Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM

225 posts, read 462,433 times

Advertisements

Going anywhere new without employment lined up is a dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 775 times
I moved to Texas 30 years ago, landing in Houston. First I flew here for job interviews and to check out the are; got a job and moved with my daughter. It is definitely friendlier in Texas than any of the New England states. People say hi just to say it. My dad traveled all over this country and said the people in the south and western/south western states take you at face value - if you want to be accepted, be true to who you are. Phonies can be spotted a mile away in a fog.

That said my daughter and I loved the wide open-ness of Texas and spent a lot of time going to activities and driving all over the state. She eventually moved to Colorado but I'm still here - did move to Florida and lasted 13 mths (came back--nothing to do, lousy jobs), and tried Colorado for 4 yrs. (came back to TX - people were rude and cold to outsiders and I hate snow). Moved to several areas around Houston and now have been in the NW side for over ten years. It is for now country enough with city stuff not far away.

My first job was in the oil business in the early 1980s, then I went into legal secretarial work. Have been retired now for almost six years and feel I am able to survive on my meager income if I don't try to live like a king (queen). I feel the cost of living is lower than a lot of other states.

From my daughter's education I feel Texas schools are above average based on other states. My daughter learned about Texas history, some things I never knew growing up in the norther part of the country. Yes, Texans are proud of their state and don't take kindly to people bashing it. In an elevator once downtown Houston I heard someone complaining about Texas and another person replied, "then go home, we don't want you here."

Any questions?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 61,461 times
You like heat? Holy hell, you better...because it can be 90 degrees down here on Christmas day (and has been). We just moved here about 4 months ago and have experienced 30-degree weather to 100-degree weather in that time. We moved from Cincinnati on a strict budget, with no jobs and the only way we could do it was to stay with family until we (husband and I) were both working. It took my husband a month to find a job, it took me (22 years of experience in Admin work and a college degree) 3 months to find a job. That includes 15 interviews. So yes, as someone said upthread, Houston is NOT the employment mecca some people think it is.

The actual move - we got rid of a LOT of stuff we didn't need or could replace easily. What was left, we divided up into what we need right away (meaning, once we do get our own place) and non-urgent (Christmas decorations, pictures, photo albums, knick knacks, etc). We packed U-Haul's biggest trailer with the necessities and towed it with one of our SUV's; I drove the other one. Soon (within the next few months), we are driving BACK to Cincinnati to retrieve the other half of our belongings, which we put into storage, and are bringing those down in a trailer as well. To rent a U-Haul trailer one way from Cincinnati to Houston was about $500, but it varies WIDELY, depending on what city you're moving to and from and what the supply/demand for trailers is there. Much cheaper than renting a truck though, which would have cost us about $1200, and that doesn't include fuel.

Someone also mentioned deposits. Get ready to pay up, especially if you don't have good credit. You can choose your electricity provider here, from about 383,973 companies (lol) but unless you go prepaid (which is a *****), you will be required to pay a deposit of anywhere from $200-$1000 to begin service. I don't know about water and such because we rent, so we don't pay that.

Good luck if you choose to move down here. I really miss Cincinnati, but I don't miss the subzero weather, ice and snow.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 673 times
Default Harrisburg to San Antonio TX

Sorry to here about your SUV , I will be relocating to TX in March 2013 wish me luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful Aries View Post
You like heat? Holy hell, you better...because it can be 90 degrees down here on Christmas day (and has been). We just moved here about 4 months ago and have experienced 30-degree weather to 100-degree weather in that time. We moved from Cincinnati on a strict budget, with no jobs and the only way we could do it was to stay with family until we (husband and I) were both working. It took my husband a month to find a job, it took me (22 years of experience in Admin work and a college degree) 3 months to find a job. That includes 15 interviews. So yes, as someone said upthread, Houston is NOT the employment mecca some people think it is.

The actual move - we got rid of a LOT of stuff we didn't need or could replace easily. What was left, we divided up into what we need right away (meaning, once we do get our own place) and non-urgent (Christmas decorations, pictures, photo albums, knick knacks, etc). We packed U-Haul's biggest trailer with the necessities and towed it with one of our SUV's; I drove the other one. Soon (within the next few months), we are driving BACK to Cincinnati to retrieve the other half of our belongings, which we put into storage, and are bringing those down in a trailer as well. To rent a U-Haul trailer one way from Cincinnati to Houston was about $500, but it varies WIDELY, depending on what city you're moving to and from and what the supply/demand for trailers is there. Much cheaper than renting a truck though, which would have cost us about $1200, and that doesn't include fuel.

Someone also mentioned deposits. Get ready to pay up, especially if you don't have good credit. You can choose your electricity provider here, from about 383,973 companies (lol) but unless you go prepaid (which is a *****), you will be required to pay a deposit of anywhere from $200-$1000 to begin service. I don't know about water and such because we rent, so we don't pay that.

Good luck if you choose to move down here. I really miss Cincinnati, but I don't miss the subzero weather, ice and snow.

My family moved from Columbus, OH to Houston almost 9 yrs ago. We also still miss Ohio at times. Do not miss that snow though!

Good luck with your move, OP!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM

225 posts, read 462,433 times
I also moved from Columbus to Houston Texas, it lasted four years now my wife and I are back in the friendly confines of Grandview Heights and loving it. It doesn't snow that much in central Ohio and the beauty of the fall and spring out weigh the week of snow we get each year. Hope you guys enjoy Texas we had a good four years there. I would not change the decision we made to move to Houston and I most definitely would not change our decision to move back to Columbus. I truly believe that Columbus is the best city in the United States raise a family. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston