Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
You know what's really sad. Even the "green" jobs are leaving CA for TX. If that is not a kick in the nuts for CA, I don't know what is.
Does this really surprise you? Ca is toxic for companies, the high tax, high regulation approach doesnt stop for green companies. What is amazing is their legislature had to come visit to understand why jobs are leaving CA for Tx... talk about clueless...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
he is also a native Californian from the area - regarding Watson being a big upstream guy therefore moving to Houston

CA is not toxic for companies as they have thousands that are there and growing. O&G shifting from CA to TX makes a lot of sense without even discussing regulations or state politics. Texas is far from toxic for companies but we also have the highest levels of pollution in the US and are losing money due to tax cuts to get these companies to move here. we have a huge deficit and the state admits giving businesses these huge breaks takes a huge cut out of our revenue. but another 15 billion cut to schools will make sense. because you know selling texas out to outside corporations to the deficit of actual Texans makes sense long term

Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Yes I think there are in fact many people out there who rate having a decent income to support themselves
and their family and being able to afford a reasonable nice house in a good location as atleast as important
as the environment, and you find that odd or somehow like those people have misplaced priorities ?
No if people want that then so be it. But another poster mentioned (either you or Johnhw2) commented on how the employees of O&G companies are looked with a bit of disdain due to the more "liberal" view of NorCal and should go where they are accepted.

And I wanted to say that there are people who are ok with using the earth for $$ and promote it (read Houstonians) and people who feel strongly about the impacts these companies have on the environment and they protest and demonstrate their opinions.

I didnt say there was anything wrong with putting food on the table, but there are MANY MANY people in Cali and other parts of the country who feel that there is a cleaner and less hazardous way of making money. But Houstonians see the big paycheck from a dirty O&G job and keep their mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I worked for Superior Oil in the 1960's and the employees who had transferred to Houston from California never stopped whining about the move. Five-six-seven years afterward, they were still complaining. We couldnt wait for all of them to retire and move back to their beloved California .
Perhaps there was much to complain about?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post

I didnt say there was anything wrong with putting food on the table, but there are MANY MANY people in Cali and other parts of the country who feel that there is a cleaner and less hazardous way of making money. But Houstonians see the big paycheck from a dirty O&G job and keep their mouth shut.
Oh I think when it comes right down to it, the majority of Californians will also go with the money and waive goodbye to their unreasonable fantasies about a green environment. I'd bet if we had the info we would discover that the vast majority of the 800 or so San Fran-area based CVX employees will relocate to Texas rather than split with their employer and remain in California and take whatever they can find in the job market there. Wouldn't you agree ?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
No if people want that then so be it. But another poster mentioned (either you or Johnhw2) commented on how the employees of O&G companies are looked with a bit of disdain due to the more "liberal" view of NorCal and should go where they are accepted.

And I wanted to say that there are people who are ok with using the earth for $$ and promote it (read Houstonians) and people who feel strongly about the impacts these companies have on the environment and they protest and demonstrate their opinions.

Oh yes, that big bad oil. I say let's just do away with it since it's so dirty and horrible! Let's see how well our society functions without it. Yeah.... Are you kidding me? Get real, you sound like those out-of-touch fools in Hollywood. The best we can do is conserve and get oil as cleanly as possible, but your attitude is unrealistic and naive.

By the way, I have several friends in Houston and not one of them works in oil/gas. People move to and live in Houston for other things too. And here in Austin we have our fair share of complainers like yourself from CA or elsewhere as well. But we also have plenty of reasonable transplants who don't complain for no good reason; if they don't like something, they take action to make things better, but running around whining about much better it is where you came from accomplishes nothing but making people want to avoid you and your negative attitude.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:

Perhaps there was much to complain about?
lol - I hope you don't own a vehicle because if you do it is hypocrisy at its best - you don't want to get your hands dirty but you will reap benefit from what others sow. Or ever needed medical care? Probably the products used (iv's, syringes, etc. come from chemicals created by energy companies. Or, perhaps you are financially very well off because you have already benefited from the "cleaner and less hazardous way" that you apparently know of to get energy -- entrepreneur due to that "way" you know of? People all over the U.S. and in other countries work in the O&G industry - not just Houstonians - which by the way isn't the only employer in Houston. Medical, biotech and aerospace are all big employers here.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
People all over the U.S. and in other countries work in the O&G industry - not just Houstonians - which by the way isn't the only employer in Houston. Medical, biotech and aerospace are all big employers here.
True.

Houston gets the nod for those hunting for a better job - Houston Chronicle
Additional jobs by the numbers for 2013:
1. Construction: 16,200
2. Health care: 14,600
3. Food service: 9,800
4. Administrative support/waste management/remediation: 4,900
5. Other (consumer services, churches, clubs): 4,300
6. Manufacturing: 4,200
7. Retail trade: 4,100
8. Professional/scientific/technical: 3,700
9. Mining and logging/ energy/oil and gas: 3,100
10. Wholesale trade: 3,000

Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Oh I think when it comes right down to it, the majority of Californians will also go with the money and waive goodbye to their unreasonable fantasies about a green environment. I'd bet if we had the info we would discover that the vast majority of the 800 or so San Fran-area based CVX employees will relocate to Texas rather than split with their employer and remain in California and take whatever they can find in the job market there. Wouldn't you agree ?
Oh yes; I agree there are plenty of business first minded people in Cali that will relocate to Houston, they want their paychecks even if it means leaving Cali..

Im not saying im one of those who hates big bad oil... heck i work for a major Chemical company(which has a better safety and environmental record than almost all the O&G companies put together).

Im just saying that there are the Sierra Club type folks in other parts of the country that look down upon and show contempt to people who work in this industry.

And I know first hand that O&G companies bend over backwards to please government and public opinions.. I work in engineering, these companies spend MILLIONS upon MILLIONS trying to comply with government standards. And they should, its more dangerous and demanding then ever for everyone and EPA is the only agency that stands between environmental integrity and complete rapage of the earth. And so yes I support the EPA, but perhaps not the Sierra Club, those guys might take it a bit too far.

But for the average employee the offices are filled with honest, hard working people, that do the best that they can.

But when there are news feeds of oil leaking from underground 24 hours a day and all the scheming things that these companies do in Africa.. it sours public opinion. Its human nature, whether its right or wrong, its out there.

I know Houston has many other businesses than O&G; but you have to understand that businesses especially service and construction feed off of this industry, from the people employed by them.

The O&G industry as a whole employs far more people than the TMC, and indirectly finances and employs thousands and thousands more.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 PM

31 posts, read 33,938 times
California has more employee talent than Texas. Much better colleges dedicated to STEM, that's for sure.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaIsPrettyGreat View Post
California has more employee talent than Texas. Much better colleges dedicated to STEM, that's for sure.
The smartest employees in the world are worthless if no one can run a business profitably there. The brilliant employees will sadly leave so they don't starve. Not saying that is the case yet, but we'll see in 4 years how well California is doing with the democratic supermajority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston