Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Little Kids??? Have you seen these "little kids" in high school today? Some of these little kids could probably bench press you. I was like 6'0 ft in 12th grade. How is that considered little? You must be a senior citizen or close to it? And I mean no disrespect by asking that question.
Uhhhh, they are big, that's amazing,
They still get their Playstation taken away when they don't do what "mommy" told them to do.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,673 times
Welcome to Texas. Football is king, and HS football is a huge deal.

As far as basketball goes, it is a distant third in the sports landscape nationally, and preseason of any sport gets little enough coverage. Heck, in Texas the three most popular sports leagues might be NFL, NCAA football and HS football.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Because there are only two sports seasons in Texas: Football Season and Spring Football Season.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Basketball today is awful - very few people care anymore....its become a bunch of thugs playing basketball trying to make the most publicity for themselves....they turned a team sport into a dunking contest and one man show.

When they take the thugs, and gang bangers out of basketball, and actually get some athletes worth looking up to, maybe it will regain popularity...

Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post

As far as basketball goes, it is a distant third in the sports landscape nationally, and preseason of any sport gets little enough coverage. Heck, in Texas the three most popular sports leagues might be NFL, NCAA football and HS football.
Nah, basketball and baseball flip flop, but basketball gets much better ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Basketball today is awful - very few people care anymore....its become a bunch of thugs playing basketball trying to make the most publicity for themselves....they turned a team sport into a dunking contest and one man show.

When they take the thugs, and gang bangers out of basketball, and actually get some athletes worth looking up to, maybe it will regain popularity...
Yet they are the biggest stars on the sporting landscape. Did you see the Olympics? Where did this misconception that basketball is a distant third and losing fans start? Couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Nah, basketball and baseball flip flop, but basketball gets much better ratings.

Yet they are the biggest stars on the sporting landscape. Did you see the Olympics? Where did this misconception that basketball is a distant third and losing fans start? Couldn't be further from the truth.
I know of several companies that can't even give away suites to rockets games....

Olympic basketball is completely different than the NBA...Everyone likes to see their country win...When was the last time you saw regular folks watch non-olympic gymnastics? Yet, the olympic gymnastics draws some of the highest ratings of all the events.

So I guess, your right - Basketball is just as popular as gymnastics...Wow.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Just my opinion and probably most people in the state. Texas HS Football is more entertaining the pre season NBA. And i'm a huge NBA fan but it's PRE-SEASON and this is Football season. If you were in San Antonio or DFW you wouldn't see as much coverage of the Spurs or Mavs either. This is Texas and football is right above church.
Alright now!

Yes, I'm sure the OP and about 5 other people are wishing for preseason games. I personally hate basketball myself. Don't watch or play.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
25 out of 30 teams in MLB draw higher attendence than the HIGHEST drawing NBA team. The lowest average attendence in MLB this season was Tampa Bay with 19,255. Only 6 teams in the entire NBA had a higher average attendence than that lowest drawing MLB team (Chicago, Portland, Dallas, Miami,Knicks and Jazz).

NBA three teams last season averaged over 20,000 in attendence. In MLB (where teams play TWICE as many games) there were 27 teams who averaged over 20,000 in attendence.

Little League Baseball still draws far more players than basketball does nationwide. You have more kids playing, VASTLY more people attending it. Basketball is NOWHERE near as popular as baseball and if you think that it is you are sorely and seriously deluded.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post

I wouldn't say basketball is a distant third(not to me anyway). But I do agree that football at all levels is king. To me its football number 1, basketball 2 everything else doesn't matter.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Going back and pulling numbers for the leagues overall I totalled the league attendences for last year, divided that number by the number of teams, and then divided by the number of home games played.

MLB average attendence = 30,806.28
NBA average attendence = 17,273.6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston