Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM

12 posts, read 31,459 times

Advertisements

What are the best places to live if you work near I-45 (North Freeway) and Beltway 8 and you want:
  • Stable middle or upper class neighborhoods
  • Prefer older, established, desirable neighborhood, even if inner city, but can do suburbs.
  • An area that will probably stay stable for at least a decade or two.
  • Can get good quality homes, abt. 2000 sq or more for $350K-ish.
  • 30 minute or less commute in typically bad traffic (i.e., 30 minutes isn't "best case scenario").
  • Single family detached homes.
  • Public schools that are good from elementary through high school. OK with inner city schools as long as they are good, have significant middle class presence in student body, and have high parental involvement, such as good PTA and scout units based out of the school.
  • Area that has more character than paved over cropland.

Also, it appears that I-45 (North Freeway) and Beltway 8 area has declined considerably in the past couple of decades. Is this true? Has this decline stabilized, or is it going to sink further?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,784 times
Klein ISD/Cy-Fair/Spring. That area has declined considerably and I don't see it improving and with that you have to move out to get what you want and just deal.

You just have to get use to a suck it up on commute times if you want all that safety, great schools, etc not to far from your job. Klein isn't too far but on a regular commute I'd say 30-45 minutes. It's not horrible by any means.

Considering your location and the fact that you want more bang aka house for your money you're looking at Klein and Cyfair. Just avoid Klein Forest because it's the downside to KISD but the other schools have good elementary to high schools and I do believe the Cyfair schools are all pretty good.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 AM

342 posts, read 803,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authorized User View Post
Also, it appears that I-45 (North Freeway) and Beltway 8 area has declined considerably in the past couple of decades. Is this true? Has this decline stabilized, or is it going to sink further?
The area Greenspoint is now known to some Houstonians as "Gunspoint." The area is still iffy and some of the crime moved up north around FM1960. Greenspoint Mall used to be a 2nd-tier mall (with Galleria Mall being 1st-tier), now it barely exists and part of the mall is now a Houston Police Dept. The area is safe as long as you are aware of your surroundings, just like anywhere actually.

If you want good schooling, you will need to venture to Kingwood/Humble area, or Cy/290 area. The houses around 290 is newer than around 59 area. And if you want to live in the city, Heights is a good place which is closer than going to 290 and 59. Most of the good schools and areas are on the borders of Harris County, with exception to I-10 East.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Just curious: why Kingwood/Humble or Cy/290 over The Woodlands/Spring?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,858 times
Certain parts of Spring/The Woodlands are in Conroe ISD. which from my understanding, is better than spring isd..please correct me if im wrong...my son hasnt even turned 2 yrs old.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
Certain parts of Spring/The Woodlands are in Conroe ISD. which from my understanding, is better than spring isd..please correct me if im wrong...my son hasnt even turned 2 yrs old.
Interesting. I get the feeling that Spring ISD has declined considerably in the past two decades.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM

The more I look into it, looks like The Woodlands is the place to be, especially with Exxon putting its huge new facility in there in a couple of years.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
I pulled out some maps, and looks like The Woodlands proper is almost entirely in Conroe ISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston