Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,601,105 times

Advertisements

Wow Chicago to Katy? That's a huge step down. I am sorry but then again if you're raising a familiy then I see why it's appealing.

Katy Schools are great so I am not doubting your choice. If I sound jaded it's because I grew up in Katy Cinco Ranch area and I personally would never move back.

If you're looking for an extremely planned to the last detail type of community, where all the homes look the same and it's beyond suburbia, I mean comericialized suburbia...then Cinco Ranch is for you.

Then again I never understood the whole idea of commuting long distance for work that's quite popular in Houston. Energy Corridor isn't far but I've known people crazy enough to commute from Katy to the Woodlands or Old Katy to the Beltway Clay Road area!

Why not just buy a house around Eldridge Parkway? It's a really nice affluent area over there with a big community of engineers and petro-families. Or perhaps Memorial which puts Katy to shame! It's pretty and wooded over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,643,580 times
Ha. My husband used to work in the energy corridor. We live in one of those communities in Richmond that is a stone's throw from Cinco Ranch. My husband used to go on the Westpark Tollroad to I-10 to the Energy Corridor to work and it would take him 20 minutes. Not bad.

What is funny is that we are getting ready to put our 4 BR house on the market. We have three kids too.

Anyway, good luck. We love it down here. We moved here 8 yrs ago, also from the Midwest, for that energy job.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 AM

339 posts, read 798,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee_Chicago View Post
All info is greatly appreciated, and of course if anyone knows of a bar that will play the Chicago Bears games that would also be Awesome
Buffalo Wild Wings would be good for you and your kids to watch Bears games. Or find a local chapter of Bears fans in the Houston area, I know they exist because I've seen a lot of Cubs fans at Astros games. As for schooling, definitely use Katy, or Cinco Ranch schools. Or schools around 290 (Cy schools), or a very diverse Sugarland (Ft. Bend schools). The Katy/Cinco Ranch location is ideal for work and for leisure. Minutes from work and not too far of a drive to the Galleria (#1 shopping destination) especially if you take the Westpark Tollway. Even better if they build the Grand Parkway loop, you'll be going to places all over Houston.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 AM

12 posts, read 30,778 times
I grew up in the United Kingdom and moved to the US 13 years ago, and all that time I’ve lived in Chicago.
The first 4 years I lived in Lakeview, and the last 9 years we have lived in Wicker Park

It’s a huge step for us to move to Houston, but I think once we find a house and get our 3 Children settled in a school we will really start to enjoy Houston

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM

12 posts, read 30,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Gee_Chicago, I am from Chicago originally. Did you grow up in Chicago or the burbs? This is actually a very important question.
I grew up in the United Kingdom and moved to the US 13 years ago, and all that time I’ve lived in Chicago.
The first 4 years I lived in Lakeview, and the last 9 years we have lived in Wicker Park

It’s a huge step for us to move to Houston, but I think once we find a house and get our 3 Children settled in a school we will really start to enjoy Houston

Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,891,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee_Chicago View Post

The weather will probably be the hardest thing to get used to. Traffic probably won't be too different overall. Your income will definitely get you further down here. Houston has most of the same types of cultural activities as Chicago, though the museums might not be as good here. Unfortunately, there is not a great lake but the people are undoubtedly much more friendly and welcoming than in Chicago.

P.S. I was born in Chicago and my dad's whole side of the family is from there. Out of his parents and their 5 kids, only 1 chose to stay in the Chicago area.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM

452 posts, read 894,559 times
You will be fine the kids are going to be fine with adjusting, like I told my kids with moving it just means they have more friends in more places. Katy/Cinco Ranch is growing so if you find a house on HAR right now it will most likely not be there when you do move. There are new schools being built so check on KATY ISD to see about zoning do not rely on realtors to let you know or HAR because it can change. The heat will be different for you but you will get used to it. I was in Chicago over the summer and it is pretty because of the lakes the only thing I had to get used to is when boating close to shore watch out for alligators, there are small lakes around to boat. We have the beach about 1 hour away to ocean. There is much to do the only thing I miss about Chi town is on St Pat's day do they still turn the downtown river green or am I thinking of a different city? I have to correct myself sometimes I miss the snow but I do not miss shoveling it. Good Luck in the move.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 PM

241 posts, read 583,411 times
My husband and my 1.5 year-old daughter and I live in Cinco Ranch and absolutely love it. Please let me know if you have any specific questions that I can answer.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 632,229 times
Hi, we are in Greentrails (77094 ) the address is still in houston but school district is katy isd. My husband works in energy coridor which is 3 miles away. My son starts Kindergarten this year and we are very happy about school, curriculum, great teachers etc.

Housing here are very affordable that is a plus.

Last edited by ptt; 11-30-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,715,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
Hi, we are in Greentrails (77094 ) the address is still in houston but school district is katy isd. My husband works in energy coridor which is 3 miles away. My son starts Kindergarten this year and we are very happy about school, curriculum, great teachers etc.

Housing here are very affordable that is a plus.
That's where we were and we loved it too. Hubby worked in the energy corridor as well. It was about 10 minute commute in the morning and about 15 minutes in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston