Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times

Advertisements

Are you kidding?? For a city its size, Houston has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation and the world for a city its size. As long as you don't hang out in any area with "ward" in its name or any area near Greenspoint or the the southside, you will be fine.

Of course, you will be fine anywhere in Houston as long as you don't act like you are some big bad a** who is trying to take over the city.

As long as you are cool, people in H-town will treat you the same!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
May go down on some statistical reports but for those who live here - I don't think anyone feels that way - we all know its bad.

Sorry, I gotta disagree with you there bud. I came down from Chicago where the city is basically under lockdown. The murder rates are exploding and there is talk of even creating martial law there. That is non existent in Houston. I hate to use the race card and seldom if ever use it, but I think many of you look around and see people of darker color and get nervous. I'm dead serious. Because there are absolutely no stats to back up your claim. What there is though is many people of darker color and complexion moving into more middle class areas and white people thinking, uh oh, I don't feel safe.

What some of you should do when your bored sometime, watch WGN news on cable. They start off every newscast with a blood bath of murder. Then watch your local Houston news where they talk about traffic, or the cold weather or some break in. It's night and day. Just do it and come back here and report what you find.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM

101 posts, read 128,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
May go down on some statistical reports but for those who live here - I don't think anyone feels that way - we all know its bad.
Agreed. We all know It is bad.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Sorry, I gotta disagree with you there bud. I came down from Chicago where the city is basically under lockdown. The murder rates are exploding and there is talk of even creating martial law there. That is non existent in Houston. I hate to use the race card and seldom if ever use it, but I think many of you look around and see people of darker color and get nervous. I'm dead serious. Because there are absolutely no stats to back up your claim. What there is though is many people of darker color and complexion moving into more middle class areas and white people thinking, uh oh, I don't feel safe.

What some of you should do when your bored sometime, watch WGN news on cable. They start off every newscast with a blood bath of murder. Then watch your local Houston news where they talk about traffic, or the cold weather or some break in. It's night and day. Just do it and come back here and report what you find.
Exactly people praise Chicago so much on here and Houston has nothing and I mean nothing on Chicago's crime rate. Crime happens in every city but I don't ever see crime is something I encounter directly on a daily basis here in Houston at all. Some of yall sound like a bunch of sheltered Mormon. LOL

Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,391 times
I agree that a lot of these people sound scared and sheltered. This is Houston, not Mogadishu...CEOs can walk about town freely and not be robbed....seriously, some people are so incredibly ignorant and sheltered.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Exactly people praise Chicago so much on here and Houston has nothing and I mean nothing on Chicago's crime rate. Crime happens in every city but I don't ever see crime is something I encounter directly on a daily basis here in Houston at all. Some of yall sound like a bunch of sheltered Mormon. LOL
The big difference between crime in Chicago and Houston is that in Chicago, there are localized hot spots while in Houston, it seems to be everywhere.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM

101 posts, read 128,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
the big difference between crime in chicago and houston is that in chicago, there are localized hot spots while in houston, it seems to be everywhere.
agreed.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
agreed.
You can keep saying agreed all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

Houston has one of the lowest crime rates of any major city. Crime is not trending up, and we have no concerns about turning into crime town.

Quit saying it over and over like it's a fact. Go find some other topic to troll.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The big difference between crime in Chicago and Houston is that in Chicago, there are localized hot spots while in Houston, it seems to be everywhere.

Localized? Are you kidding me? Did you not see the flash mobs there last summer where there were shootings and muggings all over North Ave Beach and the Magnificent mile? In fact it was so bad, the crime was actually making national news. Now tell me please, when was the last time that any crime in Houston was making the national news? In Chicago, it was almost every night. Localized, what a riot. No pun intended.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Localized? Are you kidding me? Did you not see the flash mobs there last summer where there were shootings and muggings all over North Ave Beach and the Magnificent mile? In fact it was so bad, the crime was actually making national news. Now tell me please, when was the last time that any crime in Houston was making the national news? In Chicago, it was almost every night. Localized, what a riot. No pun intended.
When was the last time anyone gave a crap about Houston enough for anything here to make national news?

I think that has more to do with it than anything.

That, and the president's hometown is Chicago (red meat for Fox news and conservative sites).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: