Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM

10 posts, read 14,426 times

Advertisements

I have an autistic child who is currently attending a school in the KatyISD. My child has benefited so much from their program and I would like to keep them in the KatyISD district.

However, we just recently relocated from So. Katy to North Katy and to my surprise I am no longer in the Katy ISD but in the CyFair ISD. I am less than 2 minutes away from the nearest Katy ISD school much closer than the CyFair ISD school that my neighborhood is assigned to.

Is there a way that I can continue my child's education in the KatyISD because they're making so much progress. I assumed that if I lived in Katy that I would still be located in the KatyISD but now that I look at the district map some parts of Houston all the way to beltway 8 is included in the KatyISD but parts of Katy isn't? That's crazy.

Anyways, Does anyone have any information/thoughts on Cyfair ISD programs for Autistic children?

Also, are there any suggestion on how I can just keep my child in the KatyISD?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,675 times
District transfer info

District Transfer

A coworker's autistic child is in a CyFair ISD school and they have been happy with her education/progress.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM

I appreciate your input. I did read that information earlier this week and I went to the school that my child would be assigned to and inquired about programs that are available for children on the spectrum. However, it's day 2 since I visited the school and to my surprised no one has attempted to contact me back yet. Needless to say I am a bit annoyed, therefore, I will attempt to contact them tomorrow to obtain the information that I am seeking so that I can make an informed decision.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
Default Also have child an autism spectrum and may move to Katy

You mentioned you were very happy with the program your child was receiving. I was wondering if the school provides personal aides to special ed students when they're in the general classroom. Also, can you give me an idea of the class sizes. We may be moving to the area coming from out of state, and the town of Katy has caught my attention b/c it seems family friendly. We presently live in a small town and I would like to keep it that way. As you are well aware, picking up and moving is never easy with a special needs child. Where others just register their child in a new school when they move, we have tons of research we need to do to determine if our child will receive the best opportunities and assistance needed. My older son will be going to high school and I haven't even looked into it. I know he will be fine wherever he goes, but with my daughter it is a whole other ballgame. If we don't find an appropriate school for her in Katy, we just have to live somewhere else. We presently live 1 hour from my hubby's work simply b/c it is where we found an excellent school for my daughter. Any info you can give me about the special ed program will be a blessing. Thanks, Vivi

Old 10-17-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBcropper View Post
You mentioned you were very happy with the program your child was receiving. I was wondering if the school provides personal aides to special ed students when they're in the general classroom. Also, can you give me an idea of the class sizes. We may be moving to the area coming from out of state, and the town of Katy has caught my attention b/c it seems family friendly. We presently live in a small town and I would like to keep it that way. As you are well aware, picking up and moving is never easy with a special needs child. Where others just register their child in a new school when they move, we have tons of research we need to do to determine if our child will receive the best opportunities and assistance needed. My older son will be going to high school and I haven't even looked into it. I know he will be fine wherever he goes, but with my daughter it is a whole other ballgame. If we don't find an appropriate school for her in Katy, we just have to live somewhere else. We presently live 1 hour from my hubby's work simply b/c it is where we found an excellent school for my daughter. Any info you can give me about the special ed program will be a blessing. Thanks, Vivi
I am so sorry QBcropper! I didn't see this message until now, A WHOLE year + later! Well I don't know what you've decided but my verdict for Cyfair ISD is guilty for being awful. I truly miss KatyISD My son performed much better there. In Cyfair I have to beg for homework and he is falling further and further behind despite the private therapy that he receives after school. I am sick

Old 10-17-2014, 04:35 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,758,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_Katy View Post
I assumed that if I lived in Katy that I would still be located in the KatyISD but now that I look at the district map some parts of Houston all the way to beltway 8 is included in the KatyISD but parts of Katy isn't? That's crazy.
The problem is that you are not living in Katy, you're actually living in a portion of unincorporated Harris co. that's zoned to Cy-Fair ISD (I call it Cypress). Funny story... My wife's co-worker(Born and raised in Cypress) tells everyone that she lives in Katy, when in fact she lives in the Fairfield MPC lol. We tried telling her that's not Katy, but she throws down the "I've been living hear all of my life" card on us every time lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston