Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

What the hell does national news have to do with anything of meaning in my life...Nada.

Follow the money.. crimes goes to where the money is...So liberals want to do a with guns not criminals.

When California is great wakes up and recognizes people are moving out of the liberal state because it is not great for most... they might have a chance but I doubt it...I am not bailing out those big spenders

Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
What the hell does national news have to do with anything of meaning in my life...Nada.

Follow the money.. crimes goes to where the money is...So liberals want to do a with guns not criminals.

When California is great wakes up and recognizes people are moving out of the liberal state because it is not great for most... they might have a chance but I doubt it...I am not bailing out those big spenders
California doesn't need us.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
California doesn't need us.
We dont need Ca either,

Its biggest impact on Texans is going to be to bail them out as their gov fails and those paying taxes move out as they have been for a long time

Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
again... because Texas is doing so well?

we got the dumbest kids in the nation outside of Alabama, bottom of the barrel in healthcare, most uninsured (expensive), one of the largest income inequalities in the nation, one of the largest childhood poverty rates in the country, and our government wants to cut higher education, public education, and healthcare budgets even more than they did last cycle.

john - no one outside of Texas is thinking Texas is all that hot of a place. certainly not most people in CA

Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
And why are you still in Texas mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post

we got the dumbest kids in the nation outside of Alabama, bottom of the barrel in healthcare, most uninsured (expensive), one of the largest income inequalities in the nation, one of the largest childhood poverty rates in the country, and our government wants to cut higher education, public education, and healthcare budgets even more than they did last cycle.

john - no one outside of Texas is thinking Texas is all that hot of a place. certainly not most people in CA

Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
We dont need Ca either,

Its biggest impact on Texans is going to be to bail them out as their gov fails and those paying taxes move out as they have been for a long time
We need some CA ideas, though.

I've taught/been in education a long time now. I could write a book about the kids who come from California two grades ahead because schools here are so much easier.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post

Who cares what those out side of Texas think about it...we arent trying to earn their respect we are trying to beat them out of the good jobs.

Why are so many moving here if its so bad? Could it be worse elsewhere... Im sure CA is a great place to live if you make a huge salary and value climate over a place to live or ability to provide for your family as you want.

Most stats are not comparable between states because of the huge differences in cost of living and cost of things....so spending x on education in say Ca might be higher than Tx but not by enough to actually deliver better education due to higher teacher salaries etc...not to mention whose study proves higher education spending means better education? The beauty of having 50 states is each can do things there own way and determine their future....growth or stagnation etc. It gives people real choices..

I am not saying Tx is the best at everything but good jobs, an affordable lifestyle and access to good health care matter to me and I have those things in Tx...and can afford them more easily than if I lived in some other states. I have lived in other states and live here by choice for value, family and a love of Texas

Last edited by Johnhw2; 01-19-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Who cares what those out side of Texas think about it...we arent trying to earn their respect we are trying to beat them out of the good jobs.
That may be true and you may be correct, but the way I look at it is whenever we bust, newcomers get out of Texas ASAP.

If Texas is so wonderful, people would stay despite the oil running dry.

Now, I'm seeing this in Houston where there seems to be a much greater effort to diversify and beautify compared to the 80's. I think our city can withstand it.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
That may be true and you may be correct, but the way I look at it is whenever we bust, newcomers get out of Texas ASAP.

If Texas is so wonderful, people would stay despite the oil running dry.

Now, I'm seeing this in Houston where there seems to be a much greater effort to diversify and beautify compared to the 80's. I think our city can withstand it.
Speak for yourself... I lived through a few busts without running to some other place...

Guess what was built in those dreaded 80's during the bust... the ballet, opera complex....wortham I believe it is called... just one example....Im not sure what you see being done now so important for your taste. Is it trains and mass transit..which some seem to love

Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
The big difference between crime in Chicago and Houston is that in Chicago, there are localized hot spots while in Houston, it seems to be everywhere.
That's bs and I need you to stop spreading it it's sickening. You're more likely to get shot up in Chicago then you are in Houston. And I'm not just talking about Southside Chicago where most of the crime is. Even being that Chicago is more segregated then Houston, Chicago is still a rougher city then Houston is. And anybody who denies it is lying to themselves. I've never experience crime directly since I've been in Houston. People with common sense no which areas not to go to and at certain areas at night. I literally walked the streets at night in some parts of 3rd Ward and Southwest and not a bullet was aimed at me nor did I encounter a stick up kid. Crime is not everywhere in Houston and I don't understand what you have to gain when you make outrageous statements like that. Get out you're shell and stop being scared of your own shadow. Where are you from? Utah? Nebraska? They don't call Chi-town Chi-raq for nothing right now. Chiraq btw is a nickname categorizing how wild Chicago is right now to compare it to Iraq. And no it's not the whole city but you are quicker to run into trouble up there then you are here.

As far as national media not paying attention to Houston, clearly that hasn't stop Houston for becoming the fast growing city in America. So spew some more bs for the naive people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: