Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 47,225 times

Advertisements

Been house hunting for a while and finally came across something that both my wife and I like. However, upon reviewing the disclosure, seller did a partition of a big room into a study and a game room without a permit. It is not a big modification but I am wondering if there is any risk associated with it if I buy the house. Is it common for people to modify home without getting a permit? As I read before on this forum, any work needs a permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksquare88 View Post
Been house hunting for a while and finally came across something that both my wife and I like. However, upon reviewing the disclosure, seller did a partition of a big room into a study and a game room without a permit. It is not a big modification but I am wondering if there is any risk associated with it if I buy the house. Is it common for people to modify home without getting a permit? As I read before on this forum, any work needs a permit.
I dont know the answer but suspect it might depend upon where the home is located. I assume its in the city of Houston since you didnt say otherwise. However some older homes in the suburbs are now in the city but werent always. I had such a home in 77079, outside the city when I bought it but in the city when I sold it. We didnt make major mods but did a number of upgrades without permit.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default 90 percent plus...

Almost all modifications to homes in Houston are done without permits, else Olshan's, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. would not be in business. I'm not condoning this, it is just an observation. If it were me, I'd get the permits, it actually adds value to your home, though you will also get taxed more.

This will not prevent you from buying the house, it just means you can either take care of it, or kick the can down the road to the next owner. My house had many modifications to it that I know were not permitted (previous owners). The thing is, the city will not make you take anything down, or tear your walls open unless you voluntarily do it. If it is an addition, and it looks dangerous just by looking at it, then they will not let you occupy it... but you can still buy it.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I dont know the answer but suspect it might depend upon where the home is located. I assume its in the city of Houston since you didnt say otherwise. However some older homes in the suburbs are now in the city but werent always. I had such a home in 77079, outside the city when I bought it but in the city when I sold it. We didnt make major mods but did a number of upgrades without permit.
It is actually in Katy. I don't know about Fort Bend County policy.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Almost all modifications to homes in Houston are done without permits, else Olshan's, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. would not be in business. I'm not condoning this, it is just an observation. If it were me, I'd get the permits, it actually adds value to your home, though you will also get taxed more.

This will not prevent you from buying the house, it just means you can either take care of it, or kick the can down the road to the next owner. My house had many modifications to it that I know were not permitted (previous owners). The thing is, the city will not make you take anything down, or tear your walls open unless you voluntarily do it. If it is an addition, and it looks dangerous just by looking at it, then they will not let you occupy it... but you can still buy it.
I know I can still buy it but just wondering when I try to pass it down to the next owner, whether that will become an issue to turn away future buyers.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
There's so much work done without permits that I'm surprised they actually disclosed it. If you are really interested and the addition or modification looks to be done correctly and to code, then just do your proper inspections to be on the safe side. You can always hire a structural engineer, an electrician, etc to go over the work if you are really concerned.

The first option is always to get permits!! But sooo many people don't get them that's it's not uncommon at all. I would NOT buy a place that had major work done without permits. Like adding a second floor to a home, or building a full addition, or even a full rehab down to the studs. Just my opinion though.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Interior non-load supporting wall probably doesn't even need a permit. Even if they put in some plugs.

People don't need permits to remove non structural walls, so I doubt you need one to put it in. No big deal in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
There's so much work done without permits that I'm surprised they actually disclosed it. If you are really interested and the addition or modification looks to be done correctly and to code, then just do your proper inspections to be on the safe side. You can always hire a structural engineer, an electrician, etc to go over the work if you are really concerned.

The first option is always to get permits!! But sooo many people don't get them that's it's not uncommon at all. I would NOT buy a place that had major work done without permits. Like adding a second floor to a home, or building a full addition, or even a full rehab down to the studs. Just my opinion though.
The room does look professionally partitioned with wall. I guess it is not that major then. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I added 400sq ft of patio to my house without permit
when I went to the city hall or whatever is called, they just told me to show them picture of when it was being built to make sure it was done right, fill out paper work and pay them about $100.

In few words, you could go to city hall (or wherever people go for that) and find out.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM

the selling agent says permit is not required for incorporated Katy, is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: