Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

I hope you find you connected neighborhood you want .... I still have no idea what you mean by not feeling connected. I worked and lived in Baytown and lived in West Houston and worked in Baytown and never had a feeling I would describe as being disconnected... Sure I live in Plano now....but have a East Houston connection (know people who live and work in there). That is my definition of a connection...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecey View Post
Really? I would have loved to live there. In terms of things to do, in relation to everthing around you. For example, In uptown, theres the galleria, shops, fancy restaurants, yada yada yada, To the east, there's montrose, upper kirby, downtown. South east, rice village, West U, Bellaire. To the South, there's Gulfton (not the best part of town, but rich in culture), Meyerland, Mo city/Sugar land. To the west, there's memorial/citycentre, katy, cinco ranch, westchase, EC. To the north-east there's the heights. A little further northwest, there's Champion, cypress, 1960. It seems more central, as opposed to downtown, where everything is located to the west. East of DT is the slowly developing Eado, UH....and that's about it. Trust me, there's nothing in the hoods to do.
Whenever I go back home me and my friends meet up at the galleria, then go from there.
I love living Uptown and have no plans to leave anytime soon and I get what you mean by it being in a location that's convenient to everything. From how you describe the center I can't argue with you.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
I've never been to Cloverleaf, but I get what you mean by the disconnected feel. Maybe it's the highway and lack of commercial/retail, the lack of bright lighting? I don't know, but the few times I've driven through Eastwood and further over, esp in the evening, I get this eerie feeling. I feel like if something were to happen to me, nobody would hear about it and maybe nobody would find my body. Lol, I know it's my over active imagination!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Couldn't you say the same for parts of southern Houston?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I hope you find you connected neighborhood you want .... I still have no idea what you mean by not feeling connected. I worked and lived in Baytown and lived in West Houston and worked in Baytown and never had a feeling I would describe as being disconnected... Sure I live in Plano now....but have a East Houston connection (know people who live and work in there). That is my definition of a connection...
Funny other people who live in Houston get what i'm saying but you living in Plano now don't understand the disconnect the east has with the rest of Houston. Nevermind the fact that I hear other Houstonians barley bring up the east when it comes to daily,weekly, interaction of things to do in the city of Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Couldn't you say the same for parts of southern Houston?
Southern area of Houston is pretty big and pretty populated and close to other heavily populated areas in the city of Houston. I feel no disconnect whenever i'm in the southern areas of Houston.

I'll even go as far to say I think it's more of a connection between Galveston then the eastern areas I named in Houston. Then again I could be pushing it with this one. It just feels cut off from the rest of the metro and that say's alot considering due to alot of unincorporated areas of Houston it's easy to find pockets of this all over the place. But even those small pockets feel more interacted with the fabric of Houston's core.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Yes, you begin to notice this disparity in development immediately east of downtown. The further out east you go towards the Galveston Bay the more limited land becomes due to the wetlands & eco-life.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I've never been to Cloverleaf, but I get what you mean by the disconnected feel. Maybe it's the highway and lack of commercial/retail, the lack of bright lighting? I don't know, but the few times I've driven through Eastwood and further over, esp in the evening, I get this eerie feeling. I feel like if something were to happen to me, nobody would hear about it and maybe nobody would find my body. Lol, I know it's my over active imagination!

Yep.

I feel that way too in East Houston. It feels like the boondocks. At least for me. Even Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake, etc the areas that have nice areas feel boondock-y because like you said it feels like everything Houston is on the westside and it really is.

Really once you hit east of 45 it's like a whole new world and very disconnected.

But like someone previous said, that area really feeds Houston yet it's not the most attractive by a long shot and kind of grungy so people just started moving as west as possible and setting up shop.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default No, not disconnected!

I know exactly what area the OP is talking about. It is only about a 10 minute Dr via I-10 to Downtown Houston. That is deffinitely not a disconnected area. It is right off the I-10 and has much less traffic than the West side of town.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
It's a shame that there aren't more things to do out there. Pasadena has 150,000 residents and Baytown has 70,000 residents making them the 2nd and 4th largest cities in the metro.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It's a shame that there aren't more things to do out there. Pasadena has 150,000 residents and Baytown has 70,000 residents making them the 2nd and 4th largest cities in the metro.
A lot of them come down to Kemah & Clear Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston