Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM

39 posts, read 107,421 times

Advertisements

Hello! I need lots of advice and I'll try to sum it up! I've been living in Phoenix for 3 years now and I cant stand it here but I stayed to finish nursing school! I miss the south, the down to earth people, the rain and believe it or not, the humidity! This dry heat ages you!! Phoenix has not been a great place to be single either. I can only assume its b/c many of us that live here are transplants from out of state and it creates a strange mix of people. I am 33 now and moved away from Austin when I was 28 after living there for 10 years. I loved Austin and still do but after graduating from UT and living there all of my college years I still associate Austin as a college town and the whole liberal, "keep austin weird vibe" just doesnt appeal to me anymore So, I am ready to start over as soon as I sell my place here which is taking FOREVER!!! I am not a Dallas fan b/c it holds alot of the same elements as Phoenix. So after visiting Houston several times I decided it would be a good option. It seems as though everyone I know questions why I would ever want to live in Houston and honestly it is starting to make me question. I guess my original thought was that houston has the best of both worlds in that if you want the city thing you're there, if you want the country feel its right outside the city, lots of opportunity for nurses (which isnt saying much since they are needed just about everywhere) and possibly more down to earth people and good social outlets? Am I way off here..... Is it really just another big sprawled out city like Phoenix where I will find it equally as difficult to meet people just b/c of its shear size? Another note is that I am a runner and love to be active and I am counting on places like memorial park and hopefully running groups with singles my age to be outdoors. Once again- is Houston so far from an outdoorsy type city that I'm really just relocating from one concrete jungle to the next??? PLEASE offer me any and all advice!! Thank you all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
No place on Earth can be worse than Phoenix. Phoenix is just a cesspool, truly a wasteland. Now, Houston is a good city, but as you know, it is not the prettiest place on Earth, but Houston feels much more like a real city. I would not hesitate to leave Phoenix for Houston.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 PM

64 posts, read 413,413 times
People told me I was crazy for moving from Las Vegas to Houston 3 years ago. Everyone in Las Vegas had a negitive opinion of Houston. I've found that I like it here, but it took some getting used to after living in Nevada my entire life. I'm single also, and 39, and have met more women here in Houston in the first year than I had in Vegas in 10 years. I know Vegas and Phoenix are very simular in ways, so I would say go for it, as long as you've done your homework on it.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM

111 posts, read 238,137 times
Well, if you don't like a big sprawly city - you are not likely to care for Houston either. Houston of course has lots of trees that Phoenix doesn't have - so I think it's prettier, but it's bigger and more sprawled out than Phoenix. Traffic in Houston is worse from what I've seen (never lived in Phoenix, but been there on business a lot). Probably a little more to do in and around Houston than Phoenix - but both are big metropolitan areas, so will share a lot of similarities. I have found the people in both places to be very friendly.

Since you like humidity though, Houston might be the place for you. Certainly has plenty of that!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM

39 posts, read 107,421 times
AHHHH!! I 100% agree on both accounts, just returned from Vegas and it felt like one step away from Scottsdale. Everything is such a scene! My friends joined me from Austin and they kept saying "are people really this shallow?" I just laughed because thats a typical night out on the town here in Phoenix. I know after living in several cities including LA and san diego, you can find people like that everywhere but for some reason, this city reeks of it! That is very reassuring that Houston feels like a real city and even more so that it might be easier to meet nice, good people! Keep the advice coming, I'm anxious to hear about more experiences.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
I really don't like Phoenix, Las Vegas itself, and Palm Springs. Palm Springs is the hottest of them all but Phoenix is still much worse than Vegas. The last time I was in Vegas, my skin started to crack and bleed and I couldn't hear as far due to the high altitude. I really wanted to go to L.A. because I really needed any humidity and the weather is much better! Lotion didn't help because I didn't notice it was so dry last time. I really liked the dry environment last time but after last years' experience I don't like it anymore.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 AM

58 posts, read 263,996 times
We moved from Denver to Houston two months ago and also everybody questioned our decision. So far we love the place, the people, the weather, everything. we are currently living in the Woodlands and just bought a house in Magnolia (moving soon).

Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1967 View Post
People told me I was crazy for moving from Las Vegas to Houston 3 years ago. Everyone in Las Vegas had a negitive opinion of Houston. I've found that I like it here, but it took some getting used to after living in Nevada my entire life. I'm single also, and 39, and have met more women here in Houston in the first year than I had in Vegas in 10 years. I know Vegas and Phoenix are very simular in ways, so I would say go for it, as long as you've done your homework on it.

Good Luck!
Lol. How dare anyone from Vegas have a negative opinion about Houston? Please.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Good one mpope. Now y'all know any place in Texas is better than anyplace else. taaple, I like Houston but if you want to give Dallas another chance try East Dallas/Lakewood - it's the laid back part of Dallas where people are friendly and unpretentious (although some are very wealthy). Baylor Medical Center is there - but it's also convenient to other major hospitals. North Oak Cliff (Methodist Hospital) also might be to your liking.

Yep Palm Springs, Phoenix and Vegas can be too hot for this Texas boy. So can Miami but that's a different kind of heat, right?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Just becareful where you move in Houston. Just like any big city it has good and bad areas.... And I see you just finished nursing school, if your are an RN you will have no problem getting a good job here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston