U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: KATY, TX
243 posts, read 751,325 times
Reputation: 197

Advertisements

We are getting our home ready to sell. Realtor said to put in new tile and carpet in the bedrooms. I only want minimum builder grade. Where can I get the best deal on a neutral carpet and pad for:

610 sq ft. 12x12 or little larger tile
650 sq ft. of carpet and pad

9 6 panel doors
1 exterior rear door (32")
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Tricity
48,242 posts, read 69,224,319 times
Reputation: 110279
I would leave this options for future buyers. Such a waste of money - if it's so cheap, they would most likely want to remove it ASAP.

This what YOU wrote in one of the posts a while ago:

"If anyone needs an honest tradesman, let me know. I know plumbers, hvac, floor installers, painters, irrigation people, mechanics, whatever it is you might need. we don't stay in business being dishonest. honesty is the only way to go if you are gonna succeed."

How come that now you need all those info and help? Are those people not willing to help you? Don't you know the best places and prices?

//www.city-data.com/forum/27762574-post2.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/24852339-post5.html

You need a good carpet installer too?? What happen with all those great and honest people, "notorious for outstanding work" you "knew" and recommended in your posts?
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 01-15-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
1,503 posts, read 3,091,693 times
Reputation: 1492
Default I've got what you need

I have to get a lot of homes made ready to rent and or sell. I use a guy named Primo. he does the lowest priced carpet, tile, paint, repairs etc of anyone I've ever seen. Sometimes I feel so bad for what he is charging that I buy his lunch and even give him gas money on the days that he works.

For example I had to REPLACE ALL OF THE CARPET! in A 1700 sq ft house, paint the entire house, replace broken doors, put tile in the entry, kitchen AND bathroom plus clean the house and yard, haul off trash that the previous owner left behind ( it was a foreclosure) and install a stove ( I bought off of craigslist $150) and dishwasher (same $50). The entire cost for all of this was $1700. Usually it costs about $100 per room for carpet including material and $150 for tile. We get carpet scraps from the prople who just bought their home and remove the carpet to install hardwood or tile. we get it for free.

He stays very busy and I really shouldn't even be offering him up because I have 2 houses that I need done right now but maybe he can make time for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM
 
Location: KATY, TX
243 posts, read 751,325 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would leave this options for future buyers. Such a waste of money - if it's so cheap, they would most likely want to remove it ASAP.

This what YOU wrote in one of the posts a while ago:

"If anyone needs an honest tradesman, let me know. I know plumbers, hvac, floor installers, painters, irrigation people, mechanics, whatever it is you might need. we don't stay in business being dishonest. honesty is the only way to go if you are gonna succeed."

How come that now you need all those info and help? Are those people not willing to help you? Don't you know the best places and prices?

//www.city-data.com/forum/27762574-post2.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/24852339-post5.html

You need a good carpet installer too?? What happen with all those great and honest people, "notorious for outstanding work" you "knew" and recommended in your posts?
they are helping me, thank you for asking. i have a flooring guy, a painter, a cabinet guy, etc. i am not just using my guys alone as we are trying to move quickly with the repairs. if i can get more folks in here, i can get things done faster.

have you any knowlege of real estate??? if i sink a measly 5k into my home, the value increases by 30k. its a no brainer, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by carryyourbooks; 01-16-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
 
2,480 posts, read 6,524,570 times
Reputation: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
they are helping me, thank you for asking. i have a flooring guy, a painter, a cabinet guy, etc. i am not just using my guys alone as we are trying to move quickly with the repairs. if i can get more folks in here, i can get things done faster.

have you any knowlege of real estate??? if i sink a measly 5k into my home, the value increases by 30k. its a no brainer, wouldn't you say?
Sorry dude, but do YOU know anything about real estate? Putting 5k worth of "builder grade" mediocrity into a home will NOT increase the value by 30K!! That's dream/tv world - not reality.

If your house shows VERY badly, then replace that stuff with builder grade quality and maybe get your money back - just to make the house show better.

Otherwise, save that money, hire a flooring company to professionally clean your floors, and hire a stager to make your house look good. You can put an allotment towards that stuff in the final sale of the house, if the seller asks. This allows the new buyers to pick what they want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
 
5,926 posts, read 13,986,494 times
Reputation: 6511
Default Use it to your advantage

I'd use it as a barganing tool. For example, recently I was going to sell a home I had and the AC was old and I knew the new owner would probably want it replaced. Instead of putting in a new system, I used the situatlion as a bargaining tool. I got quotes for the system and added the cost to my selling price.

As expected, the owner wanted a huge reduction in price. This is how the game is played, I don't see anything wrong with it. So I said 'okay, get me a quote and we'll discuss'. Again, as expected, they came in with a bid for 15K! I already got a very good bid for a new compressor and coil, the furnace and the rest was in good condition, only $3800.00! I then made a "deal" and said I would instead buy them an AC system, but left the price alone. They accepted, and it was money I was going to spend anyway, just as you want to do with your carpet/doors.

Most people make changes to the floors anyway, so as Nina said, it surely is a waste of money. Use the situation to your advantage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: KATY, TX
243 posts, read 751,325 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Sorry dude, but do YOU know anything about real estate? Putting 5k worth of "builder grade" mediocrity into a home will NOT increase the value by 30K!! That's dream/tv world - not reality.

If your house shows VERY badly, then replace that stuff with builder grade quality and maybe get your money back - just to make the house show better.

Otherwise, save that money, hire a flooring company to professionally clean your floors, and hire a stager to make your house look good. You can put an allotment towards that stuff in the final sale of the house, if the seller asks. This allows the new buyers to pick what they want.
i don't, but my realtor does. the builder grade is a bad term to use. i meant neutral. my bad. i misspoke. my realtor told me what needed to be done. in the neighborhood i live in, granite and wood floors would not pay for themselves. i'm in a lower class neighborhood.

my house is one of those that is borderline investment property now and needs a good flip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM
 
Location: KATY, TX
243 posts, read 751,325 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I'd use it as a barganing tool. For example, recently I was going to sell a home I had and the AC was old and I knew the new owner would probably want it replaced. Instead of putting in a new system, I used the situatlion as a bargaining tool. I got quotes for the system and added the cost to my selling price.

As expected, the owner wanted a huge reduction in price. This is how the game is played, I don't see anything wrong with it. So I said 'okay, get me a quote and we'll discuss'. Again, as expected, they came in with a bid for 15K! I already got a very good bid for a new compressor and coil, the furnace and the rest was in good condition, only $3800.00! I then made a "deal" and said I would instead buy them an AC system, but left the price alone. They accepted, and it was money I was going to spend anyway, just as you want to do with your carpet/doors.

Most people make changes to the floors anyway, so as Nina said, it surely is a waste of money. Use the situation to your advantage.
my home is an older home (1981). the carpet is hunter green. it has to go! i'm changing all the doors to 6 panel doors. i'm ripping all the carpet (minus bedrooms) and tile from the kitchen and putting a nice tan 12 x 12 tile in. the current tile is a 9 x 9 plain white tile. the cabinets are prefab and an ugly powder blue. the doors are particle wood. we are replacing with china birch and painting them white. its too bad that we have to paint them white. it would be better to stain them, but the other cabinets would have to be replaced to do that and get rid of that powder blue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,880 times
Reputation: 10
Smile need help - Primo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I have to get a lot of homes made ready to rent and or sell. I use a guy named Primo. he does the lowest priced carpet, tile, paint, repairs etc of anyone I've ever seen. Sometimes I feel so bad for what he is charging that I buy his lunch and even give him gas money on the days that he works.

For example I had to REPLACE ALL OF THE CARPET! in A 1700 sq ft house, paint the entire house, replace broken doors, put tile in the entry, kitchen AND bathroom plus clean the house and yard, haul off trash that the previous owner left behind ( it was a foreclosure) and install a stove ( I bought off of craigslist $150) and dishwasher (same $50). The entire cost for all of this was $1700. Usually it costs about $100 per room for carpet including material and $150 for tile. We get carpet scraps from the prople who just bought their home and remove the carpet to install hardwood or tile. we get it for free.

He stays very busy and I really shouldn't even be offering him up because I have 2 houses that I need done right now but maybe he can make time for you.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Hi, can you please forward me contact info of Primo. I need to fix my home in Katy. Thanks, Qasim
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:56 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,645 times
Reputation: 10
Default Primo contact info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I have to get a lot of homes made ready to rent and or sell. I use a guy named Primo. he does the lowest priced carpet, tile, paint, repairs etc of anyone I've ever seen. Sometimes I feel so bad for what he is charging that I buy his lunch and even give him gas money on the days that he works.

For example I had to REPLACE ALL OF THE CARPET! in A 1700 sq ft house, paint the entire house, replace broken doors, put tile in the entry, kitchen AND bathroom plus clean the house and yard, haul off trash that the previous owner left behind ( it was a foreclosure) and install a stove ( I bought off of craigslist $150) and dishwasher (same $50). The entire cost for all of this was $1700. Usually it costs about $100 per room for carpet including material and $150 for tile. We get carpet scraps from the prople who just bought their home and remove the carpet to install hardwood or tile. we get it for free.

He stays very busy and I really shouldn't even be offering him up because I have 2 houses that I need done right now but maybe he can make time for you.
Hi jd433, I noticed this post and was wondering if you would be willing to share with me Primo's contact info if you still recommend him. I appreciate your feedback here. I need some tile work done and looking for someone who can do good work for a very reasonable price. My wife and I have 8 kids and we need to be careful of budget.

Thanks in advance and God bless
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top