Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen one yet...except dead when they cleaned my gutters out. It's been one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM

182 posts, read 768,629 times
Well, I've been in my house about 2 months now, I've seen a few outside and a couple in the garage, but only 1 actually in the house. They're not quite as nastly looking at real cockroaches. Mostly, they just sit there, they arn't all that active. Easy to scoop up with a napkin and flush, if you find any.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I have seen precisely one tree roach indoors, and I'm from 'round here.

Now mosquitoes on the other hand...

Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Okay, wow. are u freaking serious? There are roaches that fly around in Houston? OMG.. that is too damn nasty. Are they all over Houston? Or are they only at certain areas? I was planning to move down there but that would definitely put a clink in my plan....

Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
They don't fly around like flies, birds or helicopters. They're move like dive bombers with no specific target. They have an ability to launch from a known location and wind up somewhere else but it's neither an intelligent nor controlled flight. Usually, gravity is involved so if you're standing on top your house it's not like they're gonna fly up there and get you. They may climb up a tree and launch towards you but again, like a dive bomber with no target. Chances are they'll miss.

And it's not like watching birds flying south for winter. Like they guys who've seen only one or two in a lifetime, you can be as fortunate and never have the experience. Jeez, just think, they have bats in Austin that live under a bridge near downtown and come out every nite.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
They swarm like the undead. You really don't want to be caught alone after midnight on a moonlit night in a field. They rise like a mist and come after you, feeding on any warm blooded creature that they can find. Leaving nothing but death and destruction in their wake.

Or, get a grip, they're just f'n bugs. It's a city, not the blinkin' rainforest. See one, squish it, or call an exterminator.

mikey...... that was so funny!!! I laughed so hard I lost my breath. That lady will probably never set foot in the state of Texas after reading your comment.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
Another horror story. I sat a glass of water on my nightstand before going to bed. The glass was short and there was a stack of books beside it. During the night I started to take a drink and saw a dark spot in the glass. Sure enough, when I turned on the light, there was one in the glass. One big gulp and I would have swallowed it, choked on it probably. It was dead of course, drowned. Just something to be careful about.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Redrover, I find that extremely hard to believe

Believe it. I rarely see roaches let alone the big tree roaches. Don't get me wrong, I've seen them but to say they're flying all over the place is just plain wrong.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I've been here a year and I haven't noticed any flying roaches. Lots of big huge dead ones on the ground, though, especially after the pest control guy has just treated our home.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 11,637 times
I also have routine pest control service and have seen very few roaches in my 11 years in Houston. And I've NEVER seen a flying roach here. I used to live in Hawaii, and that was a different story - I had regular flying roach sightings. So, if you're specifically afraid of flying roaches, I think you'll be just fine in Houston but stay away from the islands!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston