Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times

Advertisements

No complaints. Try 103 in the Valley of LA. The sun felt way hotter than anything I've experienced in TX. It felt like it was melting my skin off. The CA sun is some hot as hell desert sun that will make you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass. At least the humidity takes some of the heat off, and it feels more steamy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
No complaints. Try 103 in the Valley of LA. The sun felt way hotter than anything I've experienced in TX. It felt like it was melting my skin off. The CA sun is some hot as hell desert sun that will make you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass. At least the humidity takes some of the heat off, and it feels more steamy.
I agree with you, the high humidity helps in two ways. Higher humidity keeps the temperature down as water vapor requires more heat to increase its temperature a degree than the ingredients of air. Secondly the higher humidity means more clouds in the sky which keeps your vehicle from roasting in the direct sunlight all day long as in Dallas or other less humid spots than Houston. I miss the colder winters while in Houston more than any time of year. I also like the crisp low humidity cool fall or early spring weather of Dallas compared to Houston.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM

403 posts, read 681,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree with you, the high humidity helps in two ways. Higher humidity keeps the temperature down as water vapor requires more heat to increase its temperature a degree than the ingredients of air. Secondly the higher humidity means more clouds in the sky which keeps your vehicle from roasting in the direct sunlight all day long as in Dallas or other less humid spots than Houston. I miss the colder winters while in Houston more than any time of year. I also like the crisp low humidity cool fall or early spring weather of Dallas compared to Houston.
Yes, but the latent heat content of water, and that water coming in from the Gulf during the summer is quite warm, also dictates that a parcel of air containing that water will be warmer than a similar parcel that is drier. This really stifles radiational cooling on summer nights because the air mass in place is too warm to cool down.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Yes it starts on May 20th and runs to September 15th. Then its only 85-90F.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Yes, but the latent heat content of water, and that water coming in from the Gulf during the summer is quite warm, also dictates that a parcel of air containing that water will be warmer than a similar parcel that is drier. This really stifles radiational cooling on summer nights because the air mass in place is too warm to cool down.
Agreed high water content air is like a buffer to temperature changes...both harder to heat up and harder to cool down due to the energy change required to make the change. I am not a fan of high humidity but it has some advantages which I tried to address.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:35 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We were planning a trip to visit relatives in Houston next March. However, something's come up where we might be going in early May instead. Is the heat and mugginess real bad by then? Just want to be prepared since I might need to get extra asthma meds.
Last St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) I spent it at the beach in Surfside, TX (just South of Houston)

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Default Thanks for the replies folks! :)

I have experienced some east coast humidity in Boston in July many years ago. I remember my clothes sticking to me as soon as I got off the plane. However it didn't bother my asthma because at that time I didn't have the disease. Lucky me, I have "adult onset" asthma!

Interesting feedback about dry vs humid BTW. My uncle says it cools down a bit in the evening in Houston. Phoenix can stay stifling hot well into the night. Las Vegas Nev. is similar; walking around at midnight in August when it's still over 90 degrees is weird. Also experienced the "hot and windy" in Vegas too like the blow dryer in your face. Really freaky!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Yes it starts on May 20th and runs to September 15th. Then its only 85-90F.
Why thank you! This is JUST the information I needed to make my plans! I'll make sure to get out of Houston on May 19th! Whew! (snicker snicker ha ha)

Old 12-21-2012, 06:08 AM

37 posts, read 63,142 times
The weather in May in Houston was in the 80-89's comparable to Southern California weather in the summer with a little more humidity. I'm referencing S. Calif. because I'm from there. May until June is very comparable to other cities in warm climates in the U.S. I've traveled all over also. If you are coming to Houston in that time frame you will most likely tolerate the warm weather. However, in July and especially August you will have a different opinion. It's not Arizona dry heat, in July and August it's Houston wet heat.

Summary: One or two months from May-June is Okay. If you stay longer July and August will get quite uncomfortable.

Hope I helped!

*****For Anyone that wanted my perspective on the summer heat in Houston in May *****

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
My wife and I are from the Gulf Coast, her Aransas Pass, me Houston, and we joke that the air in the coastal area in the summer is drank, rather than breathed because of the humidity. My wife's favorite memory is the smell of the air as a "Blue Norther" is coming through. On the Gulf Coast, when it happens, I have seen the temp drop 20 degrees real quick. Of course, the next day, it might be back up to 90 degrees. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston