Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with the media in Houston.
It's almost impossible to find out what's going on with the Houston Rockets pre-season, but almost everyday I see a story about H.S. football.

I don't care what anybody says about HS football, that's just one step above from Little League baseball
just a bunch of little kids running around.

I've been a basketball fan for many years before moving to Houston,
I even cheered for the Rockets back when Olajuwon gave the Rockets the 2 championships
and now I'm very dissapointed to see so little support for the Houston Rockets.

The Rockets have already played 5 preseason games and I still haven't seen one story about them on local news.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
The South is football country.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Because nobody cares about pre season, especially when football season is in full swing. Trust me when the regular season starts they're going to crank up the linsanity.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
A. Football is far and away the most popular sport in Texas. In a lot of areas of Texas, the entire town turns out for a Friday night high school football game. Read the book "Friday Night Lights" and you'll start to understand.

B. Preseason anything doesn't count, thus gets little coverage.

C. If you're looking for in depth coverage of a sports team (more than W/L and stats) you need to look beyond local/national media. Find a sports blog for your team, especially one run by someone who does it as a full time job. I don't follow the rockets, so I can't help you there.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
A. Football is far and away the most popular sport in Texas. In a lot of areas of Texas, the entire town turns out for a Friday night high school football game. Read the book "Friday Night Lights" and you'll start to understand.
I would agree with you,
except that Houston is not a "town" and we have an NBA team

Old 10-20-2012, 02:03 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I hate all the high school football coverage as well. Channel 2 KPRC is absolutely obsessed with the local high schools.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:15 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Just my opinion and probably most people in the state. Texas HS Football is more entertaining the pre season NBA. And i'm a huge NBA fan but it's PRE-SEASON and this is Football season. If you were in San Antonio or DFW you wouldn't see as much coverage of the Spurs or Mavs either. This is Texas and football is right above church. You think HS football coverage is too much in Houston then move to East Texas. It's alot more coverage since we don't really have any major college. I really don't notice HS football coverage that much in Houston only friday nights and plus because i'm from East Texas. East Texas HS football coverage is pretty much daily when it's football season. Also being that it is football season you also have coverage of UT, Texas A&M,UofH,TCU,Baylor,OU. Man you think a good amount of ppl care that much about pre season Rockets then football? And HS football one step above little league?

That's like saying many NBA stars who came straight out of high school played right above the level of little league bball teams. Texas produces some of the best football players in the nation and that's just because HS football is huge. It's a shame in a way because some schools spend more money on sports then education and that's simply because of HS football in the state.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The South is football country.
Point. Blank. End of story.

Plus, as Redlion said, HS Football is more entertaining than preseason basketball.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 PM

243 posts, read 799,471 times
i would rather see a high school football game any day of the week than see a game with a bunch of spoiled millionaires. i still will watch basketball, but would rather see high school football. here in katy, its a big community thing. as for the OP, comcast 639 shows every game and has complete coverage for the rockets. uverse and others won't see it because the channel is called comcast sports.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
as for the OP, comcast 639 shows every game and has complete coverage for the rockets. uverse and others won't see it because the channel is called comcast sports.
Didn't know that since I have DirecTV
still, it doesn't change the fact that local news talk much more about HS football (little kids) than the Houston Rockets pre-season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston