texas, I know very little about Houston and the surrounding areas.

We will be living in Houston for a long, long time and would like to settle down only once. We also want to build a house (600K minimum) and live somewhere outside of Houston (possibly on the southwest side). We are open to your suggestions. My wife and I want to build a new home.

We are looking for relatively low crime, nice gated communities, strict homeowners rules and large lots. Where would you look? What areas would you consider decent for overall public education (we have two young sons)?

I realize we should probably look at living close to downtown; however, we like peace, tranquility and enjoy the country much more than city living. I know, I know... the traffic will be bad for us. My wife will be working at Texas Children's 100% and I will be at Ellington Field 60% and Intercontinental 40%. And.... we are not too fond of the ocean and would prefer to stay away from the coastal areas if possible.

Does anyone recommend a really good custom home builder as well as an in-ground pool builder?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,548,843 times
I have fallen in love with a new community that is located North of Houston and convenient to Bush IAH. It called Waters Edge. It is right on West Lake Houston. Here are some of the features of this new community: Unrivaled Entry Monument, Gated Sections Lakefront Living on Spacious Homesites, Resort-style amenity center, Pool, Playground, Miles of Walking Trails & More. It's located near "Recognized Schools", close to shopping and convenient to downtown. You have to check it out in person, the homesites are really breathtaking, very wooded and upscale. I have a friend who is building their dream home with lake views on a beautiful lot. Although I have a big beautiful home in a great neighborhood, I am truly jealous. I hope this information helps. ~K~

Old 10-09-2007, 04:20 PM

657 posts, read 2,539,110 times
The med center is a bit south of downtown, Bush Intercontinental is on the far north side and Ellington is out by Clear Lake. You basically have a triangle of different locations. I'd say the main thing is you don't want your wife going crazy going to the med center, which is a difficult drive. All things considered I'd recommend Pearland.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:50 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,574,790 times
Look in Royal Oaks, it's located in what I would consider to be a Central part of the city. It's gated and they have custom builders WELCOME TO ROYAL OAKS COUNTRY CLUB

Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM

791 posts, read 2,218,686 times
Out of the city and tending southwest, I'd suggest you start around the SugarLand area. Upscale living with bayou access off Hw 59, Fort Bend county. Seems as though well known sports personalities tend to like it there.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 14,658 times
If you are willing to spend that kind of money then look in the Bellaire, West U area and the schools are great! Might try Spring Valley, there is a lot of re-building going on in that area and again, good schools! Most of the homes are custom and on large lots. You will want to contact a pool builder to scope out the yard before you make an offer because in some homes you cannot get in to dig the pool which in unfortunate but the case in the first two areas mentioned.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-18-2007 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Quit pushing the pool builder!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

54 posts, read 182,536 times
From my understanding is that if you move to the southwest side your commute will be harsh going to the 2 airports but it shouldn't be all that going to Texas Children's Hospital. But my suggestion will be look at the northeast side of the Greater Houston Area of the neighborhoods of fall creek, summerwood were we stay now very great, kandy suggested waters edge, lakeshore, walden on lake houston, eagle springs, park lakes so many possibilites and they are all very highly outstanding, great schools, very BIG houses, your going to do great with the price budget. And the area has very easy access to beltway 8,its right there in most cases when u exit your subivison, then the straightfoward 59 is good to get to Texas Children's Hospital..Airports are easy access..good luck beacase u going to need with the wide range of traveling..lol

Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,424 times
I recommend the Houston Heights. An older part of Houston not too far from Medical center, on the north side of town ( not too far north). A young area. Kid of yuppy. But fun. Decent reverse commuting up to IAH in the morning. A bit rough crossing town in the morning but then a smooth reverse commute to Ellington Field.

After some time, if you can afford it, you can look at moving down to the West University area, west of Rice University and closer to the Medical Center. Or you can stay in the Heights. Or after having kids, move out to the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston