Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That we need a real newspaper in this town?
I rarely take up for the Chronicle, but here goes:

There are no real reporters anymore because entertainment took over news - and people accepted that. Flesh and blood reporters demand salaries. Considering that people would just as soon read about the Kardasians (that may not be spelled correctly, but I don't care enough to look it up) than what's really going on. People started to get their news from the web, which led to further cuts in reporters. It's not just the Chronicle, it's everywhere. Now even, on the web, the news has been reduced to a large percentage of trivial BS.

25% of Americans really want to know about real news. The rest want to hear about Honey BooBoo. Newspapers, tv, etc. gave them what they wanted.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 02-02-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Cheryjohns is right.

The paper had to get rid of lots of folks who had been there awhile. I know guys in their 50's who had to take early retirement.

When people think watching the tv news for 15 minutes or reading some blogger or Huffpo makes them informed, it's no wonder the country is having problems.

That house probably get 10,000 hits on their website. It is making enough money to keep the lights on. Newspapers all over the country are doing what they can to stay alive.

What blogger is going to go to every city council or school board meeting to let you know what's up? Had it not been for the Chronicle we would not have known that the Commissioner's Court was taking tollroad money to pay off stadium bonds, etc.

A couple of weeks ago they had a story about 20 innocent people who had been convicted of a crime and imprisoned. They do in depth stuff on the weekends.

It is still better than any tv news in Houston or national broadcast or cable tv news.

Well, maybe Bill Moyers. That's the only place we can get a straight tv news story.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The most despicable part? Probably only husband and wife and only one tax deduction............. oops sorry I mean child live there. All those empty rooms. For what? Bragging rights? When they die their mortal body from this temporary home will live in an 84 inches long by 28 inches wide, by 23 inch high wooden box having no bathroom facilities, no kitchen, no bedrooms. They will have quite a nice yard though. Unfortunately they are 6' under it.

Wow $4 million for that thing. Imagine the upkeep? The monthly electric bill is likely more then most of us make in a month. Just imagine for one second..................instead buying a $1 million home which is still very luxurious.........and helping out our fellow man. There are a whole lot of hungry and homeless people right here in Houston. Texas has more children going to bed hungry each night then every other state except Mississippi. How can those filthy rich people go to bed knowing this while they wallow in 10,000 SF.

I am not being jealous or hateful but wishful that those able would help others rather then wasting it on themselves for unnecessary junk.
I didn't think homes like that needed to be advertised like this. I thought the rich had like concierge real estate services and didn't need to scour the papers and stuff like regular people to find a house.

Statistically the rich do have less children. I've always found that interesting. The very rich who have the money to spend on lots and lots of kids have like 1 or 2 yet the ones who don't have two nickels that weren't mailed/posted on a gov't card or check have lots and lots. Funny how that works.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Newspapers around the nation are dead meat and it shows.

Ronnie

Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I didn't think homes like that needed to be advertised like this. I thought the rich had like concierge real estate services and didn't need to scour the papers and stuff like regular people to find a house.
The agent does it to advertise himself/herself. Same with those books you see at the grocery store.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Statistically the rich do have less children. I've always found that interesting. The very rich who have the money to spend on lots and lots of kids have like 1 or 2 yet the ones who don't have two nickels that weren't mailed/posted on a gov't card or check have lots and lots. Funny how that works.
Right...but sadly, really not funny at all.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
People started to get their news from the web, which led to further cuts in reporters. It's not just the Chronicle, it's everywhere. Now even, on the web, the news has been reduced to a large percentage of trivial BS.
Not true, that's just the BS they push to cover their mediocrity
Who's gonna believe that newspapers don't make money on the internet when webpages such as Facebook make millions every year in advertisement.

It also ignores the fact that the cost of running a newspaper is MUCH cheaper today.
Today I can text-message my mom in South America for $0.10 and tell her to connect to the internet so she can watch my kids' birthday live using skype..... again, all of that for less than $1.
Or I could just send her the video and pictures in a seconds in an email.
There was nothing like that 20 years ago.

Add to that, the money they save now that they don't have to print and distribute their papers

Last edited by Dopo; 02-03-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I rarely take up for the Chronicle, but here goes:

There are no real reporters anymore because entertainment took over news - and people accepted that. Flesh and blood reporters demand salaries. Considering that people would just as soon read about the Kardasians (that may not be spelled correctly, but I don't care enough to look it up) than what's really going on. People started to get their news from the web, which led to further cuts in reporters. It's not just the Chronicle, it's everywhere. Now even, on the web, the news has been reduced to a large percentage of trivial BS.

25% of Americans really want to know about real news. The rest want to hear about Honey BooBoo. Newspapers, tv, etc. gave them what they wanted.
Ha..........you are so right. Can I add something?

The news is 30 minutes long
No matter what crisis happens in the world, the news starts with the weather. Why?
Then comes 2 or 3 local stories.
Then 5 minutes of annoying irritating screaming commercials
Next all the news people will start laughing and telling stupid jokes, now you know it's time for the full abbreviated weather.
Back on with the weather again but always leaving a cliff hanger so you'll keep watching for the full forecast later
Back to 2 to 3 secondary stories
Another 5 full minutes of annoying irritating screaming commercials
Finally the full weather report, which of course is rarely accurate and a quick piece of sports
Another 5 full minutes of annoying irritating screaming commercials
Then comes on the final one story or so called amazing clip of the day lasting about 30 seconds
Back to more annoying irritating screaming commercials
Then at 27 minutes after the hour they come back on to say goodby and goodnight.
Then 3 more minutes of annoying irritating screaming commercials

If you time a half hour news you might find the grand total of actual news is about 12 minutes. All the rest is weather and annoying irritating screaming commercials.

It's kinda like........................................why bother?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not true, that's just the BS they push to cover their mediocrity
Who's gonna believe that newspapers don't make money on the internet when webpages such as Facebook make millions every year in advertisement.

It also ignores the fact that the cost of running a newspaper is MUCH cheaper today.
Today I can text-message my mom in South America for $0.10 and tell her to connect to the internet so she can watch my kids' birthday live using skype..... again, all of that for less than $1.
Or I could just send her the video and pictures in a seconds in an email.
There was nothing like that 20 years ago.

Add to that, the money they save now that they don't have to print and distribute their papers
It is true, reporters have been cut everywhere.

I worked there. They were relying heavily upon the Associated Press, etc. - very few real people.

Also, go back and read what crone wrote.

Yes, you can pay to view online - but people get their news from yahoo, and the like. The Chronicle's online subscription rate is going down.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The most despicable part? Probably only husband and wife and only one tax deduction............. oops sorry I mean child live there. All those empty rooms. For what? Bragging rights? When they die their mortal body from this temporary home will live in an 84 inches long by 28 inches wide, by 23 inch high wooden box having no bathroom facilities, no kitchen, no bedrooms. They will have quite a nice yard though. Unfortunately they are 6' under it.

Wow $4 million for that thing. Imagine the upkeep? The monthly electric bill is likely more then most of us make in a month. Just imagine for one second..................instead buying a $1 million home which is still very luxurious.........and helping out our fellow man. There are a whole lot of hungry and homeless people right here in Houston. Texas has more children going to bed hungry each night then every other state except Mississippi. How can those filthy rich people go to bed knowing this while they wallow in 10,000 SF.

I am not being jealous or hateful but wishful that those able would help others rather then wasting it on themselves for unnecessary junk.

you would hate me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston