Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM

29 posts, read 106,308 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving from California to Houston soon. My hubby works in the downtown area and we have a soon to be KG kid.

He goes to a private school in CA. This school is known for academics. The kid could read 3 to 4 letter words/small sentences and can also do simple additions/subtractions. We feel the school keeps him challenged and he is thriving here.

Questions that are running in our mind

1) If we live in Sugarland, is it easy to commute btwn Sugarland and downtown.
2) what are the best private schools to enroll our kid this fall that are academically focused. He thrives greatly in this environment and we want that for him. We dont care for too religious schools.
We are willing to spend whatever it takes to make sure he gets the best education (we can compromise on other aspects). We looked at St.johns, Awty and Kinkaid. Most seem closed for admissions for fall 2013. Thank you for any advice
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM

98 posts, read 205,134 times
Hi @gv_i, can I say I love the migration of families from California to Houston. You will love our housing and our taxes. Oh and every new resident gets a gun. haha. THat's a joke. But seriously, we strongly support the second amendment. Anyway, I did the commute from Sugarland to Downtown for a little over a year. It's about 30-45 minutes with some traffic. It's not bad given other parts of Houston and their commutes.

In regards to schools, I have heard good things about The Honor Roll School (The Honor Roll School Sugar Land TX | Preschool Missouri City). I know a few people who looked there, not sure if they officially enrolled. I know my daughter went to Kinkaid, but it may have been the teachers because she seem to backslide from what she had already learned from her mother who is a teacher. I have heard pretty nice things about The Goddard School as well.

I wish you the best of luck

Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
Contact the schools right away and talk to them. Your chances of getting a slot are small, it is true, but as a bona fide transfer I think the schools give you more leeway re late application. At least Awty does, which is where we are and which as an international school is quite accustomed to transfers. Acceptances for the past application season go out mid-March, and if you are a late transfer you may just get one of the offered slots that go untaken for whatever reason. Best of luck.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 AM

thank you, iamCraigHenry. we will check The Honor Roll School..seems a good focus on academics and our kid would love that.

fnh - thank you. how do you like awty from an academic standpoint? any insights on that appreciated.

Last edited by gv_i; 02-06-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 AM

102 posts, read 237,473 times
Calvary Episcopal School in "downtown Richmond" is like a best-kept secret in the area. A short drive from Sugar Land neighborhoods, very short from New Territory; most of our families come from Sugar Land although some also from Pecan Grove and even further north to Katy. It is considered very strong academically although it is the small family environment we really love. There is a small, newer high school/college-prep program, but many of the kids finish 8th here and go on to the most presitigious private high schools in Houston. There are also commuter groups to various schools. Come check us out!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM

thank you, Kaymur! I appreciate the response and help.
The only issue is we don't want to mix religion and school. but we will schedule a tour and get more information. If it is academically great, we can probably compromise

Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
fnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv_i View Post
fnh - thank you. how do you like awty from an academic standpoint? any insights on that appreciated.
Awty is fairly demanding, the Int'l section in particular is very fast-paced. It is a problem for some as Awty is not at all accommodating for the slower or less organized learner, and there is some attrition because of this. Honestly, though, we are there for the diverse student population. I personally would be quite content if the academics were somewhat less intense.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Are you committed to living in Sugarland? If so, forget about Kinkaid and St. John's..........in my mind, just plains nuts to go that far! Don't know anything about awty, but in looking at its location......again......nuts.

I don't know why anyone would live in Sugarland and work in Downtown Houston, but if that's the way it is, I would look at options closer to Sugarland.

Actually, I would move to Memorial and enroll him in an SBISD school.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
Default Re

You do know what it costs to live in most parts of memorial don't you? Maybe that is why....
I live in Sugarland and work downtown. Why do I work downtown? Because that is where my great job is at.
Why do I live in Sugarland? Because I can give my family a large comfortable home in a nice area with many conveniences close by. My home is new with all the bells and whistles. A similar home on a similar lot in Memorial....1.5 million dollars and up. I will assure you my home was significantly less. And most Sugarland schools are undoubtedly excellent. Some choose private, as we do, and that is their choice.

By the way my son goes to private school in Houston. he has no issues with the ride. Most days it is 30 minutes and he actually enjoys the time to talk about homework and other things. It is on my way to work so no big deal really. Just 10 extra minutes to exit and hop back on. So to the Original Poster, you do not have to forget about any school. The education you expect and are willing to pay for should not be limited by what is in your immediate area, nor should the home you live in be limited by location to school. You will just have to work a little harder for it.

I do admit it is less convenient, but that is the tradeoff my family and I made.

Quote:
Are you committed to living in Sugarland? If so, forget about Kinkaid and St. John's..........in my mind, just plains nuts to go that far! Don't know anything about awty, but in looking at its location......again......nuts.

I don't know why anyone would live in Sugarland and work in Downtown Houston, but if that's the way it is, I would look at options closer to Sugarland.

Actually, I would move to Memorial and enroll him in an SBISD school.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
fnh

There are a surprising number of kids at Awty who live in Sugar Land, enough for a student bus route there I believe. Sugar Land is not appreciably further from downtown than the more affordable areas of Memorial (west of beltway) and Fort Bend schools are consistently ranked best in state, if those metrics float your boat. I can see the appeal of Sugar Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston