Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times

Advertisements

I use Alarm Masters.....local company, fast response times, though their phone app SUCKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 PM

676 posts, read 930,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I use Alarm Masters.....local company, fast response times, though their phone app SUCKS!!!
Thats who I use also. The phone app gets the job done, although it could use some improvement. Works fine with my Honeywell Vista system. Their customer service and monitoring response time are fantastic though. I also love that no phone line is required, but it is still a dual path connection to the monitoring center. Uses my cable internet connection and also cellular.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM

427 posts, read 440,037 times
We have been very pleased with Simpli Safe. It has a back up battery powered system in the event of outage or cut wires. Check it out and see if it meets your needs.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 7,549 times
So I will be moving to my first home in early May in Pearland. The previous homeowner has a Vivint system installed there which has a Control panel, two Cameras and door bell camera. I am not inclined to go with Vivint as they are too costly for my budget. I was think of Smith Thompson as a few of my friends suggested that to me but I am not sure if they can use these existing Vivint equipment. Can anyone share their recent experiences with Smith Thompson. Also, if any one know that will they able to use the existing equipment or will I need new equipment from them. TIA

Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 19,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snack View Post
So I will be moving to my first home in early May in Pearland. The previous homeowner has a Vivint system installed there which has a Control panel, two Cameras and door bell camera. I am not inclined to go with Vivint as they are too costly for my budget. I was think of Smith Thompson as a few of my friends suggested that to me but I am not sure if they can use these existing Vivint equipment. Can anyone share their recent experiences with Smith Thompson. Also, if any one know that will they able to use the existing equipment or will I need new equipment from them. TIA
Going on 7 years with Smith Thompson now. They are great.
The only sure way to find out if they can work with your current system is to give them a call.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 737 times
Default ADT OWNS 9 redundant Call centers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I've had both ADT and Smith Thompson and you would be a fool not to go with Smith Thompson.
That's crazy wrong. ADT doesn't outsource it's call centers. ADT owns its own call centers and is the only company that has nine redundant call centers. With Smith Thompson, if weather or some other big event knocks out the center or blows up the lines, you're screwed. With ADT it just reverts to one or more of the other call centers. This is why the White House and federal courts use ADT and why it's the only security company I know of that is authorized by the Department of Defense.

You must be a Smith Thompson alarm salesman.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 737 times
Default SimpliSafe is a cheap piece of junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyC View Post
We have been very pleased with Simpli Safe. It has a back up battery powered system in the event of outage or cut wires. Check it out and see if it meets your needs.
SimpliSafe problem is that it's cheap junky equipment that can be easily hacked. Just Google "hack SimpliSafe" or type it into YouTube.

People all over the internet complain about the false alarms, you don't have any warranty, and when you put the simply safe sign out front it's like advertising that you got your security at Walmart. Having a simply safe sign tells the thiefs you have something to steal, and are too cheap to protect it, so come on over and steal my stuff and break in. If you have simply saved it's better than nothing I guess, except for the false alarms, but don't stick the sign out front. It'll encourage thieves

Old 08-22-2023, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 737 times
Quote:
Vivint says you can't use their equipment with any other monitoring system. Like ADT, they're a good quality system but unlike ADT, they're very proprietary.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Can't answer as to their ability to use your existing equipment, but I CAN tell you that they will if it's feasible - and if it isn't, their price for a new unit will be much better than ADT. We had ADT for a number of years, but when I finally had enough of their rate increases and lack of responsiveness, I checked out Smith Thompson. Been with them now for over 12 years - NEVER have had a rate increase, and their alarm response is beyond belief. Early on, I gave the wrong answer to an alarm response that I accidentally triggered. The caller thanked me for my time, wished me a good day....and promptly dispatched the PD! I'm pretty well known with our local guys, but they still had us exit the house while they cleared it. I can tell you that most firearms collectors use Smith Thompson because of their excellent service reputation, and I've NEVER had reason to regret our decision.....but I wouldn't wish ADT on my worst enemy.

As an aside, after canceling our ADT contract, I caught them purposely "capturing" our landline to preclude incoming/outgoing calls. When I confronted them about it, they tried denying it...but the telephone company is the one that traced who was doing it so they got to deal w/the AG's office for that one, although I'm sure all they got was a firm "Bad Boy" for it.

Old 08-23-2023, 07:05 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtfan View Post
That's crazy wrong. ADT doesn't outsource it's call centers. ADT owns its own call centers and is the only company that has nine redundant call centers. With Smith Thompson, if weather or some other big event knocks out the center or blows up the lines, you're screwed. With ADT it just reverts to one or more of the other call centers. This is why the White House and federal courts use ADT and why it's the only security company I know of that is authorized by the Department of Defense.

You must be a Smith Thompson alarm salesman.
You bump a 5 year old thread, have only three posts, shill for ADT in those posts, and then have the nerve to accuse someone else of being an alarm salesman?? C'mon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston