Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times

Advertisements

When I had my circular driveway done, they used a combination of rebar and mesh. The rebar was in (about) a 3' grid with mesh on top.

I put rebar in the concrete base for the ornamental light I installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 AM

31 posts, read 37,386 times
i bought a Perry in CCR built about the same time, plus Ive watched a dozen more go in on my street,
they all have rebar in the driveways...

Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Kay View Post
We're in Long Meadow Farms, 3 miles South on 99 from Westpark Toll. We have a Lennar Home, no rebar in the driveway. We just had a Pool put in. Had to replace 4 sections of the driveway, after it was cracked from the Bobcat. Could not believe it. I was told no home builder in this area, put rebar in the driveway.

I hope your pool installer gave you a discount.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,180 times
Rebar and/or mesh will NOT prevent a driveway from breaking. Its only purpose is to keep all the pieces together when it DOES break.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayford Sawdust View Post
Rebar and/or mesh will NOT prevent a driveway from breaking. Its only purpose is to keep all the pieces together when it DOES break.
Interesting, I did not know that. I had always assumed that it gave additional strength and support.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but are you able to back this up? (Either by a link to the information or by stating that you are an engineer that works with concrete structures)

Edit: Well, I decided to do some quick research, and apparently, you are wrong.

Every source I found stated that rebar in concrete does not add to its tensile strength; however, it does add to its compression strength preventing damage from crushing loads.

I found this in multiple sources, but the best place was probably on the American Concrete Institute's site in this document on page 3 - http://www.concrete.org/general/fE2-00.pdf

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 09-20-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 AM

31 posts, read 37,386 times
Quote:

Im sorry, you're incorrect.

its called "Reinforcing bar/steel" for a reason.

is it required in a driveway ?
not really, but it doesnt hurt.

here's some lighter reading...
Rebar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Quote:
We need a most uninformed post award as well. This would be waaaaaay up there.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,180 times
The wiki link and ACI pdf are interesting, but not really applicable to our residential driveways. Yes, rebar as used in structural concrete is a necessity and not in dispute.

I should have made myself more clear. A typical 4" thick driveway in Houston with the typical 1/2" rebar on 18" or even 12" centers is not made any stronger or will handle a heavier load with the addition of the rebar. Have ever seen 1/2" rebar being delivered on the back of a trailer going down the road? The stuff sags under its OWN weight....how is it going to bear a load? If you don't believe that, next time you see rebar being set in a driveway before pouring, step out onto it and walk around. It will sag some under your weight, even after being wired to cross bars and sitting on bar support chairs. It simply does not add any significant structural load bearing strength to Houston driveways. Yes, it would be possible to get enough rebar in the concrete to help, but in practical applications, it does not.

My original statement is especially true when the driveway has mesh and no rebar. There is NO load bearing ability in that product.

After all that and back to the original post, I would not want a driveway that didn't have rebar. It serves a purpose, but not the one most people believe.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM

292 posts, read 547,764 times
Quote:
The wiki link and ACI pdf are interesting, but not really applicable to our residential driveways. Yes, rebar as used in structural concrete is a necessity and not in dispute.

I should have made myself more clear. A typical 4" thick driveway in Houston with the typical 1/2" rebar on 18" or even 12" centers is not made any stronger or will handle a heavier load with the addition of the rebar. Have ever seen 1/2" rebar being delivered on the back of a trailer going down the road? The stuff sags under its OWN weight....how is it going to bear a load? If you don't believe that, next time you see rebar being set in a driveway before pouring, step out onto it and walk around. It will sag some under your weight, even after being wired to cross bars and sitting on bar support chairs. It simply does not add any significant structural load bearing strength to Houston driveways. Yes, it would be possible to get enough rebar in the concrete to help, but in practical applications, it does not.

My original statement is especially true when the driveway has mesh and no rebar. There is NO load bearing ability in that product.

After all that and back to the original post, I would not want a driveway that didn't have rebar. It serves a purpose, but not the one most people believe.
This is not true. The fact that rebar sags under its own weight does not mean it does not provide support / strength for the concrete. Concrete is very strong in compression strength. However, it is very weak when it comes to shear strength. This is where the rebar comes into play. The fact that rebar sags does not come into play. The reason for this is that once the rebar is encased in the concrete, the rebar is supported along its length by the concrete, However, when a force that is perpendicular to the concrete is applied (shear force), the force is transferred through the concrete to the rebar inside, where the rebar's strength against shear forces provide the strength against the shear force, preventing the concrete from breaking.. (For what its worth, I have a background in civil engineering)

Old 09-21-2013, 05:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,121 times
I think you're both sorta right? Maybe we're disagreeing on semantics here? Concrete has excellent compression strength. A truck driving over a driveway is adding compression strength, so "in theory", rebar is not needed assuming you have a very solid base underneath. Reinforced bars are useful for increasing tensile strenth and for keeping the driveway from warping/buckingling/becoming uneven at joints (flexion strenghth).
What I understand is the rebar is needed more because the base is not solid, the soil in Texas is mostly clay, it shifts and expands and contracts a lot. The rebar resists these shear and tensile forces. Also, if the base is not rock solid, a heavy truck on the driveway can become problematic bc now it will introduce flexural stress where the base gives. So you can either add more thickness to your concrete, use fiber reinforced concrete (not sure how much strength this adds), or use rebar. On the flip side, too many rebar rods can weaken the concrete.

Last edited by houstonfan; 09-21-2013 at 05:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: