Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Cheryjohns, i understand what you were saying and the point you are trying to make. Some on here don't want to hear the truth. That is why your point was being twisted to mean something that it didn't. There is an "get over it" mentality with those who responded to you in trying to distort your point. They know it's the truth. They don't want to hear it. They know that there should've been coverage, instead of what appeared to have been virtually ignoring lives here, no matter if it's 6 million or 66 million.

We are not minimizing the lives of the people on the eastern seaboard. This Sandy has potential to wreak havoc and cause all kinds of disruption for days to come. No one should have to endure flood waters, lack of power for days, wading thru waters full of raw sewage, fires that are out of control. None of that.

However, lives are lives. No matter what part of the country is affected. Houston took a beating with Allison and Ike was horrible. There was virtually no coverage from the national media.

I remember reading on some local news messageboards, (or somewhere, i don't remember exactly). People as far away as Canada wanted to know what was going on down here, during Ike. No one was doing any coverage on the national level. I remember people from other parts of the country said that they were on KHOU's and i think ABC13's website watching streaming coverage of Ike.

So, no, this isn't a selfish mentality to have noticed the dichotomy of media coverage . It's the truth.

Lastly, Some of you guys talk about the media reporting weather that is out of the ordinary. I recall a year or so ago, when a Nor'easter was forecast to hit the Northeast. I recall the media (and President Obama) pegged it "SNOWMAGEDDEN" and made a very big deal about it. Nor'Easters are very common up there. Yet it rendered a lot of media coverage. So I disagree with the idea that it has to be something unusual in order for the national media to cover weather in the Gulf.
Have a heart. 61 people are dead and counting. Put away your hurt feelings for a little while and understand the devastation people are going through up there. It's just so wrong for some of you to turn on the people up there because your jealous of the coverage they are getting. Just be thankful were not going through something like that right now. I'm sure the people up there couldn't care less about the media coverage and just want to get their lives back to normal again.

I'll be happy if we never have to have another disaster down here that even warrants national attention and if a disaster does happen I really don't care how much coverage it gets from the national media. All I'll care about is surviving.

It's just silly to for you and Cheryjohns to be whining about this while people are up there just trying to piece their lives back together. We're all adults here. Let's not whine and pout about something so silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Have a heart. 61 people are dead and counting. Put away your hurt feelings for a little while and understand the devastation people are going through up there. It's just so wrong for some of you to turn on the people up there because your jealous of the coverage they are getting. Just be thankful were not going through something like that right now. I'm sure the people up there couldn't care less about the media coverage and just want to get their lives back to normal again.

I'll be happy if we never have to have another disaster down here that even warrants national attention and if a disaster does happen I really don't care how much coverage it gets from the national media. All I'll care about is surviving.

It's just silly to for you and Cheryjohns to be whining about this while people are up there just trying to piece their lives back together. We're all adults here. Let's not whine and pout about something so silly.
Well said.

Anyways I remember that there was extensive coverage on CNN when Hurricane Ike was hitting Houston and Galveston. Some people (here) just need to grow up, stop whining about how they are not being given any attention, and be grateful that they were not affected by this storm.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Is it just me, about Sandy?-150541_10152235270460402_1882817801_n.jpg
This photo right here, is where i go everyday and every night I go into the city and come home through, right now not only is the terminal there closed but there are several subway stations in the area that got so full of water it reached the ceiling. On top of that many of the major tunnels in the area is only now being emptied of water, and not only water needs to get removed but mud and silt as well as debris. One of the bus drivers this morning told some of the passengers a story that one of the house that got hit by the storm actually got ripped from it's foundation and taken out to sea where I believe 1 kid out of two has been found and the husband is still missing.

We have a 700ton water tanker wash up on the shores and half into a street, and another lady in her car managed to get out and as she did the car ended up getting swept out to sea with her two children inside. Numerous house along the coast are either gone or completely destroyed. Not to mention places like Atlantic City, NJ are for the most parts GONE, Belmar NJ and other "Jersey Shore" areas are destroyed as well and not only in jersey but even in MD as well. So yes i would consider the media hype a big thing especially considering many majore financial institutions that are now without power and were trashed.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Widespread Nor'Easter blizzards aren't common. There hadn't been one since 1993.

1993 Storm of the Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say a storm that hits once every 15-20 years can be classified as uncommon.
I do recall either last year or the year before, where a Nor'Easter whipped up, and the term "Snowmagedon" was used to describe the weather conditions.

I've heard Nor'Easter used to describe weather conditions affecting parts of the eastern seaboard before and I am certain that I've heard it used to describe weather events and conditions more recently than 1993.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:

and again with the willful distortions here. I'm not minimizing the lives affected up there. The images ring so familiar with the miles of devastation. As I stated in my previous post, no one should have to deal with that.

The point is about the media, and them only. While I think they're doing right by the coverage of those affected by Sandy, by the same token, it should be the same kind of coverage elsewhere, regardless of the region involved. Regardless if it's 6 million or 66 million. That's all we're saying. Your contempt shouldn't be for those of us who point out the discrepancy, but with the media, who picks and chooses who they feel deserves coverage.

MY thoughts and prayers for those heavily affected by Sandy.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Attachment 103141
This photo right here, is where i go everyday and every night I go into the city and come home through, right now not only is the terminal there closed but there are several subway stations in the area that got so full of water it reached the ceiling. On top of that many of the major tunnels in the area is only now being emptied of water, and not only water needs to get removed but mud and silt as well as debris. One of the bus drivers this morning told some of the passengers a story that one of the house that got hit by the storm actually got ripped from it's foundation and taken out to sea where I believe 1 kid out of two has been found and the husband is still missing.

We have a 700ton water tanker wash up on the shores and half into a street, and another lady in her car managed to get out and as she did the car ended up getting swept out to sea with her two children inside. Numerous house along the coast are either gone or completely destroyed. Not to mention places like Atlantic City, NJ are for the most parts GONE, Belmar NJ and other "Jersey Shore" areas are destroyed as well and not only in jersey but even in MD as well. So yes i would consider the media hype a big thing especially considering many majore financial institutions that are now without power and were trashed.

DeadSpeak,

Thank you for sharing this. I want to apologize to you or anyone if I have offended you guys. I sincerely do NOT, I repeat, I do NOT have a problem with the extensive coverage. I think it is necessary in these kinds of situations. The word needs to get out regarding those who have been devastated by these disasters. My problem is with the media, and their lack of balance and cherry-picking who or what regions and peoples renders coverage. Please, please keep us informed.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
No problem it's easy to become detached from things when at the time your not going through it, same as when I see tornadoes happen it doesn't effect me so it's easier to say it does not matter. Btw I forgot to add that last picture was from the Verizon HQ in lower manhattan I used to work around there back when Goldman Sachs was right across the street. And you didn't offend me so no apologies are needed

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM

408 posts, read 607,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
and again with the willful distortions here. I'm not minimizing the lives affected up there. The images ring so familiar with the miles of devastation. As I stated in my previous post, no one should have to deal with that.

The point is about the media, and them only. While I think they're doing right by the coverage of those affected by Sandy, by the same token, it should be the same kind of coverage elsewhere, regardless of the region involved. Regardless if it's 6 million or 66 million. That's all we're saying. Your contempt shouldn't be for those of us who point out the discrepancy, but with the media, who picks and chooses who they feel deserves coverage.

MY thoughts and prayers for those heavily affected by Sandy.
Media sensationalism is applied to every storm, such that we have come to view storms as 'busts' when they kill fewer people.

You understand that, from a purely scientific point of view, Sandy in New York was much more spectacular, fascinating and worrisome because of New York's geographic location, right? You understand that, the same storm causing the same damage in Miami or Houston would have been considered less spectacular for legit science-based reasons, right? You do understand that for 50 million Americans this hurricane was a 'first'... not a third or fourth, not habitual... but a first.

I don't get the macho proclamations that the North-East is full of p#ssies because they freaked out over ''just a cat 1''. There's nothing impressive about the fact that a person becomes 'hardened' by habitual hurricanes. Neither do I get why people don't understand that the NE megalopolis gets more media attention than all the midwestern and southern states combined. It's just a numbers game. More people live in the NE megalopolis...

Sandy was unprecedented, period. Unprecedented events get a lot of attention.

I'm from Canada. If I see Houston flooding, I yawn. If I see Manhattan flooding, I am impressed. Does that indicate I have an east coast bias?

I'm pretty sure a Hurricane in Arizona would get even more media coverage. Cause it's unfathomable right now.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post

I'm from Canada. If I see Houston flooding, I yawn. If I see Manhattan flooding, I am impressed. Does that indicate I have an east coast bias?

Yes, it makes you a typical northerner d bag. Which is why I have very little sympathy for the coast coast right now.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
Quote:

I agree. Anytime a natural disaster claims lives, it is very sad.

I think Southerners themselves don't make a huge deal out of hurricanes because most of them have gone through many in their lives. I remember being freaked out by the impending Ike hurricane while my native Houston colleagues were like "no big deal...I'm planning my hurricane party". On the other hand, the businesses shut down here for a little ice a few years ago. It is all about what is usual for a place and whether a place is prepared for it. And yes, there would be a media frenzy if Houston got 3 feet of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston