Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:03 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Clearly, you don't have a clue what "Houston is all about", since you seemed shocked that it gets cold here.

I seem to recall a thread where you're getting on people for complaining about the heat and sun during summer, yet here you are complaining chilly weather in winter.
No, once again you are not reading my post. I was shocked that people here "like" the cold wet weather. I have spent the the past 5 Christmases down here in Houston. I know exactly how cold it gets. But this idea that people actually like cold, damp, rainy, grey weather is a little silly. I can understand cool weather. Hell I can even understand ice cold and sunny. But I'm going to call BS on anyone that says they actually enjoy cold, damp, wet, gray weather day after day. Please in the future refrain from putting words in my mouth that I did not say. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
No, once again you are not reading my post. I was shocked that people here "like" the cold wet weather. I have spent the the past 5 Christmases down here in Houston. I know exactly how cold it gets. But this idea that people actually like cold, damp, rainy, grey weather is a little silly. I can understand cool weather. Hell I can even understand ice cold and sunny. But I'm going to call BS on anyone that says they actually enjoy cold, damp, wet, gray weather day after day. Please in the future refrain from putting words in my mouth that I did not say. Thank you.
On your second page post, you sounded as if the cold weather was bothering you as much as the cloudiness. Even still, you're complaining about overcast weather after choosing to live in one of the wettest cities of the nation. It's only likely that some days will be a bit moist and cloudy. That type of weather is what Houston is "all about"; part of the time, anyway. We aren't Phoenix.

Yes, some people do like the gray and damp days. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it any less valid.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
On your second page post, you sounded as if the cold weather was bothering you as much as the cloudiness. Even still, you're complaining about overcast weather after choosing to live in one of the wettest cities of the nation. It's only likely that some days will be a bit moist and cloudy. That type of weather is what Houston is "all about"; part of the time, anyway. We aren't Phoenix.

Yes, some people do like the gray and damp days. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it any less valid.

Oh God. Let me walk you through this. Here is my quote word word from page 2:

"Honestly if the weather was like this for months on end, I would never move here. If I want cold and deary I can find that all over the midwest and northeast. Nobody likes cold weather in Florida either."

Obviously the weather in Houston is NOT like this very long. It's freaking hot and humid most of the year. But if Houston's weather was like the last week for 8 or 9 months out of the year, then I would not enjoy living here and wouldn't. I'm not "complaining" about it as you put it. I made a statement that if it "were" like this all the time, I simply would not live here. I also added in another post that I don't think people like this weather exactly as I described it. I think people do like cool weather. I think people do like rain. Even cloudy. But the combination of "cold, rainy and gray" is a combination that probably less then 1% of the population would enjoy. I NEVER said I don't like rain. In fact, I LOVE rain so your comment is meaningless about this being one of the wettest city in the nation. I lived in FL where we got rain every single day at almost the exact same time! The difference was it was hot as hell out and the rain cooled the weather off. I LOVE rain when it's 95 and and it drops the temps 10 degrees. But no, I do not like 35 degrees and rain and gray. Arrest and charge me.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Quote:
Well, then I guess I am "silly" because I do prefer that kind of weather. Always have, always will. I am not a hot weather person and loathe the summers here but this is where our job is (and we are grateful to have it) so here we are. The summer is too hot for too long for me. Anyone would think we have had cold weather for weeks from the way you complain. I am not full of BS and shame on you for assuming everyone must think as you do.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
Well, then I guess I am "silly" because I do prefer that kind of weather. Always have, always will. I am not a hot weather person and loathe the summers here but this is where our job is (and we are grateful to have it) so here we are. The summer is too hot for too long for me. Anyone would think we have had cold weather for weeks from the way you complain. I am not full of BS and shame on you for assuming everyone must think as you do.
I said 1% of the people probably enjoy cold, rainy, grey weather. I stand by that. I never said EVERYONE. I know this is a message board where the bar is set pretty low, but if someone is going to attack me, can you please read my posts firsts before you attack. BTW. I love cold weather. I lived in Chicago for 9 years. We had temps for weeks on end where it was -15 out with windchills at -50. But I never enjoyed the cold rain, the 35 degree rain. Especially when it lingers. Again, please read my posts in their entirety. Or don't. I guess I really don't care. It's a message board. Carry on.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 PM

47 posts, read 134,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Me too!!!! This not cold, but I'll take what I can get. I also love the cloudy days. Wish it would stay this way for weeks.
Sounds like you should move here to Seattle!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Oh God. Let me walk you through this. Here is my quote word word from page 2:

"Honestly if the weather was like this for months on end, I would never move here. If I want cold and deary I can find that all over the midwest and northeast. Nobody likes cold weather in Florida either."

Obviously the weather in Houston is NOT like this very long. It's freaking hot and humid most of the year. But if Houston's weather was like the last week for 8 or 9 months out of the year, then I would not enjoy living here and wouldn't. I'm not "complaining" about it as you put it. I made a statement that if it "were" like this all the time, I simply would not live here. I also added in another post that I don't think people like this weather exactly as I described it. I think people do like cool weather. I think people do like rain. Even cloudy. But the combination of "cold, rainy and gray" is a combination that probably less then 1% of the population would enjoy. I NEVER said I don't like rain. In fact, I LOVE rain so your comment is meaningless about this being one of the wettest city in the nation. I lived in FL where we got rain every single day at almost the exact same time! The difference was it was hot as hell out and the rain cooled the weather off. I LOVE rain when it's 95 and and it drops the temps 10 degrees. But no, I do not like 35 degrees and rain and gray. Arrest and charge me.
Oh, okay. Your previous posts weren't this clear and concise, so I didn't quite understand exactly what you were saying. You can sue me.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I said 1% of the people probably enjoy cold, rainy, grey weather. I stand by that. I never said EVERYONE. I know this is a message board where the bar is set pretty low, but if someone is going to attack me, can you please read my posts firsts before you attack. BTW. I love cold weather. I lived in Chicago for 9 years. We had temps for weeks on end where it was -15 out with windchills at -50. But I never enjoyed the cold rain, the 35 degree rain. Especially when it lingers. Again, please read my posts in their entirety. Or don't. I guess I really don't care. It's a message board. Carry on.
I did read your post, maybe you should read it.

But this idea that people actually like cold, damp, rainy, grey weather is a little silly. I can understand cool weather. Hell I can even understand ice cold and sunny. But I'm going to call BS on anyone that says they actually enjoy cold, damp, wet, gray weather day after day.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
I did read your post, maybe you should read it.

But this idea that people actually like cold, damp, rainy, grey weather is a little silly. I can understand cool weather. Hell I can even understand ice cold and sunny. But I'm going to call BS on anyone that says they actually enjoy cold, damp, wet, gray weather day after day.
LOL. Yes, I do find it silly, very silly in fact, that anyone would enjoy the combination of 35 degree rain and gray dreary weather day after day months on end. I think you maybe fibbing a little here Cabot. What exactly do you do in the rain? Hide inside your house and never go outside? And how exactly are you "enjoying" that weather if you never do anything in it?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Nope. no fibbing. I have all the rain-wear you can imagine and take my dogs for walks rain or shine. It's rarely stopped me horse riding either unless it's a huge thunderstorm then it's a safety issue. You dress for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston