Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 22,947 times

Advertisements

I know houses are inexpensive in the Houston area. I personally like Sugar Land. But what about the hidden costs: Property taxes, homeowners insurance, repairs/maintenance, utility bills, flooding risk? I'm not from Houston but am considering moving there and want to know the true cost of living.

For instance how much would a $450k house cost to insure? How much do you spend on home repairs, given that the harsh climate causes things to deteriorate quickly? I hear that houses need to be repainted every 5 years, fences and AC units only last 6-7 years, car batteries only last 2 years, etc. I'm from a mild climate where an AC unit will last 40 years, roofs 50 years, a car battery 6 years, etc. I pay $40/mo in electric bills in July.

Do you think Houston is still cheap all things considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 PM

293 posts, read 909,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_seven View Post
I know houses are inexpensive in the Houston area. I personally like Sugar Land. But what about the hidden costs: Property taxes, homeowners insurance, repairs/maintenance, utility bills, flooding risk? I'm not from Houston but am considering moving there and want to know the true cost of living.

For instance how much would a $450k house cost to insure? How much do you spend on home repairs, given that the harsh climate causes things to deteriorate quickly? I hear that houses need to be repainted every 5 years, fences and AC units only last 6-7 years, car batteries only last 2 years, etc. I'm from a mild climate where an AC unit will last 40 years, roofs 50 years, a car battery 6 years, etc. I pay $40/mo in electric bills in July.

Just my opinion, but I believe anybody thinking of buying a $450k house in Sugarland shouldn't be too concerned about the incidental costs of living in the Houston area. Especially the part about how long a 100 dollar car battery is going to last.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 22,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
Just my opinion, but I believe anybody thinking of buying a $450k house in Sugarland shouldn't be too concerned about the incidental costs of living in the Houston area. Especially the part about how long a 100 dollar car battery is going to last.
So $4k annual utility bills, $10k roofs, $3k fences, $5k windows, $3k house repaint, $3k central air, are "incidental" costs?

anything else you wanna add?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Quote:
But what about the hidden costs: Property taxes, homeowners insurance, repairs/maintenance, utility bills, flooding risk?
Property taxes are high, say 2 - 3% of appraised value per year but you can homestead so let's say $7000/yr.
Homeowners will vary, say $2700 with wind. Extra $300 for flood if not in a 100 yr flood plain (just don't buy in one so you don't have to worry about it, but still get the insurance). Utilities for summer time 3000 sq ft house built in 1965, $120 for water, $250 for electric, $150 for cable and high speed internet, $30 for gas. The total is alot less in the winter.

Quote:
How much do you spend on home repairs, given that the harsh climate causes things to deteriorate quickly? I hear that houses need to be repainted every 5 years, fences and AC units only last 6-7 years, car batteries only last 2 years, etc.
Not sure where you got the rest of this info from. My a/c is 12 yrs old on the outside and 3 years old on the inside, furnace is '96. I'm pretty sure my fence is at least 30 years old. So yes, no doubt I've got some repairs coming in the next few years but nothing like you've described. And who paints? Most houses are siding and brick. 2 years for a car battery?! Where did you get this stuff??

Ok, its hot, but its nothing like the wear and tear you get on a house in the northern climates. Freeze/thaw in every little crevice and wet basements - now that's harsh, that's where you get real damage $$$.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
So $4k annual utility bills, $10k roofs, $3k fences, $5k windows, $3k house repaint, $3k central air, are "incidental" costs?

anything else you wanna add?
A roof doesn't cost $10.000 here. I have a 2000sf house and it cost me less than $3,000. I paid $1200.00 to get my house painted( lots of wood, little bit of brick). You are correct, the weather is harsh here, however, repairs are less expensive.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
Quote:

OK, I'll share some costs with you. That way they won't be "hidden". A 300k home in the Woodlands. Property taxes are 5k a year. Current electric bill for a 3k foot home is $120 a month. In the peak summer it's $250 from June through Sept. Gas bill $60 a month. Cable TV and high speed internet about $120. This home is all brick so no re-painting needed. Almost all the homes in the Woodlands are brick. Fence? Are you serious? All the Woodlands is fenced but can't remember anyone every replacing one. Roof? [Mod cut: derogatory] Flooding risk? LOL. Zero. Insurance on home is about $100 a month. Anything else? All these bills btw are less then the northeast.

Last edited by elnina; 12-30-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
-Tax in suburbs is often about 3.5%. HOA can add another $1k per yr.
-450k doesn't get you into river oaks proper.
-ACs typically last 10-25yrs depending on brand. Car batteries last 3+ yrs depending on quality.
-The only thing expensive is tax, but you dont' have state tax here.
-Agree with previous poster. If you can afford $450k house, you shouldn't worry about the incidentals that come with home ownership such as utilities and repair(aside fr tax). If you have to sweat that, you're buying beyond your means.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 PM

75 posts, read 205,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
OK, I'll share some costs with you. That way they won't be "hidden". A 300k home in the Woodlands. Property taxes are 5k a year. Current electric bill for a 3k foot home is $120 a month. In the peak summer it's $250 from June through Sept. Gas bill $60 a month. Cable TV and high speed internet about $120. This home is all brick so no re-painting needed. Almost all the homes in the Woodlands are brick. Fence? Are you serious? All the Woodlands is fenced but can't remember anyone every replacing one. Roof? [Mod cut: derogatory] Flooding risk? LOL. Zero. Insurance on home is about $100 a month. Anything else? All these bills btw are less then the northeast.
5K is less than 2-3% most people have quoted. Are taxes lower in the Woodlands? Is it safe to assume worse case for the woodlands would be 2%? Thanks.

Last edited by elnina; 12-30-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover79 View Post
5K is less than 2-3% most people have quoted. Are taxes lower in the Woodlands? Is it safe to assume worse case for the woodlands would be 2%? Thanks.
2-4% is what you should go by, not $$ amount. I'm not sure if there are any areas that actually get to 4%, but I know we pay about 3.6% in my area. I live in a 3,000sqft house, but pay about $10K in taxes. Usually areas without MUD taxes are down in the 2%+ range.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM

498 posts, read 837,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
A $450k house in Houston could just about get you into River Oaks.
So close...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston