Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 AM

75 posts, read 205,052 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

In Houston for the weekend making my first leg of moving. I'm going to spend today vetting these two neighborhoods and I'm just curious to get everyone's take on which area they would recommend. I like walkability (which I hear is conducive to both areas--my brother used to live on Montrose so I am more familiar with that area vs Heights). I want a more neighborhood feel vs a strip mall, poshy feel that a lot of Houston has to offer (like the Post Oak/Galleria area--nightmare).

So what area do you guys recommend? I love film, indie movies, cultural events (like the greek festival close to Montrose)--which neighborhood do you feel has more unique things to offer? Which neighborhood has a more distinct vibe and what are those vibes in particular? Keep in mind that I am a single 27 year old male.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 12:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,018 times
Both are great neighborhoods. But I feel Montrose might have more of what you are looking for right now. In my opinion, Montrose is a little more edgy while The Heights is a bit more laid back.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,463 times
Agreed that Heights is a bit more laid back, but both are great areas for what you are looking for and both neighborhoods are practically right next to one another. I live in the Heights but getting to Montrose is very quick ajd easy

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,707 times
Montrose is closer to most festivals and museum district. It's in the middle of everything

Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Montrose

Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 AM

41 posts, read 117,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Montrose is closer to most festivals and museum district. It's in the middle of everything
True!!

Montrose is like you are in the middle of the city life and heights is just the start of getting away. We are talking like couple of miles away but still has the close-by restaurants and entertainment.

You might also feel the difference in the lease prices

Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,512 times
Montrose

Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default I'm biased...

I'm saying Montrose, but as pointed out, the Heights and Montrose are next to each other, separated by Houston's equivilent of Central Park, Buffalo Bayou. Either neighborhood has hip bars, cafes and restaurants, but Montrose has more of them. Both have nice old homes, but Montrose is more eclectic. Both have bike paths to the bayou which is undergoing a renovation and connects you to downtown.

Both are diverse, but Montrose/Midtown is where the younger people your age hang out. The Heights has a lot of small bars, but again, Montrose has more, and also bigger and "wilder" ones. As far as culture goes, I think Montrose comes out ahead as well, it is where lots of writers, photographers, musicians and artists live, hence the funky vibe of Montrose.

Both neighborhoods are walkable, but Montrose has more of an urban feel, you can walk from your house to shopping, dining or bars across the street, or in the same building depending on where you live. The streets are tighter and it has a denser population. Being an old neighborhood, most streets are canopied by huge live oak trees. The streets are in a grid formation for the most part, so very walkable and easy to navigate both by foot, or vehicle and has much more routes to get into and out of than the Heights. Also, Montrose is in the shadows of downtown and provides nice backdrops, especially if you are lucky enough to have a view of downtown at night. Biking and jogging are great in either neighborhood.

Montrose has the benefit of being next to Midtown and there is an area that encompasses both which is where the night life is. Also, depending on where you live, it is close to the rail system. As others mentioned, it is also central and close to the Museum district, Zoo, Rice University, University of St Thomas and just three miles from most festivals, where some festivals are held in Montrose on Westhimer itself.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 AM

75 posts, read 205,052 times
Yeah--I share the same sentiment with the majority of you after driving around & checking out each neighborhood yesterday. The heights isn't bad but looking around the Montrose area just affirmed my previous inclination toward the area. Everything is closer, more walkability--just "more" of what Heights had. Plus, I know someone who is willing to lease out a room for me for around 600/month in the Montrose area, so I came in with the mindset of, you know--either the Heights area had to blow Montrose out of the water or I would be good with 600/month in Montrose.

Plus, I am applying to jobs around downtown & west Houston, so it just seems like the best overall fit for me. Much appreciated guys--thanks a lot!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,463 times
Let's not make it out like the Heights is not walkable, now. Within a 10 minute leisurely stroll from my house there are restaurants, several bars, two coffee shops, a live music venue, a small theatre, a grocery store specializing in local foods, and more.

The Heights has more "outdoorsy" options for sure. A 2 minute walk for me takes me to the Heights blvd jogging trail which extends through several shops and eateries...a 2 minute walk in the other direction gets me on the amazing, paved heights bike trail which is separate from the street and an get you to Target and all of the retail options surrounding it, big grocery stores, the shops and eateries on 19th, and will even take you into downtown quickly with amazing views along the way.

The Heights has a bit more character with all of its old house (100 years or so) and finding somewhere to live is much cheaper than montrose. For someone around 27 years old, single, you can find an actual house to rent for the price of a montrose apartment. Houses to rent in Montrose are never cheap . Overall, you would probably have less privacy in Montrose because it is more densely populated.

And then Montrose has all those transgendered hookers and drug dealers on the street.. its a bit less safe, especially late at night. People are regularly robbed in the bar/club areas of Montrose.

Last edited by glorplaxy; 10-21-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: