Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Here is my point - because it keeps getting missed:

People in the Gulf areas go through this on a regular basis. No sympathy - no news. Just get through it. People in other parts of the country pay little or absolutely no attention to the tribulations these people go through.

Now it is going to hit in a different part of the country. I have had friends and relatives calling from that area, asking what to do, in a total panic. I have tried to help.

Yet.... yet, when one is due to strike here - they never call. They just assume (if they even hear at all, which is usually not) that I will be OK. To be fair, most never even hear that something may hit.

My point is how uneven coverage is - not how I wish people in the NE be smashed.
When something happens as a matter of routine, it's not news. The disproportionate response is because of the disproportionate odds/incidence of occurrence in the respective locations. It's not that hard for anyone who doesn't have Coast Envy to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Weather coverage has definitely intensified since Allison because of Katrina. A natural disaster hitting the Northeast/Mid Atlantic has a much larger ripple effect on the U.S. and world compared to Houston. Are we really comparing NYC/Boston/Washington D.C./Philly to Houston/Galveston??
Exactly. This storm is going to be affecting SEVERAL of the largest and most densely populated urban areas in our nation. Why wouldn't it receive more news coverage than any Gulf Coast hurricane? I don't see this as having to do with any kind of favoritism towards the northern cities.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:

People in the Gulf areas go through this on a regular basis. No sympathy - no news. Just get through it. People in other parts of the country pay little or absolutely no attention to the tribulations these people go through.

Now it is going to hit in a different part of the country. I have had friends and relatives calling from that area, asking what to do, in a total panic. I have tried to help.

Yet.... yet, when one is due to strike here - they never call. They just assume (if they even hear at all, which is usually not) that I will be OK. To be fair, most never even hear that something may hit.

My point is how uneven coverage is - not how I wish people in the NE be smashed.
We get your point. You like attention. Point made. Let's move on.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
This made no sense. What would be attention-getting is if I posted that I wished some sort of pox on the NE, which you have actively tried to make it seem. You took something and twisted it.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
I just looked up Hurricane Isaac and there looked to be quite a bit of information concerning it pre-landfall. The New York Times even reported on it! What were those east coasters thinking! Always looking down on us Texans from their ivory towers.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:

I disagree. Coverage of hurricanes hitting here do get national coverage.

Ike's Wrath: Entire Towns Disappear - ABC News
Ike's Wrath: Entire Towns Disappear

Here is national coverage of a tornado in Branson, MO
Tornadoes Slam Branson, Mo., Midwest - ABC News

Joplin's tornado and the large outbreak of 15 different tornadoes also rated coverage.

Here is an interesting comparison of Irene and Sandy, btw
Sandy vs. Irene: How Do the Storms Stack Up? - Metropolis - WSJ

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Only because it went so wrong. What was covered was the disaster that was not addressed.
I seem to remember quite a bit of news coverage before Katrina even made landfall.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
This made no sense. What would be attention-getting is if I posted that I wished some sort of pox on the NE, which you have actively tried to make it seem. You took something and twisted it.
Call somebody up in Florida and asked them if they're laughing.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I disagree. Coverage of hurricanes hitting here do get national coverage.

Ike's Wrath: Entire Towns Disappear - ABC News
Ike's Wrath: Entire Towns Disappear

Here is national coverage of a tornado in Branson, MO
Tornadoes Slam Branson, Mo., Midwest - ABC News

Joplin's tornado and the large outbreak of 15 different tornadoes also rated coverage.

Here is an interesting comparison of Irene and Sandy, btw
Sandy vs. Irene: How Do the Storms Stack Up? - Metropolis - WSJ
I appreciate this, but IKE coverage was avoidable, unlike Sandy coverage right now.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM

This reminds me of the weeping and gnashing over the space shuttle and Houston. Them dern east and west coasters always getting all the good stuff! It's just not fair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston