Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
While certainly not "beautiful", it is more attractive than most parts of Houston. I will give it that.
Not beautiful? Good lord. Have you ever lived outside of Houston? Ever live outside of the US? Ever travel? You need to get out more if you don't think the Woodlands is beautiful. God what an elitist attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I wouldn't describe the Woodlands as "cool and hip" its a stale establishment made by developers who artificially sell "cool and hip" to naive folks... but different people have different standards...

OP: The FMC place that you may be talking about is very close to the Greenspoint area. Which like others have mentioned is not the most desirable area to be in. I know plenty of people that work in that area and they tend to stay north in the Woodlands, which is nice for your BF.. but not so nice for you.

A good compromise area that I would suggest is somewhere north west of downtown.. perhaps the Heights. Maybe north of Washington Ave. and perhaps get into a nice Condo.. so you arent wasting money on rent? Your BF would be heading north to work while you would be heading East to UH.

PS: you should definately take into account UH parking and Houston Traffic when attending classes. Former student speaking here...
Naive? Lol are you kidding? Surely you jest.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 AM

342 posts, read 803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
30-35 min is a perfect commute. Any hiccups (of which Houston has many) transforms that commute into an hour + easily.
Somewhat true that is why I commute to work before rush hour where traffic is minimal and when I come home I have 2 other options, if I'm in a hurry. Going to work, maybe at most 1-2 days of the year where I didn't make at the time I want to because of closing of the freeway. Going home before rush hour takes a little more time especially on Fridays around noon-2pm, but usually I make it home around 35-45 minutes because I drive slower going home.

Everyone I know won't set foot in The Woodlands. It is nothing but a bunch of chains centered around a big, suburban mall.

One reason why The Woodlands is so good because not every street corner is a shopping center, or a gas station. I really do not get why people's perception that the place I live in is snoobish. If I'm snoobish, at least my neighbors around me at least stayed for around 15+ years and free of crime. I haven't seen police, or fire sirens ringing in my subdivision for a long time, actually I don't remember when.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,584 times
Thanks for the help! All of the info is much appreciated.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,443 times
I may be a "Johnny Come Lately" on this, but if he's working for FMC, I'm assuming he'll be in the Greenspoint area.

Considering you have a few months, I'd look at the following areas when you contact a realtor- Spring, The Woodlands, and Klein. Going any further north would probably preclude attending U of H.

I live in an area called "Champions" which is a good area, but I don't think y'all will be able to afford anything near me (my wife and I totally lucked into our house or we'd be up in Spring or Klein).

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
I completely agree with the above poster...try 77379 on Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors: HAR.com. The key, if you want to live close to your work area...stay West of I-45 and North of 1960.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
I live in The Woodlands and that is worth checking out. Look into Kingwood also. You might like it...I have been to just about every area of Houston due to my business and I can tell you Woodlands is a great place to live. At least I love the place. Check it out...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM

561 posts, read 972,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Naive? Lol are you kidding? Surely you jest.
would you like a definition of naive?

I believe if a mass of people who go to some artificially built "hip and cool" place thinking a feel of a community and neighborhood can be duplicated by a large scale developer looking to make a profit then yes naive is the word I would use.

I had a conversation with someone about the Woodlands and other "city center/town center" type areas that have people throwing their money on the weekends. And what she said struck me (she lives in the Woodlands) was how she describes us Houstonians and especially Suburban Houstonians as sheep. We easily herded to wherever a shepherd takes us.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
would you like a definition of naive?

I believe if a mass of people who go to some artificially built "hip and cool" place thinking a feel of a community and neighborhood can be duplicated by a large scale developer looking to make a profit then yes naive is the word I would use.

I had a conversation with someone about the Woodlands and other "city center/town center" type areas that have people throwing their money on the weekends. And what she said struck me (she lives in the Woodlands) was how she describes us Houstonians and especially Suburban Houstonians as sheep. We easily herded to wherever a shepherd takes us.

People are not flocking to the Woodlands because they are told to, they are flocking there because it's affordable!!! Riddle me this batman. Say I've got a wife and two kids. I want to spend 250k on a house. Tell me where in the loop I can do that and NOT have to send my kids to private schools. River Oaks? LOL. Memorial? LOL. Bellaire? LOL. West U? LOL. Come on, I'm all ears. No, I'm serious, tell me where. As someone who recently moved here, I really want to know. All kidding aside.

Last edited by jek74; 01-14-2013 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
I live a few minutes from The Woodlands and love the area. Some nice bars and restaurants there, dont know much about clubs or anything. Seems to be a safe area too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston