Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your "crap hole" comment on the previous page made your feelings about DC quite clear, to me.

You're entitled to your twisted interpretation of "the facts", but I'm not noticing a great deal of people here who will take you seriously.
No, I gave a "balanced" perspective vs your DC is just plain awesome analysis. I said the things I liked and the things I didn't like. Other posters jumped in and pointed out negatives and you respond with sarcasm. You know, not every area is perfect. All places have good and bad. DC, the bad is cost of living, traffic and crime. I can't fix that for you. I'm sorry. There are plenty of good things. Very scenic, good economy, lots of things to do and great mass transit. That is the balanced answer. Can you dig it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
No, I gave a "balanced" perspective vs your DC is just plain awesome analysis. I said the things I liked and the things I didn't like. Other posters jumped in and pointed out negatives and you respond with sarcasm. You know, not every area is perfect. All places have good and bad. DC, the bad is cost of living, traffic and crime. I can't fix that for you. I'm sorry. There are plenty of good things. Very scenic, good economy, lots of things to do and great mass transit. That is the balanced answer. Can you dig it?
I'm the only one here being objective. You can't claim to be doing the same when you use the term "crap" to describe a city. Your stance is clearly one-sided.

And since you all keep bringing up the prevalent crime (that is apparently absent in our city), it would help the OP to provide some statistics to support this.

Exactly what about my posts suggests that I find DC to be awesome?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
There is NO comparison between the state of Texas and Washington, District of Columbia. Enough said.
Looks to me just like Texas,
just imagine that the Potomac is Rio Grande and Virginia is Mexico.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Eh, that's one opinion. I can't exactly expect three people who clearly have it in for DC to give the most objective info.

The way y'all describe it, you'd think everyone in DC including Obama is sleeping with one eye closed for fear of being robbed or shot.

I actually doubt that the average person in that city is anymore worried about being a victim than the average Houstonian is.
I agree that it's just my opinion. However, it would be pretty hard trying to find someone else who has experienced both areas and share the same opinion. Dowling and Almeda are safe areas and streets; Southeast DC is infested with all types of violence.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
not seen this in Houston yet!

D.C. principal accused in parking lot beat-down | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
No, in Houston, faculty members only beat up students.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I seriously doubt that. Houston and DC hoods are vastly different; with the latter having the worst. I use to spend summers in DC and I experienced more crime and violence in one summer there than my many trips [including living in Houston].

I don't know what part of Southeast DC you were in, but I can guarantee it's not like Dowling or Almeda. I was surprised by the crime rate in Capitol Hill as well. I always envisioned it as safe and posh. I was so wrong.

The crime in Houston is more contained to certain areas; whereas crime in DC spreads out within it's surroundings. You may have a crime-infested housing projects or apartments in a neighborhood in Houston, but its influence and affects on the surrounding areas aren't as drastic as in communities and areas like this in DC.
It's obvious who has spent some time in DC (more than a visit) and who hasn't - blkgiraffe is exactly right. Anyone who says otherwise is completely and utterly wrong. You are not going to find yourself wandering around the Museum District in Houston and suddenly find yourself in a drug-infested gang warzone simply because you wandered a block or two in the wrong direction. That can and does happen in DC if you wander a few blocks from the Capitol Hill area and other tourist areas.

The two just aren't comparable. I don't know what the point of trying to pretend that there is a false equivalency between Houston and DC is, but it doesn't exist. I'm not saying Houston is a crime-free paradise, but in Houston you have to make a conscious effort to get to the bad parts of town or or be a complete newbie to the City. In either case, you almost certainly have to drive to the bad parts of Houston, which is a lot safer and offers more personal protection than the likelihood of wandering a block or two in the wrong direction.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It's obvious who has spent some time in DC (more than a visit) and who hasn't - blkgiraffe is exactly right. Anyone who says otherwise is completely and utterly wrong. You are not going to find yourself wandering around the Museum District in Houston and suddenly find yourself in a drug-infested gang warzone simply because you wandered a block or two in the wrong direction. That can and does happen in DC if you wander a few blocks from the Capitol Hill area and other tourist areas.

The two just aren't comparable. I don't know what the point of trying to pretend that there is a false equivalency between Houston and DC is, but it doesn't exist. I'm not saying Houston is a crime-free paradise, but in Houston you have to make a conscious effort to get to the bad parts of town or or be a complete newbie to the City. In either case, you almost certainly have to drive to the bad parts of Houston, which is a lot safer and offers more personal protection than the likelihood of wandering a block or two in the wrong direction.
And Capitol Hill is the perfect example of what I speak of. I was really surprised by the crime element in that neighborhood.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
And Capitol Hill is the perfect example of what I speak of. I was really surprised by the crime element in that neighborhood.
Same. I lived in a gentrified neighborhood to the west of Capitol Hill and it was less than four blocks to some extremely dangerous areas. Even some of the tourist attractions, such as the old RFK stadium, were in some extremely unsafe areas.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Surprise, surprise. The two timid DC-bashers agree with each other.

War Beagle, how convenient for you to point out how "wrong" you feel I am about the crime situation, yet you had nothing to say towards jek's ridiculous claim of Houston being comparable to DC in walkability.

By the way, gentlemen, we're still waiting on those crime stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston