Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,894 times

Advertisements

what is the going rate in houston area for interior and exterior piers when having foundation work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM

and is olshan worth the extra expense, 550 a pier

Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,003,972 times
i had some crazy quotes from olshan - but i had the sense the guy was randomly being a slimebag and just making up numbers. atlas is the same company. strangely their estimate was completely different from olshan for the same work

jericho has been recommended several times on this forum and i would also recommend them. they may be quite a bit cheaper, but i can attest to the fact they do the same level of work and are really honest

i had ~10 piers put in on the interior and 7 adjustments to existing piers on the exterior. was about $8,200.00. went through the floor as opposed to digging under. going in not knowing much i thought i'd be facing some 40,000 repair. pleasantly surprised. i in the end didn't need that much work done. one of the other companies said i'd need 17. jericho told me that was ridiculous and there was no way the house would need that many to correct the foundation

Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,762,787 times
I second Jericho. My mother's house had some cracks in the brick. We called Jericho and they came out and inspected and said that she doesn't need any work done at all. Very honest.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,157,164 times
Default Tom Tynan helped make Olshan famous...

Because Tom has been promoting Olshan for 20+ years, you now have a generation who "trusts" them just because it has been beat into their minds all these years. When you get to be a well known brand like that, you charge high rates.... maybe to pay for advertising? I'm not sure how Olshan does business, but if they send out an "inspector" to look at it, quote you, and seal the deal, but then send out Pedro and Jesus to do the work, then you might just as well hire X company, who also employ Pedro and Jesus when Pedro and Jesus are not working for Olshan.

It is funny to hear Tom Tynan say not to hire companies who send out a salesman to up-sell you things, and instead go for the guys who come out and actually are there doing the work.

'Just curious jaytheplumber, are you really a plumber?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM

574 posts, read 1,630,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Because Tom has been promoting Olshan for 20+ years, you now have a generation who "trusts" them just because it has been beat into their minds all these years. When you get to be a well known brand like that, you charge high rates.... maybe to pay for advertising? I'm not sure how Olshan does business, but if they send out an "inspector" to look at it, quote you, and seal the deal, but then send out Pedro and Jesus to do the work, then you might just as well hire X company, who also employ Pedro and Jesus when Pedro and Jesus are not working for Olshan.

It is funny to hear Tom Tynan say not to hire companies who send out a salesman to up-sell you things, and instead go for the guys who come out and actually are there doing the work.

'Just curious jaytheplumber, are you really a plumber?
Isn't that so true!! I repped you for that one!!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 AM

126 posts, read 238,836 times
Allied Foundation hands down.

crackedslab.com

I had Olshan, Duwest, and one more come out and they wanted to level the whole house for about 20k!

Allied came out, said we just needed 6 piers on one corner to hold it up...total cost just under 1k. They will be the lowest priced reputable company. They have positive reviews.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM

Yes I am really a plumber

Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM

344 posts, read 1,244,765 times
So Jay, can foundation repairs damaged your pipes under the house?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,003,972 times
if your house was quality built or renovated there should not be many pipes running under your house (at least for that great of a distance). I have 3 sewer lines running from my house (2 bathrooms tied together, kitchen, laundry room). the longest span of piping is 10 feet along the inside perimeter of the house. shortest span is less than a foot as the punch out from the kitchen is directly out the wall into the pipe next to the driveway. there is nothing running underneath the main structure

the foundation company, if that is an issue, would map out your sewer lines to know where they are. mudjacking can commonly mess up pipes. ive not heard of piers breaking any lines. the settlement of the house can break up lines by cracking/splitting them at seams so if there is a leak it will make foundation issues worse and you would need the foundation company to dig out, halt work, get a plumber in there to fix everything and get the foundation people back on the job

a foundation company should always run a hydrostatic test to see if leaking is a contributing problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston