Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston ever build a subway system?
Yes 23 9.06%
No 201 79.13%
Maybe 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times

Advertisements

Sort of moot point isn't it as it would fill with water whenever we get a heavy rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont think so.
if you dont like being mugged in a parking lot why would u ride a subway?
I've never been mugged in Houston. Any rail would be more pleasant than Westheimer and SW traffic.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
I don't think Houstonians are naive. I think they're realistic. A subway would be massively expensive and the slight benefits it would produce would not merit the cost. Subways are really only for very dense cities where driving is impractical, and building at street level or at elevated levels are not feasible. Neither describes Houston. Driving (for most Houstonians) is the most practical way too get around. Its easy to find parking, and the roads are generally pretty good. Even though density in the loop seems to be increasing, nearly all new housing comes with parking. But even if Houston decided to build rail, it would not be underground. It would most likely be at street level or maybe elevated.
Atlanta has a subway, so heavy rail can absolutely work in low density cities. Houston doesn't have one because the opportunity escaped our imagination. That's all.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM

561 posts, read 972,485 times
Quote:
I don't think Houstonians are naive. I think they're realistic. A subway would be massively expensive and the slight benefits it would produce would not merit the cost. Subways are really only for very dense cities where driving is impractical, and building at street level or at elevated levels are not feasible. Neither describes Houston. Driving (for most Houstonians) is the most practical way too get around. Its easy to find parking, and the roads are generally pretty good. Even though density in the loop seems to be increasing, nearly all new housing comes with parking. But even if Houston decided to build rail, it would not be underground. It would most likely be at street level or maybe elevated.
Have you driven in the loop? Especially down Richmond? or Kirby? 3rd/4th/5th Ward Those roads are horrific; and kirby/Richmond are supposed to be the "nicer" area of Houston.

I think what Metro is doing with light-rail is enough. Finish that and it will suffice.

Funny thing is people in Houston are going to be so amazed and delighted when they see club hoppers/theatre watchers/ Texans or Astros fans/UH or Rice students etc. etc. ride the light rail, its going to be some amazing treat for us Houstonian.

Although people in Chicago/NYC/LA/SF/Atlanta/Boston even Dallas etc. have been enjoying light-rail for decades now.

Oh well better late than never.. right?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Have you driven in the loop? Especially down Richmond? or Kirby? 3rd/4th/5th Ward Those roads are horrific; and kirby/Richmond are supposed to be the "nicer" area of Houston.

I think what Metro is doing with light-rail is enough. Finish that and it will suffice.

Funny thing is people in Houston are going to be so amazed and delighted when they see club hoppers/theatre watchers/ Texans or Astros fans/UH or Rice students etc. etc. ride the light rail, its going to be some amazing treat for us Houstonian.

Although people in Chicago/NYC/LA/SF/Atlanta/Boston even Dallas etc. have been enjoying light-rail for decades now.

Oh well better late than never.. right?
Kirby is fine now. They have finished construction on the Upper Kirby section.
The light rail is definitely not enough now. The Post Oak line is needed, I don't agree with its route but its needed.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
This is the mentality that Felt was talking about. There's always reason why things can't be done in Houston. Thanks for being the proof.

Dallas and Atlanta have the same densities as Houston and they both have a good portions of their rail lines going underground. It's funny that everyone says its not feasible to build subway in a city that built a 7.5 mile tunnel system in its downtown.

But this is not a new argument. I won't bore you or bore myself typing it.

Take care.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM

195 posts, read 284,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Atlanta has a subway, so heavy rail can absolutely work in low density cities. Houston doesn't have one because the opportunity escaped our imagination. That's all.
I'm not saying a subway would be impossible to build. I'm just saying it would be uneconomical considering the very high costs of building and maintaining a subway, the low demand for public transit in Houston, and the availability of other public transit options.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 AM

342 posts, read 803,172 times
No to subway, we are too spread out, but it is about time we get a commute rail. I am surprised we don't have that yet.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying a subway would be impossible to build. I'm just saying it would be uneconomical considering the very high costs of building and maintaining a subway, the low demand for public transit in Houston, and the availability of other public transit options.
Nay-sayers said the same thing to MARTA after Houston denied the federal funds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
No to subway, we are too spread out, but it is about time we get a commute rail. I am surprised we don't have that yet.
Too spread out for subway yet you want commuter?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
In 2013, yes, it would be prohibitively expensive. That wasn't the case decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston