Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM

63 posts, read 117,706 times

Advertisements

We will be relocated for work in the energy industry with office in the energy corridor. I am not familiar with Houston but told it is near Terry Hersey Park. So where to begin? Have 3 boys - 1st grade, 4th grade and 6th grade. Schools and sense of community is very important to us. I have heard that Katy and Cy-Fair are good school districts. As for lifestyle we are not really into sports other than swimming for the boys, I love tennis and husband into biking. Ideally we would like to find a house in the 350-450 range but can go up to 550. All help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,945,416 times
West memorial (77079) is a great place to live, but you're going to be buying in you 450-550 range rather than below. Terrific neighborhoods, many with direct access to terry Hershey park. Katy also provides decent commuting to the energy corridor for much less cost (or more for your money). Welcome to Houston!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,109,565 times
You'll also find active neighborhood swim teams and access to miles of bike trails. Your DH will be able to bike to work:

West Houston Trails Master Plan - Energy Corridor District - Energy Corridor District

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,404,078 times
77079. Sbisd, great school district, neighborhood clubs, the park, and street full of kids playing. No reason to go to cypress or Katy unless you absolutely need a new McMansion for your money.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

63 posts, read 117,706 times
Excellent ... thanks for the help. We are actually coming from Evanston so would love a similar vibe and really want trees and greenspace. Bike Trail map looks awesome and commuting by bike a HUGE plus. Any specific schools or neighborhoods to target? We have an eye on 15738 Fleetwood but price seems too good to be true. Also - is a craftsman style home an unlikely dream in this area. Love the craftsman look. No mcmansions for us.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,945,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysandacat View Post
Excellent ... thanks for the help. We are actually coming from Evanston so would love a similar vibe and really want trees and greenspace. Bike Trail map looks awesome and commuting by bike a HUGE plus. Any specific schools or neighborhoods to target? We have an eye on 15738 Fleetwood but price seems too good to be true. Also - is a craftsman style home an unlikely dream in this area. Love the craftsman look. No mcmansions for us.
Keep in mind fleetwood is not tied into the trail system (for some reason) and the middle school and high school are not local (they're several miles west in Katy).

Also, the style of home in the spring branch section of the area (east of Eldridge) is considered "homes across America" mostly colonial, Greek revival, Victorian and regular and raised ranches.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM

You need to look east of Eldridge to hit the neighborhood school/trail system vibe. As said above things get a little awkward for school zoning west of Eldridge, combining bussing a good distance to KISD and HISD. This is why the Fleetwood house seems like a bargain. Nice Neighborhood, but not being in SBISD keeps the price down.

See what you can find in Nottingham Forest,Nottingham,Wilchester,Gaywood,Autumn Oaks, Rustling Oaks...to name a few. HAR.com is a great source, and in upper right it will show listings by map.

PS- homes in your price range sell exceedingly fast in the area, as in within a day or two ...or within hours of hitting the market. Get a good local agent be ready to go.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-28-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 PM

418 posts, read 738,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
PS- homes in your price range sell exceedingly fast in the area, as in within a day or two ...or within hours of hitting the market. Get a good local agent be ready to go.
True. I found two separate flyers on my door within the last month of individuals trying to get ahead of the game. They state how they are wanting to buy a house zoned to Wilchester Elementary and list their contact info.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
True. I found two separate flyers on my door within the last month of individuals trying to get ahead of the game. They state how they are wanting to buy a house zoned to Wilchester Elementary and list their contact info.
Yep, already had two the past couple weeks, but from those wanting large lots zoned to Stratford.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM

286 posts, read 552,913 times
If you want a newer home in that price range I'd buy in an MPC. There is Cinco Ranch, Firethorne, Cross Creek Ranch, Bridgeland and Aliana around the Energy Corridor.

City of Houston My City - Map Viewer (layer Houston ETJ limits)

I like Cross Creek Ranch since it's part of the city of Fulshear, fairly large at 3200 acreas
As far as schools go depends where you buy the home. Shools are all great in the area
Cross Creek Ranch | Great School Districts | High Ranking Student Test Scores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston