Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 AM

114 posts, read 145,901 times

Advertisements

Quick doubt that is driving me nut

in terms of life quality, neighborhood and houses quality, what's the difference between the areas on the east and west sides of the Bush park?

I understand the west side is called Katy and it's supposed to be the best neighborhood in Houston
What about the east one, where the houses cost seems to be much lower?

Thanks

Paolo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloC View Post
Quick doubt that is driving me nut

in terms of life quality, neighborhood and houses quality, what's the difference between the areas on the east and west sides of the Bush park?

I understand the west side is called Katy and it's supposed to be the best neighborhood in Houston
What about the east one, where the houses cost seems to be much lower?

Thanks

Paolo
Its a school district thing. West of GBP is all one district, Katy ISD, which is very good, east is 4 different districts, Katy ISD (north of Buffalo Bayou, west of Eldridge; then Spring Branch, north of buffalo bayou, east of Eldridge; the Houston ISD, south of buffalo bayou, north of westheimer and finally Alief, south of westheimer. In order of desirability east of GWB its spring branch, Katy, Houston, Alief. Houses are very cheap in the Alief section because if this rep (also lots of apartments in the area).

Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Its a school district thing. West of GBP is all one district, Katy ISD, which is very good, east is 4 different districts, Katy ISD (north of Buffalo Bayou, west of Eldridge; then Spring Branch, north of buffalo bayou, east of Eldridge; the Houston ISD, south of buffalo bayou, north of westheimer and finally Alief, south of westheimer. In order of desirability east of GWB its spring branch, Katy, Houston, Alief. Houses are very cheap in the Alief section because if this rep (also lots of apartments in the area).
thanks!

with a budget of 125-150k and a minimum requirement of 3 bedrooms, where should I realistically focus my research?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
thanks!

with a budget of 125-150k and a minimum requirement of 3 bedrooms, where should I realistically focus my research?
If you want a yard and garage, look in 77077

Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
If you want a yard and garage, look in 77077
77070 (if I'm not wrong) it's too far away on the north for me, I'm looking for something somewhere between the Katy FWY and west park tollway

Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
77070 (if I'm not wrong) it's too far away on the north for me, I'm looking for something somewhere between the Katy FWY and west park tollway
77077, not 77070. Neighborhoods that might work include briar village, Stonehenge, ashford west, April village, ashford hills, ashford south.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 4,544 times
I live in the Alief area. We bought our home here in 1991. It was a great neighborhood then, with excellent schools. In fact, Alief ISD was a top school district for years. It was a nice, middle-class neighborhood, racially mixed, but about 90% white. HOWEVER--

The government decided to build a low-income Federal Housing Project on Alief-Clodine road. The first thing they did was build a Park-and-Ride lot, which extended METRO bus service out to Alief. Immediately, houses went up for sale everywhere. At one point there were five houses for sale simultaneously on my block. Next, they built a new middle school, right across the street from the housing project, and right next to the Park and Ride lot. As soon as they built the housing project, we immediately had burglaries, car thefts, armed robberies, etc. out the roof. The white population just left. Everybody sold their homes and departed for wherever--just not "here."

My daughter graduated from Elsik High School in 2001. There were less than 250 white students left in the school. Today, it's probably less than 100.

The government has managed to destroy my neighborhood in less than fifteen years. Home values are about 60% of what they were. Crime has skyrocketed. I should have left when everybody else did, but frankly I never believed it would get this bad. I did not associate "majority-minority" with serious neighborhood deterioration. I was wrong.

According to an assistant store manager, our local Kroger store was driven out of business by shoplifters and employee theft. The neighborhood has sprouted security bars overnight. We constantly battle graffiti on fences, subdivision walls, stores, freeway pillars, etc. We have a proliferation of "Llantas Usadas" used tire shops, junkyards and used car lots on Bellaire Blvd.

What I do not understand is why. What possible good can it have served to ruin a perfectly good neighborhood? Why would the government do this to us?

Last edited by Low Profile; 02-04-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM

833 posts, read 1,884,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
I live in the Alief area. We bought our home here in 1991. It was a great neighborhood then, with excellent schools. In fact, Alief ISD was a top school district for years. It was a nice, middle-class neighborhood, racially mixed, but about 90% white. HOWEVER--

The government decided to build a low-income Federal Housing Project on Alief-Clodine road. The first thing they did was build a Park-and-Ride lot, which extended METRO bus service out to Alief. Immediately, houses went up for sale everywhere. At one point there were five houses for sale simultaneously on my block. Next, they built a new middle school, right across the street from the housing project, and right next to the Park and Ride lot. As soon as they built the housing project, we immediately had burglaries, car thefts, armed robberies, etc. out the roof. The white population just left. Everybody sold their homes and departed for wherever--just not "here."

My daughter graduated from Elsik High School in 2001. There were less than 250 white students left in the school. Today, it's probably less than 100.

The government has managed to destroy my neighborhood in less than fifteen years. Home values are about 60% of what they were. Crime has skyrocketed. I should have left when everybody else did, but frankly I never believed it would get this bad. I did not associate "majority-minority" with serious neighborhood deterioration. I was wrong.

According to an assistant store manager, our local Kroger store was driven out of business by shoplifters and employee theft. The neighborhood has sprouted security bars overnight. We constantly battle graffiti on fences, subdivision walls, stores, freeway pillars, etc. We have a proliferation of "Llantas Usadas" used tire shops, junkyards and used car lots on Bellaire Blvd.

What I do not understand is why. What possible good can it have served to ruin a perfectly good neighborhood? Why would the government do this to us?
Why is it the governments fault and not societies fault? It is very sad that low income and high crime ect go hand in hand. But if everyone would have stayed in the area like yourself while not perfect it would be a much better neighborhood than it is now. Call it racist or social discrimination and is a major problem in Houston and a lot of major cities that as soon a few minorities move into an area everyone moves further out.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post

The government decided to build a low-income Federal Housing Project on Alief-Clodine road. The first thing they did was build a Park-and-Ride lot, which extended METRO bus service out to Alief. Immediately, houses went up for sale everywhere. At one point there were five houses for sale simultaneously on my block. Next, they built a new middle school, right across the street from the housing project, and right next to the Park and Ride lot. As soon as they built the housing project, we immediately had burglaries, car thefts, armed robberies, etc. out the roof. ...

The government has managed to destroy my neighborhood in less than fifteen years. Home values are about 60% of what they were. Crime has skyrocketed. I should have left when everybody else did, but frankly I never believed it would get this bad.
Sad. And now we have the TDHCA (state) funded projects to deal with as well. And they can go anywhere, not just areas like Alief. Although I don't think one complex/project can ruin an entire area (it's probably more complicated than that), it certainly is a factor.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
77077, not 77070. Neighborhoods that might work include briar village, Stonehenge, ashford west, April village, ashford hills, ashford south.
sorry!
that's exactly the area where I was looking to!
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: