Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,756,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Posting as many threads as you do is IMO a little kooky. A lot of your asking "asking" threads could be all in one but you post separate ones and that's kind of kooky odd to me. One single I'm going to UH could suffice for all questions - about the campus, parking, etc.

It's also nice for lurkers to have all related topics in one thread other than 1 for parking, 1 for commute, 1 for this. All in 1 UH especially if they're all by the same person. Just search your own and post in it if you want your threads on the front page everyday. Especially if it's a related topic.

I tried doing that and the moderators privately asked me to stop doing that. You can't start a thread about UH and have 20 different topics underneath it. What's the point to that? That is how threads get off topic and it's how debates gets started. You need to keep threads narrowly focused so they don't wander. Haven't you noticed how many threads have been shut down due to arguing? The CA vs Houston threads are a great example. That thread was very broad based and basically sunk to people attacking each other. Come on man, you've been around message boards for awhile, stop pretending like you don't know how they work. If you want a specific answer you need to ask a specific question. Not start a thread called California and then discuss everything from Marxism to Jerry Brown to the 49ers and throw in how beautiful SF is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
PCP's are moving away from prescribing these meds and requiring patients to consult with psychiatrists. A fairly new concept.
Hmm, didn't know that. It feels like everyone's kid is on something claiming ADD and ADHD. I know both are legit issues but I swear about 60% are just bad but the parents use it as a lazy way out so they don't have to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I tried doing that and the moderators privately asked me to stop doing that. You can't start a thread about UH and have 20 different topics underneath it. What's the point to that? That is how threads get off topic and it's how debates gets started. You need to keep threads narrowly focused so they don't wander. Haven't you noticed how many threads have been shut down due to arguing? The CA vs Houston threads are a great example. That thread was very broad based and basically sunk to people attacking each other. Come on man, you've been around message boards for awhile, stop pretending like you don't know how they work. If you want a specific answer you need to ask a specific question. Not start a thread called California and then discuss everything from Marxism to Jerry Brown to the 49ers and throw in how beautiful SF is.
True but you still post a lot of threads and are you even in Houston yet? It's kind of humorous to me in a way. Like Southernboy. He doesn't even live here. Like that scene in Mean Girls where the random girl was pouring her heart out and the dude incognito yelled out "She doesn't even go here" as in that school. It's funny like that.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM

103 posts, read 180,149 times
I can recommend Dr. Kenneth Arfa, he is actually the UH Psychiatrist and he's pretty good.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Hmm, didn't know that. It feels like everyone's kid is on something claiming ADD and ADHD. I know both are legit issues but I swear about 60% are just bad but the parents use it as a lazy way out so they don't have to do anything.

True but you still post a lot of threads and are you even in Houston yet? It's kind of humorous to me in a way. Like Southernboy. He doesn't even live here. Like that scene in Mean Girls where the random girl was pouring her heart out and the dude incognito yelled out "She doesn't even go here" as in that school. It's funny like that.
I guess you don't read all my threads. I started a thread yesterday stating I now am actually IN Houston. Got here early Tuesday morning.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
I can recommend Dr. Kenneth Arfa, he is actually the UH Psychiatrist and he's pretty good.

Thank you for that recommendation. I'll check him out.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,960,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I guess you don't read all my threads. I started a thread yesterday stating I now am actually IN Houston. Got here early Tuesday morning.
You post so many I can't keep it!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
If all you're looking for is a doctor to prescribe you ADD medication than a random google search will be just fine for you. Recommendations will be most useful for those looking for a psychologist or therapist to work through their issues with talk therapy. If that's what you're looking for I can send you several recommendations through a private message as I work in the mental health field.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
agree with westhou - ADD / ADHD medications virtually anyone you go to will start off with the same medications until you find works well for you. not a difficult process - i would try my PCP first just because that would be easiest and you wouldn't need a psychiatrist (as long as your PCP isn't a quack).

if you have bigger issues than ADD then go through your health insurance for names.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
agree with westhou - ADD / ADHD medications virtually anyone you go to will start off with the same medications until you find works well for you. not a difficult process - i would try my PCP first just because that would be easiest and you wouldn't need a psychiatrist (as long as your PCP isn't a quack).

if you have bigger issues than ADD then go through your health insurance for names.
Since I just moved here, I don't have a PCP yet. Have to find one one of those too. LOL. I think that Dr at UH is going to be my play. That was great advice from the op. I looked up his site and he seems to be pretty distinguished for whatever that means. He's also cheap! And I know what that means.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM

836 posts, read 1,110,558 times
Where did I read that people in Houston were supposed to be friendly? Maybe I was just dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston