Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 19,464 times

Advertisements

Never been to Humble, but will be relocating there soon. Looking at a house to purchase either in Atascocita South, or Kings River. How is the airport noise in Humble particualrly in the Atascocita area, and what do you like and not like about living in Humble? thanks for your inpurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,550,772 times
Default In my humble opinion....

You knew that was coming right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticorose View Post
Never been to Humble, but will be relocating there soon. Looking at a house to purchase either in Atascocita South, or Kings River. How is the airport noise in Humble particualrly in the Atascocita area, and what do you like and not like about living in Humble? thanks for your inpurt

Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 PM

2,275 posts, read 4,010,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticorose View Post
We lived in Atascocita and noise was not an issue for us.

Most of the complaints come from the neighborhoods just west of US 59 and just north of 1960. These are very close to the runway.

The Atascocita area is in the landing approach, so planes are going past ALL THE TIME but not loud.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 19,415 times
We live in Canyon Gate @ Park Lakes. Very affordable housing with great amenities for the price. Elementary School - Park Lakes is new, the administration needs some better organization skills, but they really put a lot of effort into the children. Middle School is Humble Middle School - this is an enthusiastic bunch of teachers and principals. They communicate well with parents and seem to be really vested in teaching the children, not just getting them to pass tests. I haven't had any experience with Humble High School personally yet as my children aren't old enough, but I have heard mixed reviews leaning more towards the positive in my opinion. Major thing I have heard is the diversity in HS. Some people don't like diversity, some do. Shopping areas are growing up around Wilson and Beltway 8 and the commute to many other areas is really good because you are close to the Beltway. No noise from the airport.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 25,395 times
Default Stay away from HHS

If you have children, stay away from any neighborhood where your children will go to Humble High School. The boundaries were redrawn not too long ago and my son is stuck at HHS. Be sure to move to a neighborhood where your child will go to AHS.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,542,200 times
We really like it here in Humble. We live in Fall Creek. Air noise is not an issue. Great schools - a new elementary about to open for fall 08. There is a lot of commercial actitivity in Atascacita. We are loving all the new shopping around here.

As far as Humble HS, I too have heard mixed reviews. Our babysitter went there and raved about it. My neighborhood feeds in to ASH. But I understand that a new middle school and HS will soon be built just down the beltway outside of Summerwood.

As far as things to do in Humble, I spend a lot of time in the surrounding area, especially Kingwood. But we have a much commute to downtown then those who live in Kingwood.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you. ~K~

Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 PM

832 posts, read 3,840,952 times
I live in Kingwood, which is close to Humble. Great area. Kandy is right about the commute. Fall Creek is superb in that regard. Just a hop, skip, and a jump to downtown. Kingwood is an additional 20 minutes.

ticorose, Kingsriver is actually part of Kingwood (though it is across the bridge.) Kingsriver feeds into Kingwood High.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:14 AM

209 posts, read 521,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_loves_astros View Post
If you have children, stay away from any neighborhood where your children will go to Humble High School. The boundaries were redrawn not too long ago and my son is stuck at HHS. Be sure to move to a neighborhood where your child will go to AHS.
What exactly is your problem with the high school? You supported no logical or valuable piece of information for us the "readers" to actually consider your "warning".

The thing i have noticed most about the negative reviews about Humble, usually hold no ground and are usually connected to the phrase "Lots of minorities, and high crime". Lets dissect that for a moment, shall we.

1.Humble is a major shopping and business area in North East Houston, much larger then both Kingwood and Atascocita combined. So naturally when you have over 200,000 people pass through your city of 14,765 you are going to see an increase in crime in areas of commerce. its no hidden fact, its actually quite well known...the more people, the more crime.(it does not affect the neighborhoods, just the Mall area)
2. The actually city of Humble is 10 square miles, and any crime representing Humble is not a reliable source associated with the Humble High school attendance zone.

3. Why is a numerous amount of Minorities a bad thing? My only conclusion is that they are unfairly scapegoated as "The bringers of crime"..that and those that assert that position are rascit bigots.

4. Yes, their are lots of Low income households in the Humble High school attendance zone. BUT, that does not lessen the value of the education that Humble High School produces....in fact i am a Humble Graduate, and don't consider myself less capable because of it.

5. I volunteer at the high school often, and attend alot of the functions (Sports of all sorts)...and i am telling you i have never encountered a community or kids with the respect passion and tradition of Humble High School students (and this is post Atascocita). Most of them are "yes sir" types...and the school and parents are doing a great job of bringing up young men and women. I love my community....and the fact that you are telling people to avoid it...without and reasonable explanation is simply bitterness or hatred on your behalf.

If you love diversity, and you love a great educational program (IB Program at Humble High...1 of only 3 schools in the Houston area to run the program)...and fantastic Athletic and Academic Extracurricular actives. Close knit community....then Humble is for you. Black, White, Asian, Hispanic....we see no colors or depths of pockets here...we welcome you all the same.

and a side note, I talked to the Humble ISD officer that now patrols Atascocita High school instead of Humble....because he said they are out of control over there"....and if im not mistaken, it was Atascocita middle school that a student was caught with a gun in their lockers....not Humble.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:10 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,662,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
3. Why is a numerous amount of Minorities a bad thing? My only conclusion is that they are unfairly scapegoated as "The bringers of crime"..that and those that assert that position are rascit bigots.
From the US Dept of Justice:

"At year end 2006 there were 3,042 black male sentenced prisoners per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,261 Hispanic male sentenced prisoners per 100,000 Hispanic males and 487 white male sentenced prisoners per 100,000 white males."

So statistically speaking you are 3 times more likely to have a crime committed against you by a Hispanic male then a white male and 6 times more likely to have a crime committed against you by a black male then a white male. There are numerous factors as to why that is the case but unfortunately those are currently the facts on the ground and ones that people take into consideration when they are looking for a place to live. You can call someone a racist for recognizing these realities but that wont change anything.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM

209 posts, read 521,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
From the US Dept of Justice:

"At year end 2006 there were 3,042 black male sentenced prisoners per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,261 Hispanic male sentenced prisoners per 100,000 Hispanic males and 487 white male sentenced prisoners per 100,000 white males."

So statistically speaking you are 3 times more likely to have a crime committed against you by a Hispanic male then a white male and 6 times more likely to have a crime committed against you by a black male then a white male. There are numerous factors as to why that is the case but unfortunately those are currently the facts on the ground and ones that people take into consideration when they are looking for a place to live. You can call someone a racist for recognizing these realities but that wont change anything.
So because an area has a high volume of minorities...it justifies telling people that the area is no good? Your logic fails to justify the assertion that a person can judge an area simply based on a area's demographics?

a national census on crime committed does not represent or translate to any area....would it be fair to say that Humble area is proportionate to crime levels of that of Compton or 5th ward? of course not...How about comparing the lower 9th ward to Lufkins 36% African American populations...would it be fair to say that the crime committed in those Minority neighborhoods would be proportionate to thr 9th ward? i think not.

I can call them how i see them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston