Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It was... a while ago.
The best I remember was "Russian Bear"... but that one closed years ago...

BBQ exist but is not all too great.
Well, everyone has different tastes. If someone is looking for your typical, romanticized Texas BBQ, I won't point them in Houston's direction. Southern barbecue is what the city does better; that is, what is descended from black cooks in East Texas.

I'm not saying Houston is a GREAT barbecue town. We're no Memphis or Kansas City, but no one can tell me that quality BBQ can't be found here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
IMO East Texas has the best BBQ in the State of Texas. But I feel as though Houston comes in a close 2nd. The best BBQ places in Houston are in the neighborhoods where alot of mainstream "foodie" types avoid. The more black areas of Houston. It's even BBQ spots in both Dallas and Houston that have east texas style BBQ. But I got to give it to Houston because some joints have a mix of East Texas BBQ and Louisiana style food. I've tried some Austin BBQ and wasn't that big of a fan to be honest.
Totally agree on both counts.

The best BBQ in Houston are in areas that are not the safest parts of town.

as for the Hill Country vs East Texas BBQ, my personal preference is for the East Texas variety. Houston has all three though. They have a mix of Louisiana, and East Texas like you said, but they also have the Hill Country type. Its flatly wrong to say that Houston doesn't have good BBQ, they are just about the only place in Texas where you can get good BBQ of all three types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, everyone has different tastes. If someone is looking for your typical, romanticized Texas BBQ, I won't point them in Houston's direction. Southern barbecue is what the city does better; that is, what is descended from black cooks in East Texas.
and the thing is you are not going to find these joints in shiny restaurants in Uptown or Montrose, or River Oaks. MOst probably gonna be a stand with a covered patio where you sit on a hard bench next to people you have never met

Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Totally agree on both counts.

The best BBQ in Houston are in areas that are not the safest parts of town.

as for the Hill Country vs East Texas BBQ, my personal preference is for the East Texas variety. Houston has all three though. They have a mix of Louisiana, and East Texas like you said, but they also have the Hill Country type. Its flatly wrong to say that Houston doesn't have good BBQ, they are just about the only place in Texas where you can get good BBQ of all three types.

and the thing is you are not going to find these joints in shiny restaurants in Uptown or Montrose, or River Oaks. MOst probably gonna be a stand with a covered patio where you sit on a hard bench next to people you have never met
Exactly, it's this brotha who calls himself the Boudin man on Dowling street outside of a couple of hole in the wall joints serves some of the best BBQ I've tasted outside of East Texas. He doesn't own a restaurant just a pick-up truck and a stand. Burns BBQ is another good spot on the Northside off Antoine dr. right there in the middle of the hood. Some people need to get out their comfort zone more and shop around the area. Explore some good BBQ in the city.

The only BBQ I see where I see some "outsiders" is Thelma's BBQ in 3rdWard and that's probably because it's down the street from Univ. of Houston.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Exactly, it's this brotha who calls himself the Boudin man on Dowling street outside of a couple of hole in the wall joints serves some of the best BBQ I've tasted outside of East Texas. He doesn't own a restaurant just a pick-up truck and a stand. Burns BBQ is another good spot on the Northside off Antoine dr. right there in the middle of the hood. Some people need to get out their comfort zone more and shop around the area. Explore some good BBQ in the city.

The only BBQ I see where I see some "outsiders" is Thelma's BBQ in 3rdWard and that's probably because it's down the street from Univ. of Houston.
I am fortunate enough to live in as varied areas as the SW, Hiram Clark, 3rd Ward, Westheimer, etc and having relatives who live in the ghettos to the north U have sampled food from across the board. Have had the $80 dollar steak from Old San Francisco steakhouse before it closed to $1 tacos from trucks in Aldine.

I have had $75 Chinese dishes on Bellaire to delicious Indian desserts on Hilcroft.

The ghetto does have some good food

Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Quote:
I am fortunate enough to live in as varied areas as the SW, Hiram Clark, 3rd Ward, Westheimer, etc and having relatives who live in the ghettos to the north U have sampled food from across the board. Have had the $80 dollar steak from Old San Francisco steakhouse before it closed to $1 tacos from trucks in Aldine.

I have had $75 Chinese dishes on Bellaire to delicious Indian desserts on Hilcroft.

Yes, Houston's ethnic working class neighborhoods offer a treasure trove of edible delicacies.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:

See I don't get to the SW side of town as much so I miss out on alot of good ethnic foods.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
See I don't get to the SW side of town as much so I miss out on alot of good ethnic foods.
Yeah, a good 75 % of the ethnic food is in the SW. The east and north is where you get good southern and hole in the wall Mexican.

Hopefully the rail will open up Houston to more of that culture.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
I was just reading the Houston Press Top 10 Spring Branch places to eat. This diversity is what makes Houston a great food town.

Top 10 Restaurants in Spring Branch - Houston - Restaurants and Dining - Eating Our Words - Page 3

Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Yeah, a good 75 % of the ethnic food is in the SW. The east and north is where you get good southern and hole in the wall Mexican.

Hopefully the rail will open up Houston to more of that culture.
Southern or Soul Food? You know they are a little different.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Southern or Soul Food? You know they are a little different.
Soul foo is a subset of southen food. Why would I limit it to just Soul Food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston