Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 PM

686 posts, read 1,170,367 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not! I hate the cold dry weather. Makes me want to hibernate indoors all day and night. Plus, don't feel like throwing on layers of clothing to stay warm when i'm outdoors. The less, the better. And my washing machine could use a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,512,371 times
In my younger days I loved cold weather. I lived in Denver and never wore a coat - only a sweater on the coldest days. But, as I age, I like cold weather less and less -- and I hate the current cold weather spell.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM

847 posts, read 1,755,759 times
I like this particular colder weather , but I dont like it when it gets colder/wetter cause the city acts as if we are having a blizzard. And it is actually dangerous driving around with ice patches on the freeway overpasses. Vehicles in houston dont have winter/snow tires, people only buy all-season tires at best. So be prepared Jek for the day it drops down below freezing and the city freaks out.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM

403 posts, read 683,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
I like this particular colder weather , but I dont like it when it gets colder/wetter cause the city acts as if we are having a blizzard. And it is actually dangerous driving around with ice patches on the freeway overpasses. Vehicles in houston dont have winter/snow tires, people only buy all-season tires at best. So be prepared Jek for the day it drops down below freezing and the city freaks out.
Winter/snow tires don't help on ice. Studded tires do, but there are only a few areas of the country where mounting studded tires even makes sense. More sensible driving practices make the biggest difference on ice, and in most winter driving situations. SUVs/trucks do no better than other vehicles, contrary to a lot of SUV/truck drivers' line of thinking.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,447,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I LOVE the cold. I feel like setting my tent in the backyard and sleeping outside. It makes you feel alive
I know, now I can finally come outside!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM

19 posts, read 23,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I'm from Chicago. Lived there 9 years. So yes, I know all about bundling up. I lived in this weather. It just doesn't feel right down here. Heck, people are mowing their lawns!!! Maybe it's because the visual is not lining up with the feel. It's playing games with my brain. I still don't believe you guys really like it though. Most of you are probably saying this while your inside your warm homes drinking hot coco and watching TV. LOL.
Mowing your yard in december and having to dodge christmas decorations and inflatable snowmen is just wrong. You should have real snow men in your yard lol. And that's a fairly recent thing I think (last 20 years or so). I don't remember having to mow in december when I was a kid here.

How did I like the weather yesterday? I was out there for several hours putting together a trampoline. I had a shirt & shorts on. It felt great. Around 3 in the afternoon it started getting chilly. I put on a light jacket and it felt great again. What do you do if you're out in the summer and it gets too hot? Well if you're already stripped down to your bathing suit there's nothing you can do other than run for a pool. But you might be trying to do something out there though.

It's nice to sit inside your house, with a blanket on, drinking hot coco, with a fire in the fireplace. You certainly wouldn't want to do that when it's 70-80 degrees outside. And no, I don't just sit around inside when it's cold. I go camping! For me, camping months in Texas are November - March or April. After that, it's miserable. Of course you could get your giant camper with the kitchen and A/C and go "camping" but that's not camping for me. I stick with a small backpacking tent.

Also when it's cold and I look outside, I see kids playing. In the summer? You won't see any kids out there, except for the pool.

btw... I just looked at the forecast. Nice to see it's at least going to be Fall weather rather than 70s or 80s.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,776,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedintx View Post
Mowing your yard in december and having to dodge christmas decorations and inflatable snowmen is just wrong. You should have real snow men in your yard lol. And that's a fairly recent thing I think (last 20 years or so). I don't remember having to mow in december when I was a kid here.

How did I like the weather yesterday? I was out there for several hours putting together a trampoline. I had a shirt & shorts on. It felt great. Around 3 in the afternoon it started getting chilly. I put on a light jacket and it felt great again. What do you do if you're out in the summer and it gets too hot? Well if you're already stripped down to your bathing suit there's nothing you can do other than run for a pool. But you might be trying to do something out there though.

It's nice to sit inside your house, with a blanket on, drinking hot coco, with a fire in the fireplace. You certainly wouldn't want to do that when it's 70-80 degrees outside. And no, I don't just sit around inside when it's cold. I go camping! For me, camping months in Texas are November - March or April. After that, it's miserable. Of course you could get your giant camper with the kitchen and A/C and go "camping" but that's not camping for me. I stick with a small backpacking tent.

Also when it's cold and I look outside, I see kids playing. In the summer? You won't see any kids out there, except for the pool.
I don't know where you live, but here in the Woodlands I see kids everywhere in the summer outside. We have 70 miles of bike and hiking trails here and they are packed. Granted they are shaded which is nice. But the parks are full of kids playing sports and I see kids out riding their bikes and skateboards.

I blame the parents for letting their kids sit inside and watch TV and play video games. That's bad parenting. Get your kids outside. It might reduce the dang obesity in this state.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM

62,057 posts, read 87,760,434 times
I love the cold spell. After so many days of 100+F in Summer, it's so nice being more outside and not dependent on A/C. Most of us get the rare opportunity of cooling off a bit, before the miserable humid/heat hit us again...

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 AM

62,057 posts, read 87,760,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
This! I would be happy if this weather lasted for months and it never got hotter than 78F.
^^^^^^ THIS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I LOVE the cold. I feel like setting my tent in the backyard and sleeping outside. It makes you feel alive
... And THIS! ^^^^^

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
This! I would be happy if this weather lasted for months and it never got hotter than 78F.
lol and I would be happy if it never got cooler than 78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston