Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 AM

87 posts, read 148,941 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I just got preapproved for a mortgage (single-family only) at my credit union for my first home, and my upper limit is $150k. I'm trying to figure out a good neighborhood/area to look at. I work in Spring Branch currently, and thought about staying there, but I'm not sure. I want good access to the downtown/Montrose area, since I'm still young and single. Also, I want a neighborhood where a single gay man like myself won't be totally ostracized or what not. I don't have kids, and really don't expect to have any in the near future. If anyone also knows a good up-and-coming neighborhood, that'd be great too. Thanks for any help y'all can provide! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year guys!!!

--Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
I don't think $150k will get your a single family home in Spring Branch. Not even close. I'd try a townhouse that qualifies as single family.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I don't think $150k will get your a single family home in Spring Branch. Not even close.
Not true, 77080 and 77043 have plenty in that price range. Just no one ever thinks of those areas as nice parts if sprig branch because of the schools. There are actually quite a few nice pockets. Though depending on where's he's working he might want to look for a nice house in candlelight terrace or oak forest west close to 290. They're a tad closer to downtown. Otherwise he'll need to revise his thinking down to a condo.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM

I actually have seen a couple of houses in 77080 that I like that are in a nice neighborhood, and that I can afford. I've looked at Oak Forest some as well, but not Candlelight Terrace. I'll look online at that neighborhood. I work in 77055 right now. I'm open to living further out if necessary, but I'm just not sure how tolerant or open the suburbanites are outside of Beltway 8. I know I'm playing the stereotype, but just don't have experience with the suburbs as a gay man. I just can't get a condo with the loan I was approved for.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I don't think $150k will get your a single family home in Spring Branch. Not even close. I'd try a townhouse that qualifies as single family.
Just curious...what is needed to make a townhouse qualify as a single family dwelling?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
Just curious...what is needed to make a townhouse qualify as a single family dwelling?
Don't know the specifics but I believe it's single family attached house. It's just connected to one other house but it's consider single family. They just share one wall. I have heard of townhouses being considering single family even though they're connected.

One of the realtors on here probably knows.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
I would suggest townhomes in the 77079 zip. Townhomes, not condos. Memorial Ashford may look physically identical to Georgetown - but one is condo - the other townhomes. It's the financial set-up. Condos - you own the airspace of your unit and a percentage of all of the community, based on your square footage. Townhomes - you own the unit and the ground below it. Because of the problems with abandonment in places like Florida, condos are having a very tough time with financing.

Oak Forest - that budget will buy a total fixer-upper. $150K will just be the beginning.

77079 townhomes will put you into an area close to entertainment - not too bad to Inner Loop.

Townhomes do not appreciate like single family homes - but they do a lot better than condos.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Ok, so mom (graytabbie) and I drove through a couple of neighborhoods the past few days: Inwood Forest and Briar Park. Neither one of us really cared for Inwood Forest too much, but I like the abundance of trees, the large homes for the money, and the peacocks! I'm especially partial to an albino peacock we saw. ;-) As for Briar Park, there seems to be good access to shopping and restaurants, and West Oaks Mall. However, it seems much farther out from Downtown and Montrose than Inwood Forest. There is a nice foreclosure I've seen online that really interests me in Briar Park. Anyone have any advice on Briar Park? Any on Inwood Forest/Greater Inwood? I'm sure comparing them would be like apples vs oranges. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmccoy View Post
Ok, so mom (graytabbie) and I drove through a couple of neighborhoods the past few days: Inwood Forest and Briar Park. Neither one of us really cared for Inwood Forest too much, but I like the abundance of trees, the large homes for the money, and the peacocks! I'm especially partial to an albino peacock we saw. ;-) As for Briar Park, there seems to be good access to shopping and restaurants, and West Oaks Mall. However, it seems much farther out from Downtown and Montrose than Inwood Forest. There is a nice foreclosure I've seen online that really interests me in Briar Park. Anyone have any advice on Briar Park? Any on Inwood Forest/Greater Inwood? I'm sure comparing them would be like apples vs oranges. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

Wait, poster graytabbie is your actual mom?

Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Inwood is going through transition pains - but will ultimately be a better investment than Briar Park, because of location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston