Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times

Advertisements

Regardless of color or race, buying in a neighborhood that is full of natives, we even are getting third generation buyers now, is going to be hard. Grandparents, parents and kids have known each other since birth, gone to the same schools, colleges, vacationed together for decades, and live within blocks of their childhood homes and parents. It's like a small town, everyone knows everyone and just about everything about them. It would be hard anywhere in the world to break into such areas, much less Houston, Texas.

Moving into a true burb, it will be full of transplants open and eager to make friends and create a life.

Ps- we often joke that when people coldly acknowledge you, their "friend card must be full"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM

70 posts, read 230,708 times
I am a first-gen immigrant ,non-White, in 77079 and East of Wilcrest. This is my experience in the neighborhood. The majority here are families that have been here for a long time, upper-middle class and retirees and they are generally White. Having said that there are a lot of Asian families and the new people moving in are diverse and generally young upper-middle class families with kids. I have had neighbors help us out when my wife was pregnant, attempt to talk to my parents when they visit and have been mostly very pleasant. There are a few bad apples but I wouldn't attribute that to race. I don't know how things are going to be when my kids start school in a year or so but we will cross that bridge when we get there. As of now, our plans are to stay here as long as we are in Houston. On the negative side, I had a friend of mine move away from here about 5 years ago since everyone at any sports events or social gatherings assumed that she was the nanny :-)

Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM

164 posts, read 356,927 times
Hmm, I think what you describe can happen anywhere, really. I think a lot of that depends on factors you can't control.

For what it's worth, my family and I lived together in Kingwood until we gradually left to move back into the Loop (although my aunt still lives in Kingwood). We are Asian. However, for a suburb that's known for being pretty white, we were pleasantly surprised to find diversity in our neighbors.

I live in a predominantly working class neighborhood, and although my neighbors haven't really acknowledged my existence, I'm okay with that. I wave to whomever I see walking by and try to say hello when the opportunity is there. Regardless, I am happy with my house and where I live.

That being said... I found that people were more welcoming and inviting when I lived in Kingwood. My mom made friends with the neighbors, and we watched out for each other. However, she has had success with making friends with her next door neighboors in Shady Acres, even though she works. She's had neighbors over for dinner, has been invited herself, and they give each other small Christmas presents of baked goods, etc.

I think key to what you're looking for is a neighborhood with an active civic club. I read civic club newsletters (well, I did when I was looking for a house!) to get a better feel for the community. If your civic club has activities like exercise classes, I'm sure that you will probably make friends there.

Also... I wouldn't limit yourself to your neighborhood in terms of friendships and such because some neighbors just don't want to be friends vs. acquaintances (not that I'm saying you're doing, but you know). Houston has a lot of great events throughout the city, but unfortunately, most don't seem to be advertised particularly well. I try to read various blogs and online sites for events that are going on in the city. Anyway, I think you'd also be able to find what you're looking for at those kind of events, too. Might not be in your backyard, but who knows - they might be!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Yeah, I thought I would get a reply like this. Let me clarify. I am an educated (Ph.D in science field), Asian who decided to be a stay at home mom. Due to my husbands' job, we have lived across the US, Shanghai, and London. In all these numerous moves, I have experienced a common phenomenom: in those neighborhoods that we haved lived in that were mainly white (whether native or transplants) I struggled to find any sense of community beyond the polite, distant acknowlegment every now and then. Dinner invitations were rarely reciprocated, plates of home-baked Christmas cookies cooly accepted, and efforts to make eye contact while out in the neighborhood in order to say "hi!" rarely returned.

I love to bike, hike, garden, read (tried joining neighborhood book clubs to no avail), travel, visit museums, am curious about others' life experiences and different cultures, moderate/independent politically. I believe that all these traits should lend itself to being a good neighbor and having some success in making new friends in these neighborhood, but this was not the case. In areas I lived that contained a higher proportion of minorities I had no such problem. Made long-standing friend from people from all over the world of many ethnicities: Afghan, Persians, Greek, Bulgarians, Mexicans, Indians, Chinese, Morroccan, Thais...

Although I would love to live in the 77079 area, with it's mature leafy neighborhoods, parks, and access to those amenities that would enhance my lifestyle, I am hesistant to put down so much money (we were looking at $750,000-900,000 homes) if I find myself in a neighborhood where I will have difficulty in forming a sense of community with my neighbors, playmates for my kids, and just new friends in general.

So I ask this question not to "be with my own" or in order to stay away from "white people" (my husband is a Yankee of English extraction), but to ensure that I will find a welcoming neighborhood community regardless of my skin color.
Houston is odd. It's pretty diverse yet divided at the same time. Pretty much anywhere you'll be fine. The only minorities that make neighbors raise an eyebrow sometimes are blacks and any kind of Hispanic. Asians don't give off a "cause trouble" and give off a heavy money vibe depending on the areas. Asians and Southeast Asian/Middle Eastern.

I really don't think upper/middle, educated Lexus driving, Memorial style white people really mind you guys moving in next door. Seriously.

I don't know if they live nearby but I'm in the Memorial area here and there and I see a crap load of Acura SUVs. LOTS and 8/10 there's an Asian lady driving. You won't stick out like a sore thumb. If I see 1 more MDX I'm gonna start a drinking game.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Hi Mingna, if I were you I would avoid the entire Memorial area, east or west. You will not find what you seek there, plus the commute is a killer. I am another PhD scientist SAHM and, frankly, Memorial is too 'white' for my taste - and I myself am white. Another thing, the schools there are good but, IMO, they should be crazy off the charts good with the concentration of wealth and attendant level of mommy involvement and test prep. But they're not... so what does that tell you?

Really there is nothing closer that appeals to you? Heck, Pearland would be a better choice than Memorial. ;-)

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Hi Mingna, if I were you I would avoid the entire Memorial area, east or west. You will not find what you seek there, plus the commute is a killer. I am another PhD scientist SAHM and, frankly, Memorial is too 'white' for my taste - and I myself am white. Another thing, the schools there are good but, IMO, they should be crazy off the charts good with the concentration of wealth and attendant level of mommy involvement and test prep. But they're not... so what does that tell you?

Really there is nothing closer that appeals to you? Heck, Pearland would be a better choice than Memorial. ;-)
OT but I find the stay at home mom PhD...interesting. I can't imagine. I'd never have kids after busting my ass on a PhD and in the science field masters...maybe. Ph.D no way. A dissertation alone keeps me from that.

Back on point, you make a really good point though on Memorial schools. They are "good" but not stellar. With the amount of rich or wannabe rich, stay at home, super involved, play dates, baby Einstein from conception type of parents they SBISD be giving Kincaid, St John, etc a deep run for their money.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM

A LOT of Memorial does send their kids to top privates. About 75% of the teens in my neighborhood go to top privates. Apartments becoming congested with families,and out of district admissions,has sent the uber whites to private.

Ps-rich executive whites can spawn B students, and were in fact probably B students as well. You can be a millionaire without a 5.2 GPA.Shocker I know. In fact most highly successful people I know probably pulled 3.0's. People skills are infinitely more important.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-18-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ps-rich execuive whites can spawn B students, and were in fact probably B students as well. You can be a millionaire without a 5.2 GPA.Shocker I know.
Not really- $1M ain't all that much nowadays.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Not really- $1M ain't all that much nowadays.
So true...but it applies to all the categories of the 1%

Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
A LOT of Memorial does send their kids to top privates. About 75% of the teens in my neighborhood go to top privates. Apartments becoming congested with families,and out of district admissions,has sent the uber whites to private.

Ps-rich executive whites can spawn B students, and were in fact probably B students as well. You can be a millionaire without a 5.2 GPA.Shocker I know. In fact most highly successful people I know probably pulled 3.0's. People skills are infinitely more important.
LOL 5.2 GPA. It's ridiculous now. I swear it's going to be 7.0 sooner rather than later. The advanced classes progress to college level then graduate level before you know it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston